The Smoakhouse Forums

8 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Bama and Georgia both beat their opponents. They belonged. 

Not only that, they were 11-1 and 12-1. Ohio State was 11-2 and shouldn't have been ahead of either, no matter when their losses occured. Also Bamas loss came AFTER that late-season cupcake game (it was to Auburn). Georgia's came in week 10, just before it. I dont think it had an impact.

But both teams also played late season cupcakes as did all their conference brethren.  While other conferences had teams losing (some ranked), the sec teams didn’t lose allowing them to move up the rankings giving a false sense to strength of schedule.  I know it’s not that you can’t see this, it’s that you don’t want to see it.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The usual...

I find both fanbases equally annoying, and seldom find myself rooting for either team.   That said: I would LOVE to watch a Texas/Texas A&M game every Thanksgiving. 

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

But both teams also played late season cupcakes as did all their conference brethren.  While other conferences had teams losing (some ranked), the sec teams didn’t lose allowing them to move up the rankings giving a false sense to strength of schedule.  I know it’s not that you can’t see this, it’s that you don’t want to see it.

You do know SOS does not factor In rankings right? Only records. And it actually hurts the sec in sos regards to have that late season fcs game. It doesn't help like you think it does. 

The only advantage I'd say it gives is a chance to rest some guys late in the year. 

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

You do know SOS does not factor In rankings right? Only records. And it actually hurts the sec in sos regards to have that late season fcs game. It doesn't help like you think it does. 

The only advantage I'd say it gives is a chance to rest some guys late in the year. 

That truly is the point and to have some bubble team to make a bowl game . 

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

A&M's problem was the same problem that Baylor and TCU had in 2014. 

They just aren't choosing you over someone like Notre Dame. It's not happening.

Agreed. You have to have your initial breakthrough be undisputed. After you get in and win the playoff though you'll get more looks. But with very similar resumes and even team styles, ND gets in over all but About 3 teams if the situation was the same. 

32 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Agreed. You have to have your initial breakthrough be undisputed. After you get in and win the playoff though you'll get more looks. But with very similar resumes and even team styles, ND gets in over all but About 3 teams if the situation was the same. 

Speaking of initial playoff wins, I saw a great college football fact posted on Twitter last week. There are only 6 teams with a College Football Playoff win - Alabama, Clemson, tOSU, LSU, Georgia, and Oregon. These are also the Top 6 teams in this year's 247 Recruiting Rankings as of right now. It's not a coincidence. In fact, A&M and ND are the next two ranked teams on 247. The days of being loyal to your state or area are gone for the most part; especially when it comes to the a lot of the 5 star and high 4 star players. These young men want to go were they know they will win and be seen.

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

I see it clearly and am explaining that it is irrelevant. Bama got in by losing AFTER their late-season gimme game...

Plus, strength of schedule is determined by wins and losses only, not when they took place. 

4 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Speaking of initial playoff wins, I saw a great college football fact posted on Twitter last week. There are only 6 teams with a College Football Playoff win - Alabama, Clemson, tOSU, LSU, Georgia, and Oregon. These are also the Top 6 teams in this year's 247 Recruiting Rankings as of right now. It's not a coincidence. In fact, A&M and ND are the next two ranked teams on 247. The days of being loyal to your state or area are gone for the most part; especially when it comes to the a lot of the 5 star and high 4 star players. These young men want to go were they know they will win and be seen.

And Oklahoma and Florida round out the top 10.

Shocker.

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I see it clearly and am explaining that it is irrelevant. Bama got in by losing AFTER their late-season gimme game...

Plus, strength of schedule is determined by wins and losses only, not when they took place. 

It doesn’t affect them only directly, but indirectly as well.  Their strength of schedule got stronger by all of their previous opponents not losing that week.  It’s pretty simple to understand.  Everybody else gets it.  Honestly, I’d like for the rest of the conferences to do it as well to negate the effect it has for the sec.  

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

If those teams they’ve already beaten win a gimme game it affects their strength of schedule  vs losing a 9th conference game.  

14 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

It doesn’t affect them only directly, but indirectly as well.  Their strength of schedule got stronger by all of their previous opponents not losing that week.  It’s pretty simple to understand.  Everybody else gets it.  Honestly, I’d like for the rest of the conferences to do it as well to negate the effect it has for the sec.  

Yes, but they got weaker because they all lost earlier in the season because the SEC played conference games earlier. Would it make you feel better if the November game where "SEC teams didn't get beat" were moved to earlier in the season? Why? 

Can someone translate his drivel, please? 

Lhornfan?

31 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Yes, but they got weaker because they all lost earlier in the season because the SEC played conference games earlier. Would it make you feel better if the November game where "SEC teams didn't get beat" were moved to earlier in the season? Why? 

Lhornfan?

Agree, I do not necessarily agree that it affects the SOS but it can allow for the resting of some players and can keep a hot streak alive.  All are a late season advantage.

37 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Lhornfan?

This is really my thought process and why I believe it is an advantage. 

Let's say that there are 6 SEC teams in the top 25 in that week. Well, the other 19 teams are playing a conference game where at least half of the teams in their conference will lose a game. In that week every SEC team is going to win there game which at worst will keep them stationary in the rankings. Some borderline teams might even sneak into the #20-#25 range that next week. Then they will place other SEC schools who will credit for a ranked win.

True, at the end of the day the SOS will be the same regardless, but in my opinion it influences perception towards the end of the season.

5 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Agree, I do not necessarily agree that it affects the SOS but it can allow for the resting of some players and can keep a hot streak alive.  All are a late season advantage.

Thats a fair argument. I'm not sure it gives as much of an advantage as you guys make it out to be, but I'll agree to see the point. 

(Btw none of us that are fans of the teams want those games.) 

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Thats a fair argument. I'm not sure it gives as much of an advantage as you guys make it out to be, but I'll agree to see the point. 

(Btw none of us that are fans of the teams want those games.) 

Alabama playing a weak opponent at the end of the year is the same reason high school coaches play week zero and schedule a bye prior to the district opener. Saban is resting up and getting ready for SEC Championship - playoffs. He can play the starters the first 4-5 possessions and reserves the remainder of the game. The focus is game time reps and nobody gets injured. Bama can do that because of the situation Saban has created there. They are banking on the fact that they will be one of the top teams in the country and playing in the SEC Championship - most likely against Georgia or Florida. Other conferences may be playing conference games that same week, but that is on them in the system they have created. This year has shown us what happens when conferences basically play only themselves. Take away 3 and sometimes 4 wins from the win column and it really sticks out. Teams like Coastal Carolina are rewarded in the rankings but I feel would be destroyed by a non-ranked Auburn or LSU or even Oklahoma State. Heck I'd take Baylor over CC. So has this year will open some eyes for future scheduling for sure.

Also WETSU brought up a good point. You take away some of these smaller school vs. P5 games, and you destroy the smaller school's budget; possibly their program within a few years.

2 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Alabama playing a weak opponent at the end of the year is the same reason high school coaches play week zero and schedule a bye prior to the district opener. Saban is resting up and getting ready for SEC Championship - playoffs. He can play the starters the first 4-5 possessions and reserves the remainder of the game. The focus is game time reps and nobody gets injured. Bama can do that because of the situation Saban has created there. They are banking on the fact that they will be one of the top teams in the country and playing in the SEC Championship - most likely against Georgia or Florida. Other conferences may be playing conference games that same week, but that is on them in the system they have created. This year has shown us what happens when conferences basically play only themselves. Take away 3 and sometimes 4 wins from the win column and it really sticks out. Teams like Coastal Carolina are rewarded in the rankings but I feel would be destroyed by a non-ranked Auburn or LSU or even Oklahoma State. Heck I'd take Baylor over CC. So has this year will open some eyes for future scheduling for sure.

Also WETSU brought up a good point. You take away some of these smaller school vs. P5 games, and you destroy the smaller school's budget; possibly their program within a few years.

Do not forget travel time.  By playing OOC games you are most likely playing it at home so that will provide at least one, maybe two more rest and prep days.  Not to mention allowing more recovery time for potentially injured players that can sit out a late OOC game.

1 minute ago, Lhornfan said:

Yes but at that same token, you're seeing the east team rest players as well... At the end of the day I just don't see it being as big of deal as its made out to be. 

I agree you're seeing win totals fall, but thats going to happen regardless when you only play each other. The league as a whole can only be .500 when you only play each other... Thats why I argued the sec isn't really down this year. They are what the always are except the switching of LSU/A&M and Georgia/Florida. Whether you have OOC games or not the conference "strength" is still about the same. 

Like I said before, outside from the cancelations and moving of games this has been my favorite season to watch. I have always wanted to watch better games. Win lose or draw, I'd always rather watch a conference matchup than playing a mid major or fcs. 

37 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Yes but at that same token, you're seeing the east team rest players as well... At the end of the day I just don't see it being as big of deal as its made out to be. 

I agree you're seeing win totals fall, but thats going to happen regardless when you only play each other. The league as a whole can only be .500 when you only play each other... Thats why I argued the sec isn't really down this year. They are what the always are except the switching of LSU/A&M and Georgia/Florida. Whether you have OOC games or not the conference "strength" is still about the same. 

Like I said before, outside from the cancelations and moving of games this has been my favorite season to watch. I have always wanted to watch better games. Win lose or draw, I'd always rather watch a conference matchup than playing a mid major or fcs. 

I would love to see more in conference games and a playoff system that rewards conference champions with an automatic bid. In the BIG XII everyone plays one another. There is no luck of scheduling to miss out on playing certain teams. There is no this could be our year because we don't have "fill in the blank" on our schedule. My point is the conference champion could have 2 or more losses, but they played everyone and came out on top. This is why they should be rewarded. The whole 4 team was dumb in my opinion from the start. Especially when FBS talks about the five P5 conferences. Jimbo stated it as good as anyone last week when he said college is different than the NFL. We don't play everyone. Different conferences have different situations that effect the games. Maybe this is why we see a lot of upsets in bowl games, or we see defenses that dominated their conference get destroyed or visa versa. I love the idea of conference scheduling because the best will rise to the top and offset the cellar dwellers with all the others in between.

1 hour ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

If strength of schedule is affected by wins and losses and nobody in the conference loses that week while ranked teams from other conferences do lose, it can only help the ones that didn’t lose.  It propels the teams that had easier games up the rankings while giving them an extra easy win late in the season.  It might even get a couple extra teams from the conference in the top 25 making that conference appear stronger than they are. I’ve heard the committee give the reason they beat more ranked teams or they come from a stronger conference.  It gives perception and helps their strength of schedule  

29 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

I would love to see more in conference games and a playoff system that rewards conference champions with an automatic bid. In the BIG XII everyone plays one another. There is no luck of scheduling to miss out on playing certain teams. There is no this could be our year because we don't have "fill in the blank" on our schedule. My point is the conference champion could have 2 or more losses, but they played everyone and came out on top. This is why they should be rewarded. The whole 4 team was dumb in my opinion from the start. Especially when FBS talks about the five P5 conferences. Jimbo stated it as good as anyone last week when he said college is different than the NFL. We don't play everyone. Different conferences have different situations that effect the games. Maybe this is why we see a lot of upsets in bowl games, or we see defenses that dominated their conference get destroyed or visa versa. I love the idea of conference scheduling because the best will rise to the top and offset the cellar dwellers with all the others in between.

And teams don’t get to schedule easy wins and start the year 4-0 automatically