1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

The NCAA has no control over the playoff. That’s part of the issue.

And I don’t think that was the Big 10’s intent either. They have the toughest scheduling rules of any of the P5 conferences. They don’t allow FCS schools and they play 9 conference games. They weren’t trying to duck anything. 

The issue not the Big 10. It is the playoff committee. If Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, or even Oklahoma were in the same position as Ohio State they would be included too. That is what happens sometimes when to try to determine the “best” teams instead of rewarding the deserving ones. Those schools are always going to be considered “better” because of their name and the talent that is on their rosters. 

No one with any common sense thinks a team is better based on the eye test. They had every opportunity to schedule ten games like everyone else. If that costs them a playoff spot, tough. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The usual...

I find both fanbases equally annoying, and seldom find myself rooting for either team.   That said: I would LOVE to watch a Texas/Texas A&M game every Thanksgiving. 

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

No one with any common sense thinks a team is better based on the eye test. They had every opportunity to schedule ten games like everyone else. If that costs them a playoff spot, tough. 

You must not have listened the playoff committees in the past. 

It won’t cost them a playoff spot. They are Ohio State. Just like it would not cost Alabama a playoff spot if they were 6-0 team in the scenario.

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

Well I guess just about all the big time college football analyst have no common sense because they literally use the term "eye test" all the time. 2020 is a year that has been screwed up from the beginning. Fact is if the BIG 10 didn't get pressured by players threatening to transfer, parents boycotting schools, and fans - including the President of the US - calling for allowing the teams to play, there wouldn't have even been a BIG 10 schedule. When they decided to play the pressure was put on the PAC 12. You can't blame Ohio State because three scheduled games have been canceled this year due to a pandemic. I expect the BIG 10 to amend their rule and allow Ohio State to play in the championship game for their sixth game of the year. If they win, they should be in the playoff. If not, the Aggies will have an opportunity as long as their isn't a major upset against Tennessee. 

Just now, trueblue82 said:

No Coastal Carolina?

Man I've always advocated for a playoff bracket that included all conference champions. I hate that there are teams in FBS football that go into the season knowing no matter how well they play they will zero chance at winning a NC. I got this pic off Twitter. Many argued that BYU deserved a shot and CC beat them. 

29 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Well I guess just about all the big time college football analyst have no common sense because they literally use the term "eye test" all the time. 2020 is a year that has been screwed up from the beginning. Fact is if the BIG 10 didn't get pressured by players threatening to transfer, parents boycotting schools, and fans - including the President of the US - calling for allowing the teams to play, there wouldn't have even been a BIG 10 schedule. When they decided to play the pressure was put on the PAC 12. You can't blame Ohio State because three scheduled games have been canceled this year due to a pandemic. I expect the BIG 10 to amend their rule and allow Ohio State to play in the championship game for their sixth game of the year. If they win, they should be in the playoff. If not, the Aggies will have an opportunity as long as their isn't a major upset against Tennessee. 

I can blame whoever I want for whatever I want. As far as the TV talking heads not having common sense, I’m not gonna touch that. Common sense says 9 wins in the SEC is better than 5 in the Big10. Change my mind. 

2 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Man I've always advocated for a playoff bracket that included all conference champions. I hate that there are teams in FBS football that go into the season knowing no matter how well they play they will zero chance at winning a NC. I got this pic off Twitter. Many argued that BYU deserved a shot and CC beat them. 

They’ll finish with twice as many wins as your #4. Good enough for me. 

They’ll finish with twice as many wins as your #4. Good enough for me. 

Not my #4. The College Football Selection Committee's #4. Also the Coaches' Poll #4 and AP Poll #3.

I can blame whoever I want for whatever I want. As far as the TV talking heads not having common sense, I’m not gonna touch that. Common sense says 9 wins in the SEC is better than 5 in the Big10. Change my mind. 

Maybe in year's past, but not this year. SEC is down, especially the West. Or maybe it's because the SEC teams don't get their 3-4 automatic wins in non-conference play that boosts their winning percentage which also boosts their rankings. 

3 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Maybe in year's past, but not this year. SEC is down, especially the West. Or maybe it's because the SEC teams don't get their 3-4 automatic wins in non-conference play that boosts their winning percentage which also boosts their rankings. 

Can anyone in a conference with Kansas automatically on every participants schedule really use this argument?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

I'd also argue the only team in the west that's down is LSU. Possibly miss st but idk they really were up the last few years and this is more their norm than being down. 

Bama is normal.

A&M is up. 

Arkansas is up from the last few years. 

Auburn is about where they have been. 

LSU is down

Ole.miss about where they have been. 

Miss st lets say down for arguments sake. 

So you saw essentially two teams rise while two teams fell. Doesn't seem like the division is down but more so a slight power shift. Maybe thats just me. 

4 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Can anyone in a conference with Kansas automatically on every participants schedule really use this argument?

It's always Kansas. Kansas has won a BCS bowl. Something A&M has not accomplished to my knowledge.

7 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I'd also argue the only team in the west that's down is LSU. Possibly miss st but idk they really were up the last few years and this is more their norm than being down. 

Bama is normal.

A&M is up. 

Arkansas is up from the last few years. 

Auburn is about where they have been. 

LSU is down

Ole.miss about where they have been. 

Miss st lets say down for arguments sake. 

So you saw essentially two teams rise while two teams fell. Doesn't seem like the division is down but more so a slight power shift. Maybe thats just me. 

Bama is Bama.

A&M up.

Arkansas up in the fact that they are competing.

Auburn down - nobody fears them like in the past.

LSU way down - lost a ton of starters.

Ole Miss nothing special. They've got 4 wins against 4 of the weakest SEC teams.

Miss St is bad. They got a lot of press when the best LSU early.

Bama is a powerhouse. Aggies played their butt off in the win over Florida. Without that win, nobody would be talking about A&M due to the mediocre teams in the West this year. BUT A&M did win, and even though you guys were man handled by Bama, you've got a pretty good chance at a rematch.

34 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

It's always Kansas. Kansas has won a BCS bowl. Something A&M has not accomplished to my knowledge.

Do you really think that is relevant to this? One bowl game vs the results of disrupting decades? If so, I'm just gonna stop. I can literally have better discussions with my dog. 

23 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Bama is Bama.

A&M up.

Ole Miss nothing special. They've got 4 wins against 4 of the weakest SEC teams.

Bama is a powerhouse. Aggies played their butt off in the win over Florida. Without that win, nobody would be talking about A&M due to the mediocre teams in the West this year. BUT A&M did win, and even though you guys were man handled by Bama, you've got a pretty good chance at a rematch.

Auburn is going to finish 3rd in the west. About where they average. They aren't "down" they just aren't up either. They may seem down because they really don't have a signature win, but they aren't record wise much different than normal. They are always this inconsistent beat someone they shouldn't then lose to someone they shouldn't team under Gus. Difference is this year they didnt have that win a game they shouldn't. 

Everyone else you're accurate on for the most part. Although I always laugh at people who make the argument A&M needed to play a perfect game to beat Florida essentially and act like florida is clearly the better team just lost that game. A&M has dominated their common opponents much more than florida has. 

Finally, Bama has and will destroy everyone they play this year offensively. Taking some back handed shot at A&M because they got blown out by them isn't saying much. 

1 hour ago, Lhornfan said:

I mean that was over 10 years ago. We could also say A&M has won a national championship, something 8 teams in the Big XII haven't done. It's just as relevant.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Valhalla said:

And I don’t think that was the Big 10’s intent either. They have the toughest scheduling rules of any of the P5 conferences. They don’t allow FCS schools and they play 9 conference games. They weren’t trying to duck anything. 

Yeah, exactly. 

Their intent was to make some big power play by cancelling the season and hoping they would've "led the charge" with everyone following them when they said to cancel as well.

When the other conferences told them to pound sand, there was NO possible way they could sit the season out. Heck, for the couple of weeks they were cancelled, coaches were already complaining recruits were turning their nose up at them because they didn't want to play. But they couldn't immediately reinstate the season because then their power play would've been completely obvious (as if it isn't still). 

So instead they were left with a shorter schedule and no way to work in makeup games like other conferences were able to have.

7 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

Bama is Bama.

A&M up.

Ok the SEC west is down (I’m playing along with you because I have nothing better to do.) Im not sure how you can claim “Covid” in trying to make the case for Ohio state to make the playoff based on an eye test and 5 wins, while not factoring Covid into a division not being the murderer’s row that it normally is, but I’ll give you a chance. Aside from Indiana, name the team that OSU has beaten that you think would go better than 3-6 against the schedule A&M has played. There’s the real test. I don’t think OSU goes better than 7-2 against that schedule, but I’m willing to give you the chance to make the case that their 5 wins are impressive enough to warrant a playoff spot. And go! 

On 12/5/2020 at 2:50 PM, Valhalla said:

I think Notre Dame and A&M are very similar teams. 

Good Run Game

Good Defense 

Struggle if they fall behind and are forced to pass the ball.

ND’s QB is slightly better... but he doesn’t have many good options to throw to.

8 hours ago, WETSU said:

Do you really think that is relevant to this? One bowl game vs the results of disrupting decades? If so, I'm just gonna stop. I can literally have better discussions with my dog. 

My post was as relevant as yours about Kansas. Over in the SEC we have Vanderbilt that is also winless, but you threw in the "plays every year" to discount them because they are in the East. A winless Vanderbilt that the Aggies did not dominate by the way. And just about anyone outside the SEC will agree that Auburn is down. They will finish 3rd in the East because someone has to. When you only play conference games in a year where the majority of your division is struggling, the wins and losses are going to be shared by one another. Bama and A&M are clearly in a different category than the remaining West this year, and it is that simple.

• Thanks 1

Ok the SEC west is down (I’m playing along with you because I have nothing better to do.) Im not sure how you can claim “Covid” in trying to make the case for Ohio state to make the playoff based on an eye test and 5 wins, while not factoring Covid into a division not being the murderer’s row that it normally is, but I’ll give you a chance. Aside from Indiana, name the team that OSU has beaten that you think would go better than 3-6 against the schedule A&M has played. There’s the real test. I don’t think OSU goes better than 7-2 against that schedule, but I’m willing to give you the chance to make the case that their 5 wins are impressive enough to warrant a playoff spot. And go! 

Ohio State would have the same record as the Aggies had they played their schedule.  Only difference is Ohio State wouldnt have lost to Bama in the fashion the Aggies did.  Ohio State would’ve blown Florida out of the water too 

4 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Ohio State would have the same record as the Aggies had they played their schedule.  Only difference is Ohio State wouldnt have lost to Bama in the fashion the Aggies did.  Ohio State would’ve blown Florida out of the water too 

Based on what ? Ohio St hasn’t really been tested other than Indiana maybe. I think Ohio gets in because of the blue blood factor rather than the deserving factor. Bama would have handled Ohio st in Alabama as well.

4 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

The same team that let indiana score 30+ points... Yea... They aren't blowing Florida anywhere. Florida can score with ohio st. 

According to ESPN's Heather Dinich and Adam Rittenberg, the league's 14 athletic directors have voted to change their rule mandating that a team must have played at least six games this season in order to qualify for the Big Ten Football Championship Game in Indianapolis on Dec. 19 We must take care of The Ohio State.