The Smoakhouse Forums

4 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

I think it has more to do with how Florida just man handled Georgia. If Florida plays Alabama in the SEC Championship and wins, Aggie fans are about to get a better understanding of what happened years ago when OU jumped Texas with a three way 1 loss tie involving Texas Tech.

Lol we know what happened. It's what you guys THINK that happened is the reason it's still talked about lol

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The usual...

I find both fanbases equally annoying, and seldom find myself rooting for either team.   That said: I would LOVE to watch a Texas/Texas A&M game every Thanksgiving. 

Posted Images

20 hours ago, WETSU said:

Lol we know what happened. It's what you guys THINK that happened is the reason it's still talked about lol

The bottom line is if you are going to lose, you better lose early. 

PS: Texas finished the year beating Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. OU lost to Florida in the NC game, and Tech lost to #25 ranked Ole Miss in the Cotton Bowl.  

• Like 1
20 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I mean in that scenario, we'd have nothing to cry about cause we didn't take care of business. 

IMHO only time a team has something to complain about is if they go undefeated and get left out. I think every team deserves at least a shot. 

What do you think happens if Florida does play Alabama and wins in the SEC championship? How do you see the teams lining up in the SEC only. Too much to think about when bringing in other conferences, but the SEC could get two teams into the Playoff. We already know the BIG 12 won't be represented. Ohio St, Notre Dame, Clemson, Oregon, Cincy, BYU - so many teams that are still alive with a legitimate shot in the Top 4.

10 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

What do you think happens if Florida does play Alabama and wins in the SEC championship? How do you see the teams lining up in the SEC only. Too much to think about when bringing in other conferences, but the SEC could get two teams into the Playoff. We already know the BIG 12 won't be represented. Ohio St, Notre Dame, Clemson, Oregon, Cincy, BYU - so many teams that are still alive with a legitimate shot in the Top 4.

I know you didn't quote me on this but I believe in that scenario Bama is still in unless they get embarrassed. 

The real question will be what if Ohio st drops a game and Florida barely beats bama and Clemson wins the rematch with ND. At that point all hell breaks loose. You could be looking at 6-7 one loss teams and potentially BYU and Cincy undefeated trying to make a case... And that's without even factoring in the Pac 12 or a potential 1 loss Oklahoma st. 

31 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

I think in that scenario, two 1-loss SEC teams would get in. I'd guess Bama and Florida, but it could be A&M depending on how good or bad each team looks late in the year. Don't necessarily agree with it, but I think that's what would happen. But that depends on what happens in the ACC Championship as well. If Clemson beats ND, then we've REALLY had a wrench thrown in. 

The playoff committee didn't bring in UCF and won't bring in Cincy/BYU, though I feel like they deserve a chance. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, WETSU said:

I know you didn't quote me on this but I believe in that scenario Bama is still in unless they get embarrassed. 

The real question will be what if Ohio st drops a game and Florida barely beats bama and Clemson wins the rematch with ND. At that point all hell breaks loose. You could be looking at 6-7 one loss teams and potentially BYU and Cincy undefeated trying to make a case... And that's without even factoring in the Pac 12 or a potential 1 loss Oklahoma st. 

That would be AWESOME! Anything to disrupt the current 4 team scenario in my opinion. I hear all the time that the same problems would come up with 8 teams or more in regards to who gets left out, but I think it's much less debatable when a #9 seed gets left out rather than a #5 seed. I'll say it again for those in back - this year has proven that we don't have to have a 12 game regular season. We can easily drop it to 10 games and add extra weeks to playoff games.

Appreciate the comment WETSU. I was really hoping to hear from you and JohnnyFootball on this topic.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

That would be AWESOME! Anything to disrupt the current 4 team scenario in my opinion. I hear all the time that the same problems would come up with 8 teams or more in regards to who gets left out, but I think it's much less debatable when a #9 seed gets left out rather than a #5 seed. I'll say it again for those in back - this year has proven that we don't have to have a 12 game regular season. We can easily drop it to 10 games and add extra weeks to playoff games.

Appreciate the comment WETSU. I was really hoping to hear from you and JohnnyFootball on this topic.

I am 100% on board with each team playing a 10 game conference schedule then expanding the playoff field to 8. I think a conference only schedule has made this one of my favorite seasons ever. I also think if we get rid of regular season OOC games, it will make EVERY bowl game more exciting to watch. It will be our measuring stick and teams might be more motivated to play in the non NY6 bowls if its the only OOC team they play. 

• Like 1
On 10/10/2020 at 2:36 PM, WETSU said:

Don't go anywhere man. The satisfaction of winning is enough for me. 

Sorry!  That’s not me!  I hold up my end of bets.  I can see you prolly wouldn’t have had you lost.  Congrats on the nice season so far

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Sorry!  That’s not me!  I hold up my end of bets.  I can see you prolly wouldn’t have had you lost.  Congrats on the nice season so far

Don't be a tool. Using your first post back to insult my integrity doesn't exactly make your integrity look any good. You lost. I was gracious in victory and said you can stay. Doesn't mean I wouldn't have honored my end had the situation been reversed. But it wasn't. You lost. Enough said. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Don't be a tool. Using your first post back to insult my integrity doesn't exactly make your integrity look any good. You lost. I was gracious in victory and said you can stay. Doesn't mean I wouldn't have honored my end had the situation been reversed. But it wasn't. You lost. Enough said. 

I honored the bet.   You said I prolly wouldn’t.  

A&M/Ole Miss postponed.

Kam Brown in the portal.

Anthony Hines going pro.

Perroni put in a CB for Tunmise Adeleye for A&M.

8 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Cool story bro

Man it's Thanksgiving week and although our two schools just aren't supposed to care about playing one another any longer, I miss these days. I've got so many Aggie friends, and we cherished this week. For so many years this was a week of preparing for round three of the state playoffs without school while talking smack about the "other" big game. And you guys know that many, many times the so called best team didn't win. Now both programs really don't want to play one another because of the consequences of losing as it pertains to recruiting. Back in the day it wasn't such a big deal because you knew you would be playing again next year. Losing sucked, but it also fed into the off-season to avenge the loss. Maybe soon we can schedule a home/away series. I'd like that much better than a bowl game - much more on the line IMO.

28 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Man it's Thanksgiving week and although our two schools just aren't supposed to care about playing one another any longer, I miss these days. I've got so many Aggie friends, and we cherished this week. For so many years this was a week of preparing for round three of the state playoffs without school while talking smack about the "other" big game. And you guys know that many, many times the so called best team didn't win. Now both programs really don't want to play one another because of the consequences of losing as it pertains to recruiting. Back in the day it wasn't such a big deal because you knew you would be playing again next year. Losing sucked, but it also fed into the off-season to avenge the loss. Maybe soon we can schedule a home/away series. I'd like that much better than a bowl game - much more on the line IMO.

I too want the game back. Mainly because I think my team is probably a 2 td favorite at the moment lol. But win or lose this game needs to be happening. But the only way I want it happening again is if Texas fans admit who their real rival is. You guys put a fraction of the energy into the ou rivalry as you do the A&M one. Everything from message board talk to cooler talk. I know people on both sides of the Texas/OU game and it literally gets talked about for about 3 weeks of the year regardless of outcome. Those same people though are still talking about a game and rivalry against A&M that ended nearly 10 years ago. Case and point this board and others like it. You'll see A&M talk all year round even though they don't play and haven't for awhile now. You get on a Texas board any time other than the week before, during and after the OU game and OU is a far second in the minds of most Texas fans in terms of who they "care enough" to be talking about. 

21 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I too want the game back. Mainly because I think my team is probably a 2 td favorite at the moment lol. But win or lose this game needs to be happening. But the only way I want it happening again is if Texas fans admit who their real rival is. You guys put a fraction of the energy into the ou rivalry as you do the A&M one. Everything from message board talk to cooler talk. I know people on both sides of the Texas/OU game and it literally gets talked about for about 3 weeks of the year regardless of outcome. Those same people though are still talking about a game and rivalry against A&M that ended nearly 10 years ago. Case and point this board and others like it. You'll see A&M talk all year round even though they don't play and haven't for awhile now. You get on a Texas board any time other than the week before, during and after the OU game and OU is a far second in the minds of most Texas fans in terms of who they "care enough" to be talking about. 

It’s because they aren’t the big dog in that rivalry.

And Oklahoma and Texas just don’t have as many recruiting battles as they used to.

47 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Actually your statement about both teams not wanting to play is incorrect.  Herman and CDC have both reached out to make it happen.  Both times the Aggies have had “full” schedules while setting up games with Mid major teams shortly after.  

22 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Funny, you were opposed to the game a few years back.  I think the game would be a toss up at the moment.  These last 7-8 years were the perfect time for the Aggies to have turned the table on the little brother stigma with Texas being down.  Spite is never good

25 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Funny, you were opposed to the game a few years back.  I think the game would be a toss up at the moment.  These last 7-8 years were the perfect time for the Aggies to have turned the table on the little brother stigma with Texas being down.  Spite is never good

No. I've never said I didnt want the game. Ever. And lol at toss up. There isn't a rational football person alive that has watched the two teams play and think that's a toss up. 

33 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Actually your statement about both teams not wanting to play is incorrect.  Herman and CDC have both reached out to make it happen.  Both times the Aggies have had “full” schedules while setting up games with Mid major teams shortly after.  

You're the only person arrogant enough to believe that. 

Here is the real story. A&M offered to keep the game as they were leaving. Texas refused. Texas then years later puts out a statement saying they asked to play and A&M refused. That story was never to my knowledge verified by both schools just one. And even if it was verified by both you do not know the details surrounding it. Maybe there were stipulations unfairly sided. Maybe Texas wanted a specific week and A&M wouldn't guarantee that. Maybe it was a 1 time offer and not a continuous home and home that would reignite the series. You don't know the whole story, and your arrogant assumption based off a wanna be news story is naive. 

The truth is BOTH sides have dodged this at some point or another and continue to play cat and mouse instead of giving us what we want. And anyone who implies any different based off of one cdc statement is a mouth breather. 

39 minutes ago, WETSU said:

You're the only person arrogant enough to believe that. 

Here is the real story. A&M offered to keep the game as they were leaving. Texas refused. Texas then years later puts out a statement saying they asked to play and A&M refused. That story was never to my knowledge verified by both schools just one. And even if it was verified by both you do not know the details surrounding it. Maybe there were stipulations unfairly sided. Maybe Texas wanted a specific week and A&M wouldn't guarantee that. Maybe it was a 1 time offer and not a continuous home and home that would reignite the series. You don't know the whole story, and your arrogant assumption based off a wanna be news story is naive. 

The truth is BOTH sides have dodged this at some point or another and continue to play cat and mouse instead of giving us what we want. And anyone who implies any different based off of one cdc statement is a mouth breather. 

We all know what happened.  It’s been posted here multiple times.  But saying both don’t want it is incorrect.  Playing the game has been approached lately and one school is the reason it is not as of now

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-football/texas-am-football-texas-ad-chris-del-conte-rivalry-returned-i-do-believe-game-should-be-played/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-football/texas-am-texas-rivalry-aggies-not-coming-back/