The Smoakhouse Forums

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The usual...

I find both fanbases equally annoying, and seldom find myself rooting for either team.   That said: I would LOVE to watch a Texas/Texas A&M game every Thanksgiving. 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

The other thing about playing weak OOC games late in the season it can falsely reinforce the "hot" team right now thought process that some hold dear to.

Again I ask, when has this made a difference? When has that gotten an undeserving SEC team into the playoffs?

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Again I ask, when has this made a difference? When has that gotten an undeserving SEC team into the playoffs?

Read: "it can". 

Meaning: the potential is there.

6 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Read: "it can". 

Meaning: the potential is there.

If we start playing that "what if" game where does it end? I agree with you on principal, but until it actually happens its pretty irrelevant.

I'm okay with doing away with FCS games. And I don't particularly think the sec teams just want them. Its a injury risk game that does nothing for you but get reps for your freshman non contributers. But I think lots of those games are to help out teams in the area. Notice how its always like A&M vs Sam or LSU vs northwestern st ect... Most of those programs field nearly their entire program on one game with a power 5 opponent. I'm for cutting it out but it will.come at a price to the small schools. 

All that being said, I really enjoyed an all conference schedule. I would 100% be okay with a 9-2 setup required for each conference. Or we could just do away with the big 12 (its just a matter of time) and have 4 power conferences and split them into better divisions and each conference winner gets a bid. Thats likely the easiest way of sorting this honestly. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

If we start playing that "what if" game where does it end? I agree with you on principal, but until it actually happens its pretty irrelevant.

I'm okay with doing away with FCS games. And I don't particularly think the sec teams just want them. Its a injury risk game that does nothing for you but get reps for your freshman non contributers. But I think lots of those games are to help out teams in the area. Notice how its always like A&M vs Sam or LSU vs northwestern st ect... Most of those programs field nearly their entire program on one game with a power 5 opponent. I'm for cutting it out but it will.come at a price to the small schools. 

"What if's" are always a part of the discussion.

What if Ingram had not fumbled on the one versus TCU?

What if Herman went for 2 against OU when they were on their heels?

What if the Florida player had not thrown the shoe?

What if all of the players for Clemson would have been available the first game against ND?

What if tOSU would have been at full strength (less 22 players) against NW? Would it have been a larger victory?

Even in this thread there have been the "what if" between the situation between comparing ND and A&M.

9 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

"What if's" are always a part of the discussion.

What if Ingram had not fumbled on the one versus TCU?

What if Herman went for 2 against OU when they were on their heels?

What if the Florida player had not thrown the shoe?

What if all of the players for Clemson would have been available the first game against ND?

What if tOSU would have been at full strength (less 22 players) against NW? Would it have been a larger victory?

Even in this thread there have been the "what if" between the situation between comparing ND and A&M.

No im okay with that. What I'm saying is talking about what ifs that weren't even on the schedule. Every what if you mentioned is okay. But using a what if talking about scheduling is too much. What if Cincy played in the big 10. What if UCF was in the acc? What if the big 12 had divisions instead of a round robin? What if the sec dropped divisions and went to just taking the top 2 teams? 

We can play what its about actual games and events during games, but what ifs about hypithetical schedules is too much. 

10 hours ago, WETSU said:

Do you believe if the tables were flipped it would be the same? I truly believe if this were flipped everyone would be saying A&M had their chance to clinch their spot and blew it and would put ND in. 

I dont expect the committee to put A&M in, but I do hope we get a good explanation. I believe ND had its chance to validate its question marks yesterday and failed. 

Oh there is definitely some perception working against A&M.  Although I think A&M would draw as big of TV ratings as ND.

Like I said before, they are essentially the same team.  Both are very solid.  No real flash to their offense this year.  They just beat you up and play great defense (minus that game vs Clemson for ND).  

A&M would draw a lot of Texas in their ratings, not to mention all of the people who hate A&M that would love to watch them get beat down like a Sooner fighting a Tiger.  Notre Dame pulls the nationwide Catholic crowd.

Both have weird things about them... Like A&M with the male only cheerleader crowd.  Notre Dame with the ugly redheaded guy dancing like a clown in a green suit.  Then you go to the mascots.  You have farmers with a mostly tame pet as their live mascot.  Notre Dame as countrymen not even from the US, represented by the clown above, symbolized by a weed...

I think its a wash.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Agreed. After this year, there need to be conference only schedules and re-doing the way playoffs are determined.

All conferences should use the same format.  If they vote to use 12 teams then all go to 12, or 14 if so.  There shouldn’t be some playing 8 and some 9 conference games.  No fcs teams and a minimum of p5 ooc games.  

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

This guy needs to give it up.  It’s not funny any more.  I like to hack with the local Aggies here, but in fun.  This guy is getting obnoxious and irritating.  Matter of fact, Texas has very little to brag about at the moment. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Bama  got the 4th spot once. It’s gotten two sec teams in before because Georgia played a weaker schedule.   It helps by not losing games late season when other conferences have ranked matchups and one loses.  It moves sec  teams up in the rankings thus helping strength of schedule and inflating the rankings.  

44 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

All conferences should use the same format.  If they vote to use 12 teams then all go to 12, or 14 if so.  There shouldn’t be some playing 8 and some 9 conference games.  No fcs teams and a minimum of p5 ooc games.  

You must be getting your talking points from listening to Coach Saban. He’s advocating for a Power 5 commissioner to develop consistency between the conferences and their rules. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WETSU said:

All that being said, I really enjoyed an all conference schedule. I would 100% be okay with a 9-2 setup required for each conference. Or we could just do away with the big 12 (its just a matter of time) and have 4 power conferences and split them into better divisions and each conference winner gets a bid. Thats likely the easiest way of sorting this honestly. 

This. 

Just don’t send Oklahoma to the PAC 12 lol.

33 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

You must be getting your talking points from listening to Coach Saban. He’s advocating for a Power 5 commissioner to develop consistency between the conferences and their rules. 

Nope.  Consistency is definitely needed when comparing body of work.

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

I’m making a new thread to address this.  No need to clutter this thread with other conference information

4 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Bama  got the 4th spot once. It’s gotten two sec teams in before because Georgia played a weaker schedule.   It helps by not losing games late season when other conferences have ranked matchups and one loses.  It moves sec  teams up in the rankings thus helping strength of schedule and inflating the rankings.  

Bama and Georgia both beat their opponents. They belonged. 

Not only that, they were 11-1 and 12-1. Ohio State was 11-2 and shouldn't have been ahead of either, no matter when their losses occured. Also Bamas loss came AFTER that late-season cupcake game (it was to Auburn). Georgia's came in week 10, just before it. I dont think it had an impact.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Bama and Georgia both beat their opponents. They belonged. 

Not only that, they were 11-1 and 12-1. Ohio State was 11-2 and shouldn't have been ahead of either, no matter when their losses occured. Also Bamas loss came AFTER that late-season cupcake game (it was to Auburn). Georgia's came in week 10, just before it. I dont think it had an impact.

I just think it should be 8 teams and champions with a couple at larges

• Like 1