The Smoakhouse Forums

7 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

Great points! I guess the only question is why they seem to fawn over the other SEC schools like Bama (goes with your big names), LSU, Auburn, Georgia, and Florida. Do you think it's because some still consider A&M new to the SEC? 

I don’t know that it’s so much being considered “new” as it is “unproven”. Aside from 2012, this is the first year that the Aggies have shown real success in the SEC. I think the potential has always been there. but it’s taken Jimbo three years to put the pieces together. What remains to be seen is how much they can maintain that level of performance. Can he hold the core of his staff together, and possibly make the upgrades he needs? Can they continue to recruit well and keep more of the top talent in Texas? Those are the keys to getting in position to challenge for a top spot in the SEC West. 

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The usual...

I find both fanbases equally annoying, and seldom find myself rooting for either team.   That said: I would LOVE to watch a Texas/Texas A&M game every Thanksgiving. 

Posted Images

Smart decision on his part. One injury filled year. Sat out most of the 2020 season to come back at the end. Definitely a good pick up for the secondary in 2021.

On 12/22/2020 at 3:51 PM, Lobo97 said:

What I don't understand, is why do people continue to make an argument that implies Waddle was the only player that had a great game against A&M? John Metchie was just as good during that game, if not better. And the last I checked, he has continued to get even better since then, as has DeVonta Smith (who just happens to be the best WR on the team, by the way). 

Would the outcome be different if they played again? Most likely not. Would it be a 28 point difference, no idea. But I do believe it would still be more than a 4 point game. 

Either way, it doesn't make any difference anyway as we won't be seeing it happen.

Do you understand how football works? Having a player like waddle changes the game. Ever wonder WHY Meachie went off on A&M? It was because A&M was so concerned with Waddle. Yes Bama is still loaded and likely would win, but losing Waddle is extremely significant because any time you lose a weapon of that caliber thats one less person the defense has to be concerned with and someone like Meachie becomes a focus rather than just flying under the radar. 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

Do you understand how football works? Having a player like waddle changes the game. Ever wonder WHY Meachie went off on A&M? It was because A&M was so concerned with Waddle. Yes Bama is still loaded and likely would win, but losing Waddle is extremely significant because any time you lose a weapon of that caliber thats one less person the defense has to be concerned with and someone like Meachie becomes a focus rather than just flying under the radar. 

The point is that it really does not matter who Bama rolls out there due to their depth.  Smith is Waddle's Lou Gherig.  Bama has not slowed down a bit with Waddle gone.  Smith is the Waddle and now "X" is the Smith to Waddle.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

The point is that it really does not matter who Bama rolls out there due to their depth.  Smith is Waddle's Lou Gherig.  Bama has not slowed down a bit with Waddle gone.  Smith is the Waddle and now "X" is the Smith to Waddle.

Thats not the same thing. Having BOTH on the field at the same time is better than one "replacing" the other. Anyone who thinks losing waddle doesnt matter because they have smith doesn't know football. 

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Thats not the same thing. Having BOTH on the field at the same time is better than one "replacing" the other. Anyone who thinks losing waddle doesnt matter because they have smith doesn't know football. 

When there’s little drop off from waddle to his replacement it’s not that big of a deal.  Bama recruits that well

8 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Why is it that whenever someone does not agree completely with you they do not know football?

• Thanks 2
44 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Why is it that whenever someone does not agree completely with you they do not know football?

Always been that way in the college football forum.  Remember how dumb we were for not calling JFF the best college football player of all-time? 

and to keep it relevant, I think Mike Evans made him great.  Losing that safety net made him great, not the greatest.

Joe Burrow made everyone around him better at LSU.  I think Burrow could have won a NC at A&M with any of A&M’s coaches minus Sumlin.  

Evans was A&M’s Burrow.  Bama has 8-10 Burrows 

• Like 2

I am not even trying to crap on A&M here, but this hits what I've been wanting to say to some of the A&M twitter fans for a while now...

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

I am not even trying to #### on A&M here, but this hits what I've been wanting to say to some of the A&M twitter fans for a while now...

I mean A&M lost to Alabama as most teams have... LSU is like 1-9 against Alabama in the last 10 meetings, right? They're a great team and have been for a decade. 

That doesn't mean Notre Dame belonged, nor that it'll be any less fun to watch them get blown out yet again.  

This thread is kinda hilarious the last few weeks... 

We can talk til we're blue in the face, but as it is, we don't get another shot at Bama. We had it and lost. All we can do now is go play in the Orange Bowl (heck of a consolation prize), hope to win in a strong performance, hope that the two teams who got in over us get proven to have not belonged, and laugh at the ESPN idiots.

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I mean A&M lost to Alabama as most teams have... LSU is like 1-9 against Alabama in the last 10 meetings, right? They're a great team and have been for a decade. 

That doesn't mean Notre Dame belonged, nor that it'll be any less fun to watch them get blown out yet again.  

A&M would suffer the same fate, as would 98% of college football most weeks vs Bama.  But A&M fans on Twitter are acting like they haven't already gotten their butts kicked by Bama this year.  All they are really saying "They kicked our butts so bad, get ready!  Oh yeah, that should be us there instead of you so it can happen again."  It's arrogance with flawed and dumb logic behind it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

We can talk til we're blue in the face, but as it is, we don't get another shot at Bama. We had it and lost. All we can do now is go play in the Orange Bowl (heck of a consolation prize), hope to win in a strong performance, hope that the two teams who got in over us get proven to have not belonged, and laugh at the ESPN idiots.

I hope Ohio State goes down in a flaming bag of poo.  They did not earn that spot IMO.  They are at the mercy of their conference and got bailed out by the NCAA financial support team and ESPN.  Notre Dame lost 1 game to the best team in their conference in the Conference Championship game against the team they beat earlier in the season.  A&M lost 1 game to the best team in the SEC, but they also don't have a win over that same team like Notre Dame.  That is where I see the logic behind putting them in over A&M.  But the B10 and PAC12 can kick rocks and drink pee.  They had no reason to not play football this year.  Jumping in on the party late so they can get their piece of the $$$ pie when the SEC B12 and ACC showed them how its done is hypocritical.  They should have been penalized for it.  It should be Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame and A&M.  That's it.  There is no argument for anyone else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I hope Ohio State goes down in a flaming bag of poo.  They did not earn that spot IMO.  They are at the mercy of their conference and got bailed out by the NCAA financial support team and ESPN.  Notre Dame lost 1 game to the best team in their conference in the Conference Championship game against the team they beat earlier in the season.  A&M lost 1 game to the best team in the SEC, but they also don't have a win over that same team like Notre Dame.  That is where I see the logic behind putting them in over A&M.  But the B10 and PAC12 can kick rocks and drink pee.  They had no reason to not play football this year.  Jumping in on the party late so they can get their piece of the $$$ pie when the SEC B12 and ACC showed them how its done is hypocritical.  They should have been penalized for it.  It should be Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame and A&M.  That's it.  There is no argument for anyone else.

Why does everyone intentionally leave out the fact that Notre Dame only beat Clemson at home in 2OT when their Heisman QB was out, as were 4 defenders due to COVID? 

It's disingenuous at best and downright dishonest at worst. When they played on a neutral field at full strength, ND lost to Clemson just as bad as A&M lost to Alabama.  

I agree regarding be B1G and PAC. 

5 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Why does everyone intentionally leave out the fact that Notre Dame only beat Clemson at home in 2OT when their Heisman QB was out, as were 4 defenders due to COVID? 

It's disingenuous at best and downright dishonest at worst. When they played on a neutral field at full strength, ND lost to Clemson just as bad as A&M lost to Alabama.  

I agree regarding be B1G and PAC. 

People are injured, quarantined, and opt out every day.  That is why I left that out.  Even without Trevor, Clemson would probably still finish top 4 this year IMO.  They wouldn't look as good, but they would still be great.

11 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

The thing is, it won’t matter. ND and OSU can both lose by 50 on New Year’s Day and the talking heads will double down on them getting in. You will never hear anyone on espn say anything like “Well, maybe the committee got it wrong.” They’ll dodge it and talk about how good BAMA and Clemson are. 

The point is, especially this year, is that Alabama and Clemson are heads and shoulders above everyone else. The other two teams were simply chosen on who can bring in the most money to help offset the financial losses due to COVID-19.

34 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

The point is, especially this year, is that Alabama and Clemson are heads and shoulders above everyone else. The other two teams were simply chosen on who can bring in the most money to help offset the financial losses due to COVID-19.

That has been the case for pretty much the whole playoff era.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

People are injured, quarantined, and opt out every day.  That is why I left that out.  Even without Trevor, Clemson would probably still finish top 4 this year IMO.  They wouldn't look as good, but they would still be great.

I mean finishing top 4 is one thing. But when you're routing that as a big win, you do need to include that. 

If A&M kills UNC, I expect everyone to point out that UNCs best players didn't play. Similar to when Texas beat UGA without 10 players.

18 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I am not even trying to #### on A&M here, but this hits what I've been wanting to say to some of the A&M twitter fans for a while now...

Too be fair this year is the first since 2012 that A&M is legitimate and good team. The rest have been decent to average. 

55 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I mean finishing top 4 is one thing. But when you're routing that as a big win, you do need to include that. 

If A&M kills UNC, I expect everyone to point out that UNCs best players didn't play. Similar to when Texas beat UGA without 10 players.

You know that how it will be. Unc has the excuses ready.

1 hour ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Agree only reason why the Irish were picked is because they have a national following. Teams like okie st Tcu Baylor, Boise of the past literally have to go undefeated. Group 5 teams do that and still have no shot. The playoffs need to be expanded. I don’t understand why not because more money will be made.

19 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Because its extremely clear on this board who knows how schemes and Xs and Os work and who doesn't. It literally makes no sense why some of you cant understand that having the threat of Waddle AND Smith is greater than having Waddle OR Smith. Just because smith stepped up and is still producing doesn't mean that alabama can't be a more diverse and dangerous team with BOTH on the field...

19 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Always been that way in the college football forum.  Remember how dumb we were for not calling JFF the best college football player of all-time? 

and to keep it relevant, I think Mike Evans made him great.  Losing that safety net made him great, not the greatest.

Joe Burrow made everyone around him better at LSU.  I think Burrow could have won a NC at A&M with any of A&M’s coaches minus Sumlin.  

Evans was A&M’s Burrow.  Bama has 8-10 Burrows 

I NEVER said I think Johnny is the college player of all time. I do think his heisman year was one if the best single seasons statistically of all time, but I don't for a second think he's even top 3 qbs of all time let alone players. You're just making stuff up with statements like that.