The Smoakhouse Forums

18 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Because its extremely clear on this board who knows how schemes and Xs and Os work and who doesn't. It literally makes no sense why some of you cant understand that having the threat of Waddle AND Smith is greater than having Waddle OR Smith. Just because smith stepped up and is still producing doesn't mean that alabama can't be a more diverse and dangerous team with BOTH on the field...

Those are letters from the Alphabet. 

9568018C-F800-4D60-ABBE-FA50FAE0423C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The usual...

I find both fanbases equally annoying, and seldom find myself rooting for either team.   That said: I would LOVE to watch a Texas/Texas A&M game every Thanksgiving. 

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I NEVER said I think Johnny is the college player of all time. I do think his heisman year was one if the best single seasons statistically of all time, but I don't for a second think he's even top 3 qbs of all time let alone players. You're just making stuff up with statements like that. 

Yeeahhh there seem to be a lot of straw men being beaten down here. I think Mavgrads issues are with what people on Twitter say. In which case, I wish he'd take it up with those people on Twitter, not come post it here... to people who didn't say the things that bother him. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Because its extremely clear on this board who knows how schemes and Xs and Os work and who doesn't. It literally makes no sense why some of you cant understand that having the threat of Waddle AND Smith is greater than having Waddle OR Smith. Just because smith stepped up and is still producing doesn't mean that alabama can't be a more diverse and dangerous team with BOTH on the field...

Every year Alabama loses Waddles and Smiths. Every year they are replaced. Next in line please.

Evidently the Pipp and Boobie Miles reference went over your head.

6 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Every year Alabama loses Waddles and Smiths. Every year they are replaced. Next in line please.

You still don't get it. For starters theres usually only 1 HB on the field at a time. Alabama typically has 3 WRs on the field ar the same time. That reference is not the same comparison. But even if it did make sense Why does it have to be boobie or the backup when you could have both? 

I really don't understand why you can't grasp this... Do you not understand that waddle and Smith used to BOTH be on the field at the same time? If this was as simple as one replacing the other then your argument might be valid, but that's not the case. They were BOTH playing. They were BOTH demanding attention leaving Meachie in favorable matchups. If you think Meachie slipping into Waddles spot with another person taking that #3 spot is just as good as the original starters, then I don't have anything else to say. 

56 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Boobies Miles wasn't all that great of a player lol. Neither was Wally Pipp. Citing 2 players from 32 and 95 years ago doesn't really make your point either. 

Yes, Alabama replaced him with a strong player. But there's no way to tell if the player they replaced him with is as good, nor if they'd have the same effect Waddle had on that day vs A&M. We know Waddle was a huge part of beating A&M. We don't know if his replacement would have that same effect. 

Regardless, you can relax. We didn't make the playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Boobies Miles wasn't all that great of a player lol. Neither was Wally Pipp. Citing 2 players from 32 and 95 years ago doesn't really make your point either. 

Yes, Alabama replaced him with a strong player. But there's no way to tell if the player they replaced him with is as good, nor if they'd have the same effect Waddle had on that day vs A&M. We know Waddle was a huge part of beating A&M. We don't know if his replacement would have that same effect. 

Regardless, you can relax. We didn't make the playoffs. 

Really?  Miles was recruited by everyone including your precious Aggies.  And, what does the era have to do with it being relevant or not?  One player being replaced by another player happens every freaking year since "sports" began.  You and WETSU can be so insufferable.

1 hour ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

100%

7 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Really?  Miles was recruited by everyone including your precious Aggies.  And, what does the era have to do with it being relevant or not?  One player being replaced by another player happens every freaking year since "sports" began.  You and WETSU can be so insufferable.

He got letters from some schools. He didn't get any offers. He ran for like 1300 yards in a 15-game season..... Literally in a Wing-T offense. If he was that good, a torn meniscus wouldn't have turned him into a JUCO reject. 

Yes... A player being replaced by another happens all the time.  The scenario you're talking about is the replacement being better than the original player. And you were able to cite 2 examples in 100 years of sports.... One a completely different sport. 😂😂😂

You can whine that we're insufferable. You're in an A&M thread trying to convince us that in a hypothetical rematch against a team we lost to (and won't play again) that them missing a star player wouldn't make a difference. 

We can agree to disagree about Waddle. That's fine- the game isn't happening so we'll never know. 

Let's talk about the Orange Bowl we're actually about to play in? Or recruiting which is going on? 

My gosh how you nitpick EXAMPLES! I used, what I thought were fairly universally known instances, where one player was replaced by another.

Miles received letters from these schools his junior year.  This was in an era where players were not typically recruited in junior high!  Furthermore, the 1300 yards were from his junior year.  What type of offenses do you think that teams were running in the late '80's?  And it was more than a meniscus tear it was a torn ACL.

Secondly, why does the sport matter when using an example?

Lastly, I could care less who the Aggies do or do not play.  What irks me is the attitude that is taken with the Aggie supporters on here.  It just reinforces the Aggie stereotype.

44 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

My gosh how you nitpick EXAMPLES! I used, what I thought were fairly universally known instances, where one player was replaced by another.

Miles received letters from these schools his junior year.  This was in an era where players were not typically recruited in junior high!  Furthermore, the 1300 yards were from his junior year.  What type of offenses do you think that teams were running in the late '80's?  And it was more than a meniscus tear it was a torn ACL.

Lastly, I could care less who the Aggies do or do not play.  What irks me is the attitude that is taken with the Aggie supporters on here.  It just reinforces the Aggie stereotype.

Sorry. Next time you troll our thread, we'll do better. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

He got letters from some schools. He didn't get any offers. He ran for like 1300 yards in a 15-game season..... Literally in a Wing-T offense. If he was that good, a torn meniscus wouldn't have turned him into a JUCO reject. 

Yes... A player being replaced by another happens all the time.  The scenario you're talking about is the replacement being better than the original player. And you were able to cite 2 examples in 100 years of sports.... One a completely different sport. 😂😂😂

You can whine that we're insufferable. You're in an A&M thread trying to convince us that in a hypothetical rematch against a team we lost to (and won't play again) that them missing a star player wouldn't make a difference. 

We can agree to disagree about Waddle. That's fine- the game isn't happening so we'll never know. 

Let's talk about the Orange Bowl we're actually about to play in? Or recruiting which is going on? 

Wait Friday night lights wasn’t accurate he can kick the extra point if need be.

2 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Opposed to the self entitlement of horn fans . They invented that type of thought process.

18 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Opposed to the self entitlement of horn fans . They invented that type of thought process.

I will say this, as my opinion, of the "entitlement" of UT fans.  UT is the state school.  It is globally recognized.  It recruits itself for the athletes that it does get.  Just think of the top-rated recruitment classes that it has had with the sub-par coaching and records post-Mack Brown.  Texas has won multiple National Championships and have been on the verge for a few more.  Many of what I deem some of the more vocal people are those that came of age during Mack's big run at UT and they think that is the norm and that it should be back like that again.  Given the facilities, history, financial support, etc. I hold out that the right coach will be eventually hired and Texas will be at the top again.

I believe that part of Strong's hiring was a result of A&M hiring Sumlin.  Herman was a "hot" commodity and there was hope that he was a diamond in the rough. So far 2 sub-par coaching hires after a great coach.

I have lived through the good and bad times of Texas as a fan, student and an alum.  Call it entitlement or whatever, Texas has tasted the highest level of success so I understand people talking about it and wanting it again.  For me, when I hear or read the level of coulda, woulda, gonna from those in CS and their superior knowledge of football second to none, that rubs me the wrong way and I will say so.  Go ahead and call me entitled.  At least I have witnessed success on the field, et al, and the best that A&M can offer since 1939 is the FedEx Years that nearly landed them on probation.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I will say this, as my opinion, of the "entitlement" of UT fans.  UT is the state school.  It is globally recognized.  It recruits itself for the athletes that it does get.  Just think of the top-rated recruitment classes that it has had with the sub-par coaching and records post-Mack Brown.  Texas has won multiple National Championships and have been on the verge for a few more.  Many of what I deem some of the more vocal people are those that came of age during Mack's big run at UT and they think that is the norm and that it should be back like that again.  Given the facilities, history, financial support, etc. I hold out that the right coach will be eventually hired and Texas will be at the top again.

I believe that part of Strong's hiring was a result of A&M hiring Sumlin.  Herman was a "hot" commodity and there was hope that he was a diamond in the rough. So far 2 sub-par coaching hires after a great coach.

I have lived through the good and bad times of Texas as a fan, student and an alum.  Call it entitlement or whatever, Texas has tasted the highest level of success so I understand people talking about it and wanting it again.  For me, when I hear or read the level of coulda, woulda, gonna from those in CS and their superior knowledge of football second to none, that rubs me the wrong way and I will say so.  Go ahead and call me entitled.  At least I have witnessed success on the field, et al, and the best that A&M can offer since 1939 is the FedEx Years that nearly landed them on probation.

One championship win two appearances since the Johnson administration and you still think your Alabama.

13 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

He's an absolute beast... as a sophomore. Gonna be a damn good one, wherever he goes.

7 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Also just saw he got an offer to Miami. I suspect he'll have a lot of offers by the time he graduates.

Saw he’s the first freshman to play on varsity under King?

13 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Texas will eventually find the “right” coach. BAMA went through Ray Perkins and Bill Curry after Bear Bryant before they hired Gene Stallings, and some wanted to run him off after an 0-3 start. After Stallings retired, we went through Mike Dubose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Shula and another guy who was fired before he ever coached a game before hiring Saban. Coaching hires are quirky. Success in one place doesn’t always translate into success somewhere else. 

20 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

One championship win two appearances since the Johnson administration and you still think your Alabama.

Ok. I guess. If that is what you interpret that to be. I question your reading comprehension. But Texas will never be Alabama on the field or off the field.  The academics at Texas are more stringent.  Did you go to Bama?

21 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Texas will eventually find the “right” coach. BAMA went through Ray Perkins and Bill Curry after Bear Bryant before they hired Gene Stallings, and some wanted to run him off after an 0-3 start. After Stallings retired, we went through Mike Dubose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Shula and another guy who was fired before he ever coached a game before hiring Saban. Coaching hires are quirky. Success in one place doesn’t always translate into success somewhere else. 

Lol Fran wasn't bad at Bama. He was bad at A&M tho!