🔴 Sooners 2020 thread

Mr. P

13 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Demarco Murray will the be the new RB coach at Oklahoma.

i like it.  I know you can't teach natural ability.  But that dude was a tough runner and a solid durable RB for the Cowboys.  If any of that rubs off on the OU RBs, you could be seeing some more AP's coming out of there soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

i like it.  I know you can't teach natural ability.  But that dude was a tough runner and a solid durable RB for the Cowboys.  If any of that rubs off on the OU RBs, you could be seeing some more AP's coming out of there soon.

To me the RB coach position is all about if a guy can recruit or not. 

We will see if Murray can sign the top recruits that Oklahoma was missing under Boulware.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 8:36 AM, Valhalla said:

To me the RB coach position is all about if a guy can recruit or not. 

We will see if Murray can sign the top recruits that Oklahoma was missing under Boulware.

Well, Boulware managed to get a commitment from Jase McClellan, the 5 star RB, but couldn't keep him from flipping to Bama.  Time will tell whether DM can recruit on that level or keep them until they're signed.  I like the hire, am hopeful that he does as well as RB coach as Cale did for all of those years...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Valhalla, @BlackwellSooner, y'all help me out with this Chandler Morris kid...  you too @MrBuddyGarrity (because I know you were studying him when he was gonna go to Arkansas).

I watched a little bit of film on him, including in the State game, and I gotta say, I'm not really high on him yet...  he seems like a smaller (but much slower) version of Kyler, or a smaller version of Baker, but without the chutzpah and moxie. His deep passes float, and his footwork is frenetic. Oh he's certainly a playmaker, but I'm wondering about that 5-11 175lb frame of his.

I mean, I get that he needed to land someone after losing the Vandergrift kid, but this seems like a "making the best of the situation" signing rather than a home run. 

Of course, I would love to be proved wrong. 

17 hours ago, AKA said:

Hey @Valhalla, @BlackwellSooner, y'all help me out with this Chandler Morris kid...  you too @MrBuddyGarrity (because I know you were studying him when he was gonna go to Arkansas).

I watched a little bit of film on him, including in the State game, and I gotta say, I'm not really high on him yet...  he seems like a smaller (but much slower) version of Kyler, or a smaller version of Baker, but without the chutzpah and moxie. His deep passes float, and his footwork is frenetic. Oh he's certainly a playmaker, but I'm wondering about that 5-11 175lb frame of his.

I mean, I get that he needed to land someone after losing the Vandergrift kid, but this seems like a "making the best of the situation" signing rather than a home run. 

Of course, I would love to be proved wrong. 

I think Riley is higher on him than the recruiting services were at the end. Oklahoma only offered three 2020 quarterbacks. The unquestionable two top QBs in the class DJ Uiagalelei who ended up at Clemson and Bryce Young who ended up at Alabama (This kid's dad basically said Young would have been a Sooner if not for Spencer Rattler). Morris also received an offer way before he ever committed to Arkansas in the first place. I am pretty confident that Riley was prepared to not even take a 2020 QB until Morris suddenly became available again late in the process.

Honestly, I think settling for Arkansas also ended up hurting Morris' final ranking too. We all know how the recruiting services work. Plus I don't think many other schools really put much into pursuing Morris because they knew he would end up with his dad.

Vandergrift is a 2021 QB. He has already committed to Georgia which is unfortunate, but at least he was honest about wanting to stay closer to home (plus having a pretty good chance open up to win that job as a true freshmen which probably would not have been the case at Oklahoma). 

When Vandergrift committed Oklahoma told the other top QB of the 2021 class, Caleb Williams (who said Oklahoma was his dream school), that they were full basically. As of today Caleb Williams is now the #1 QB in the 2021 and he was trending hard to LSU, but Joe Brady leaving killed that I believe. Williams has begun trending back to Oklahoma, and I believe he has a visit coming up in the near future to Oklahoma.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I think Riley is higher on him than the recruiting services were at the end...

Really really appreciate the context. As you can probably tell, I don't follow recruiting very closely. Or, like, at all. I try not to think about a player until he's on the roster.     ;) 

But concerning Riley...  what do you think he sees in this kid? I guess I'm more concerned with Riley than I am with Morris, but I have to admit that it piques my curiosity for Riley to seem to go all-in on a guy who seems (to me) very underwhelming. 

2 hours ago, AKA said:

Really really appreciate the context. As you can probably tell, I don't follow recruiting very closely. Or, like, at all. I try not to think about a player until he's on the roster.     ;) 

But concerning Riley...  what do you think he sees in this kid? I guess I'm more concerned with Riley than I am with Morris, but I have to admit that it piques my curiosity for Riley to seem to go all-in on a guy who seems (to me) very underwhelming. 

Worst case scenario I think Morris is a kid who would not be upset to sit behind Rattler for 2-3 years to provide competent bodies in the QB room and not run to the transfer portal.

Best case scenario I think Morris is accurate and develops to level to compete for the starting position after Rattler.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Worst case scenario I think Morris is a kid who would not be upset to sit behind Rattler for 2-3 years to provide competent bodies in the QB room and not run to the transfer portal.

Best case scenario I think Morris is accurate and develops to level to compete for the starting position after Rattler.

That'll work, appreciate it.  👍

• 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

RB Trey Sermon has announced he will transfer. 

Good luck.

I think he wanted more carries than he was ever going to get at Oklahoma this season. 

He was pretty much phased out of the offense before he even tore his acl last year.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Lol

unless Dak is going to play TE he is safe.

I had to look it up to make sure it was the same guy. I was shocked that he’s only late 20s. I thought for sure he’d be 32,33.

• Mr. P locked this topic