Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The usual...

Since he got a Twitter and learned to copy/paste lol

It’s not just Texas A&M that is having to do that.    I just feel like offense is prioritized in TXHSF. Some kids in Texas need to stop being average RBs and WRs and be good LBs and DBs.

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

That’s terrible for that kid. He’s on the Jordan Shipley plan now. 

Yea.. two season ending Injuries his first two years on campus ####. The kid is a freak too. You just don't see kids with his size and athletic ability too often, but he may not ever do much on the football field because of his health. It stinks because he was the clear cut starter over wydermeyer last year until he got hurt and wydermeyer looks to be a stud so cupp might have been the real deal as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Yea.. two season ending Injuries his first two years on campus ####. The kid is a freak too. You just don't see kids with his size and athletic ability too often, but he may not ever do much on the football field because of his health. It stinks because he was the clear cut starter over wydermeyer last year until he got hurt and wydermeyer looks to be a stud so cupp might have been the real deal as well. 

One positive is it wasn’t another knee injury. It’s hard for a TE to come back from 1 knee injury but 2 would be almost impossible. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to hear about Cupp. I've been waiting to see that kid play. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2020 at 8:26 AM, Lobo97 said:

I hate to hear about Cupp. I've been waiting to see that kid play. 

Is he the kid out of Brock, TX? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Yes he is.

We scrimmaged them his senior year.  Kid was a beast physically, but we held him in check receiving... but again, it was a scrimmage... how effective can you be in 20 plays?  😂

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

We scrimmaged them his senior year.  Kid was a beast physically, but we held him in check receiving... but again, it was a scrimmage... how effective can you be in 20 plays?  😂

Aggie fans ask this same question about Mond every Saturday. 😂 Mav, it just amazes me how  a kid can have the talent but the body wont let him achieve it. That’s what I’m afraid of with Cupp. A physical freak who just can’t stay healthy for reasons not his own fault. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Stoney said:

Aggie fans ask this same question about Mond every Saturday. 😂 Mav, it just amazes me how  a kid can have the talent but the body wont let him achieve it. That’s what I’m afraid of with Cupp. A physical freak who just can’t stay healthy for reasons not his own fault. 

I’d say it’s the gray matter between his ears more so   than his body.  The kid is athletic 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I’d say it’s the gray matter between his ears morris than his body.  The kid is athletic 

Mond? You can tell he was a kid got that got by on talent at the high school level without learning the mental side of being a QB. Learning on the fly has been up and down for him. The highs have been high but dang at those lows.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Mond? You can tell he was a kid got that got by on talent at the high school level without learning the mental side of being a QB. Learning on the fly has been up and down for him. The highs have been high but dang at those lows.

Playing QB for jimbo is also one of the hardest mental positions in college football. Mond probably would be more effective running something similar to what Herman runs at Texas. Let him use his legs a lot and simple quick reads on throws. He would need to improve his touch on fades but he would do well on the rest of it and its a simple offense that would let him just play instead of having to think too much. 

 

I also think Mond is a much better qb when he's got a running game going. And with more experience and depth on the online and rb group that area should improve a little to help him. If they can't run the ball, they will need for jimbo to let mond run more and give him some quicker reads. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Playing QB for jimbo is also one of the hardest mental positions in college football. Mond probably would be more effective running something similar to what Herman runs at Texas. Let him use his legs a lot and simple quick reads on throws. He would need to improve his touch on fades but he would do well on the rest of it and its a simple offense that would let him just play instead of having to think too much. 

 

I also think Mond is a much better qb when he's got a running game going. And with more experience and depth on the online and rb group that area should improve a little to help him. If they can't run the ball, they will need for jimbo to let mond run more and give him some quicker reads. 

WET, how much blame are you giving the o-line play last year on Henson’s first year? I think losing Turner hurt. Second year under Henson there’s no way this o-line should struggle like last year, right? McCollum should be an improvement over a undersized Prater. I don’t know about Kenyon Green moving to the left side away from Carson Green. Carson Green couldn’t stop the Alabama end even if the refs said he could have tackled him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Playing QB for jimbo is also one of the hardest mental positions in college football. Mond probably would be more effective running something similar to what Herman runs at Texas. Let him use his legs a lot and simple quick reads on throws. He would need to improve his touch on fades but he would do well on the rest of it and its a simple offense that would let him just play instead of having to think too much. 

 

I also think Mond is a much better qb when he's got a running game going. And with more experience and depth on the online and rb group that area should improve a little to help him. If they can't run the ball, they will need for jimbo to let mond run more and give him some quicker reads. 

I’ve seen you post that about jimbo’s offense being harder to run than anybody else’s.  Why do you think that?  And why do you think Herman’s offense would be easier to maneuver?  Just curious as to where you get this information too

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stoney said:

WET, how much blame are you giving the o-line play last year on Henson’s first year? I think losing Turner hurt. Second year under Henson there’s no way this o-line should struggle like last year, right? McCollum should be an improvement over a undersized Prater. I don’t know about Kenyon Green moving to the left side away from Carson Green. Carson Green couldn’t stop the Alabama end even if the refs said he could have tackled him.

This zone blocking scheme does not fit the roster (starting 5 at least) aside from Kenyon Green. Thats the biggest issue. You have a line that is big up front and built for mauling hat on a hat like they did in 2018 (pretty well) and you asked them to play a completely different style than what they were use to or even equipped for. This group is just limited athletically to be very good at this outside of K Green. This year should be easier on them, but they will still be a middle of the road at best unit. Thus why having the 12 personnel look with Cupp was going to be so crucial. You get a guy that can give you numbers in the run game while also able to make the defense pay for not being honest. Similar to 2018. 

So in short, this unit should improve some but i don't expect great leaps. Communication should be much better which is crucial in a zone scheme and that should help. Also the TEs and RBs being a year older will help in their blocking as well. 

I do think this offense will be better, but its still limited. This team will win a lot of games if the defense plays as expected though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DB2point0 said:

I’ve seen you post that about jimbo’s offense being harder to run than anybody else’s.  Why do you think that?  And why do you think Herman’s offense would be easier to maneuver?  Just curious as to where you get this information too

Because I know football. Ask anyone who's ever played or coached at a high level and they will tell you. Jimbos west coast is extremely complicated on Qbs and Wrs. Its much harder than a system like Herman's which is predicated on quick easy reads and RPOs. 

Im not knocking Herman or texas with this statement btw. There is nothing wrong with those offenses as the majority of college football runs them now. But they are much easier mentally to process than the West Coast. It doesn't make Jimbos offense any better, he's just old school. There's a reason why most teams have shifted from the pro style offenses to the spread containing air raid and RPO looks. Even Jimbo uses some packages containing those, its just not his goal to run it all the time. Which is my knock on him. Win games however you can. If Mond needs more RPOs in the offrnse than do it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WETSU said:

Because I know football. Ask anyone who's ever played or coached at a high level and they will tell you. Jimbos west coast is extremely complicated on Qbs and Wrs. Its much harder than a system like Herman's which is predicated on quick easy reads and RPOs. 

Im not knocking Herman or texas with this statement btw. There is nothing wrong with those offenses as the majority of college football runs them now. But they are much easier mentally to process than the West Coast. It doesn't make Jimbos offense any better, he's just old school. There's a reason why most teams have shifted from the pro style offenses to the spread containing air raid and RPO looks. Even Jimbo uses some packages containing those, its just not his goal to run it all the time. Which is my knock on him. Win games however you can. If Mond needs more RPOs in the offrnse than do it. 

Winston wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed and he ran it well.  I’ve often heard the west coast was harder to operate, but then again if it’s not the best offense to run then why put added pressure on your players.  Yea, some teams have won with it, but some have struggled so it makes me ask (if it is that much more difficult) why use it.  I’ve watched the Aggies the last two years and Have seen quite a bit of RPO and simple reads.  Is Jimbo trying to get away from it?  Just trying to have conversation on the matter.  I’m not familiar with the inner workings of the WC as a whole

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Winston wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed and he ran it well.  I’ve often heard the west coast was harder to operate, but then again if it’s not the best offense to run then why put added pressure on your players.  Yea, some teams have won with it, but some have struggled so it makes me ask (if it is that much more difficult) why use it.  I’ve watched the Aggies the last two years and Have seen quite a bit of RPO and simple reads.  Is Jimbo trying to get away from it?  Just trying to have conversation on the matter.  I’m not familiar with the inner workings of the WC as a whole

Scary to think that Winston is sharper than Mond.  If I were Mond I would be worried!!  Stretching here of course!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Winston wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed and he ran it well.  I’ve often heard the west coast was harder to operate, but then again if it’s not the best offense to run then why put added pressure on your players.  Yea, some teams have won with it, but some have struggled so it makes me ask (if it is that much more difficult) why use it.  I’ve watched the Aggies the last two years and Have seen quite a bit of RPO and simple reads.  Is Jimbo trying to get away from it?  Just trying to have conversation on the matter.  I’m not familiar with the inner workings of the WC as a whole

A&M ran RPO looks on about 18% of its plays last year. Many people think if that number went up to 25% it would be very helpful. 

As to your question why run it if its harder to operate, that's like saying why run the hurry up if you're going to put more pressure on your defense? Every choice of scheme has its pros and cons. The west coast can give you lots of flexibility and make you hard to game plan for. You can run the ball from multiple looks and push the ball downfield well via Playaction if you have the qb and a good enough oline to run it. What makes it a hard offense is the reads are slower because there are lots of post snap decisions that WR and QBs have to make. With slower reads and multiple reads happening it takes longer to get the ball out which puts pressure on the oline as well as makes the chemistry between wr and qb that much more important. 

Its not a better or worse offense. I truly wasn't taking a shot at herman when I said it. Complexity doesn't always equate to results. In fact its usually the opposite. That's why most teams have abandoned this in favor of simpler quicker offense that let you take advantage of teams with tempo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

 

Scary to think that Winston is sharper than Mond.  If I were Mond I would be worried!!  Stretching here of course!

I dont think it's intelligence more decision making. Mond isn't a confident decision maker out there and Winston is. Now winston just threw 30 ints last year so as you see confidence in making a decision isn't always better lol. 

 

That being said, at FSU winston played for the most talented team in weaker conference. Mond last year was on the weaker roster probably 5 of 12 games. Its not comparing apples to oranges. Winston wasn't hit near the amount of times mond was last season. Not saying I think mond is better or even on that level with winston, I just think its hard to compare them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WETSU said:

A&M ran RPO looks on about 18% of its plays last year. Many people think if that number went up to 25% it would be very helpful. 

As to your question why run it if its harder to operate, that's like saying why run the hurry up if you're going to put more pressure on your defense? Every choice of scheme has its pros and cons. The west coast can give you lots of flexibility and make you hard to game plan for. You can run the ball from multiple looks and push the ball downfield well via Playaction if you have the qb and a good enough oline to run it. What makes it a hard offense is the reads are slower because there are lots of post snap decisions that WR and QBs have to make. With slower reads and multiple reads happening it takes longer to get the ball out which puts pressure on the oline as well as makes the chemistry between wr and qb that much more important. 

Its not a better or worse offense. I truly wasn't taking a shot at herman when I said it. Complexity doesn't always equate to results. In fact its usually the opposite. That's why most teams have abandoned this in favor of simpler quicker offense that let you take advantage of teams with tempo. 

Everything I’ve read on it says that it’s predicated on timing, crossing routes and WRs that can catch in traffic with an accurate QB (Walsh’s version).  Mond has shown to be anything but accurate.  I guess it brings me to the next question.  Why doesn’t Jimbo adapt to the talent?  Why stick with mond?    Is he that stubborn to stay with something? I know I’ve read here the disdain for Mond but should it be aimed at Jimbo?  You know, the square peg in the round hole thing

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Everything I’ve read on it says that it’s predicated on timing, crossing routes and WRs that can catch in traffic with an accurate QB (Walsh’s version).  Mond has shown to be anything but accurate.  I guess it brings me to the next question.  Why doesn’t Jimbo adapt to the talent?  Why stick with mond?    Is he that stubborn to stay with something? I know I’ve read here the disdain for Mond but should it be aimed at Jimbo?  You know, the square peg in the round hole thing

Mond is fine on the intermediate stuff. A tad high from time to time but he hits the short to intermediate stuff fine. Its the deep throws he hasnt been able to hit. And thats Whats hurting the offense is the lack of a deep threat. A&M hasn't had a burner at WR that could get open. Mond hasn't shown he could hit him consistently even if he could. Thats what limits the offense. Demas is a legit deep threat. If mond can hit him even just once a game on a go route it will open up the offense tremendously. Teams all last year used their safety in the run game because they didn't have to respect a deep threat. Who knows if Mond can hit him accurately, but they finally have a guy on the roster who can be that threat. If teams respect it even just a little bit, it opens up the run game a little bit more which helps the play action game ect... Lacking a true deep threat will absolutely kill a run heavy west coast offense. There's no reason for a team to not cheat too much otherwise. 

As far as why Jimbo hasnt adjusted, I think it's because he's coaching for the long haul. I think he wants his system to work and was willing to let his team take its lumps in the first two years in order to learn how to play his way. He's recruited guys like King who are literally perfect for his offense and I believe he was willing to get the rest of the team acclimated to his system at the expense of a win or two early. I think he has always been coaching for year 3-4. I also think he's just that stubborn to believe his way will work (most coaches are.) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...