Maxpreps Top Ten Teams of past Decade

Eagleborn

Head coach: Bruce Rollinson
Record: 15-0
Biggest win: Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas), 35-21
Most impressive stat: Never trailed at any point during the season with notable wins over St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.) (twice), De La Salle (Concord, Calif.), Bergen Catholic (Oradell, N.J.), Long Beach Poly (Long Beach, Calif.) and Mission Viejo (Calif.). 
Key players: JT Daniels, QB; Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR; Bru McCoy, ATH; Tommy Brown, OL; Elias Ricks, CB; Solomon Tuliaupupu, LB; Mase Funa, LB

Head coach: Kenny Sanchez
Record: 15-0
Biggest win: St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.), 25-24 (3OT)
Most impressive stat: Average margin of victory was 44.3 points per game with notable wins over Cedar Hill (Texas), St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.), Cocoa (Fla.), Kahuku (Hawaii) and Liberty (Henderson, Nev.).

Head coach: Tim Harris
Record: 14-0
Biggest win: Miami Central (Fla.), 28-17
Most impressive stat: Won every game by double-digits with notable wins over Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas), Norcross (Ga.), Cocoa (Fla.) and Bolles (Jacksonville, Fla.). 
Key players: Treon Harris, QB; Mark Walton, RB; Chad Thomas, DE

Head coach: Greg Toal
Record: 11-0
Biggest win: Manatee (Bradenton, Fla.), 22-16
Most impressive stat: Went wire-to-wire as the No. 1 team with notable wins over Mission Viejo (Calif.), St. Edward (Lakewood, Ohio), Bergen Catholic (Oradell, N.J.) (twice) and St. Joseph Regional (Montvale, N.J.)
Key players: Jabrill Peppers, ATH; Leonte Carroo, WR; Darius Hamilton, DE; Yuri Wright, CB

5. Allen (Texas), 2013
Head coach: Tom Westerberg
Record: 16-0
Biggest win: DeSoto (Texas), 42-35
Most impressive stat: Averaged over 50 points per game with notable wins over Cedar Hill (Texas), Southlake Carroll (Texas), Coppell (Texas), Hebron (Carrollton, Texas), Westfield (Houston) and Pearland (Texas)
Key players: Kyler Murray, QB; Greg Little, OT; Tay Evans, LB; Jalen Guyton, WR; Bobby Evans, OT; Christian Sam, LB

Head coach: Kevin Wright
Record: 11-0
Biggest win: Grayson (Loganville, Ga.), 26-7
Most impressive stat: Shutout five opponents and won all but one game by double-digits. Notable wins over Centennial (Corona, Calif.), St. John's (Washington, D.C.), Booker T. Washington (Tulsa, Okla.), Trinity Christian Academy (Jacksonville, Fla.), Long Beach Poly (Long Beach, Calif.), Catholic (Virginia Beach, Va.) and St. Frances Academy (Baltimore).
Key players: Grant Delpit, S; Dylan Moses, LB; Kellen Mond, QB; Taron Vincent, DT; Cesar Ruiz, OC; Trey Sanders, RB; Isaiah Pryor, S; Jhamon Ausbon, WR; Evan Neal, OT

Head coach: Jason Negro
Biggest win: De La Salle (Concord, Calif.), 20-14
Most impressive stat: Snapped De La Salle's 40-game winning streak to win the school's first CIF state title with notable wins over Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.) (twice), Chandler (Ariz.) and Centennial (Corona, Calif.).
Key players: Josh Rosen, QB; Sean McGrew, RB; Damien Mama, OT; Shay Fields, WR; Jaleel Wadood, ATH

8. Katy (Texas), 2015
Head coach: Gary Joseph
Biggest win: Lake Travis (Austin, Texas), 34-7
Most impressive stat: Posted 10 shutouts and outscored the opposition 778-62. Notable wins over Cibolo Steele (Texas), Manvel (Texas) and The Woodlands (Texas)
Key players: JoVanni Stewart, DB; Kyle Porter, RB; Deondrick Glass, RB; Collin Wilder, S

Head coach: Jon Kay
Biggest win: Duncanville (Texas), 41-36
Most impressive stat: Won 15 of 16 games by double digits with notable wins over Katy (Texas) (twice), Lake Travis (Austin, Texas), Cy-Fair (Texas), Westfield (Houston), West Brook (Beaumont, Texas) and Dickinson (Texas)

Head coach: Jason Negro
Record: 13-1
Biggest win: Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.), 39-34
Most impressive stat: Had one of the toughest schedules and avenged only loss against Mater Dei in CIF Southern Section Division 1 championship. Notable wins over Good Counsel (Olney, Md.), De La Salle (Concord, Calif.), Centennial (Corona, Calif.), DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.), Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, N.J.), Liberty (Henderson, Nev.), Mililani (Hawaii), Servite (Anaheim, Calif.), JSerra Catholic (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) and Calabasas (Calif.)

2 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Katy only allowing 62 points in 16 games with 10 shutouts is almost as impressive as the 83 Tigers. Given the rule changes and how wide open offenses are now. Much larger classification as well. 

Except for one stat that is just so unreal. 
560 offensive plays in 16 games run against the Daingerfield defense for a grand total of 560 feet not yards but feet. 
Daingerfield 83 will always be the best high school defense of all time. 

8 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

No doubt about that at all. ‘83 Tigers will always be on top. I was just saying Katy stats were impressive for the kind of football played today. 

I agree with You, that Katy defense with 10 shutouts in today’s football at the highest level is a record that may stand for ever. 

11 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

I don’t know if they kept the stat of tackles for loss back then or not but it’d be interesting to know. Giving up an average of 12 inches per play is crazy. You know there had to be a hand full of 2-4 yard gains over 16 games. There had to be a crazy amount of tackles for loss to get the average down to a foot. 

I wish someone had film on all 16 games. 
Make a CD and sale it. 
I would definitely buy it. 
you are 100 percent right. There had to be huge loss of yards in each game. 
I did read where one of the playoff teams had two backs with just over 1000 yards. 
when the game was over, both backs were under the 1000 yard mark. 

• Thumbs Down 1

11 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

I don’t know if they kept the stat of tackles for loss back then or not but it’d be interesting to know. Giving up an average of 12 inches per play is crazy. You know there had to be a hand full of 2-4 yard gains over 16 games. There had to be a crazy amount of tackles for loss to get the average down to a foot. 

Would be interesting to see how they’d match up against a modern team with equal or more talent. 

19 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Makes we wonder about the Waco Tigers defense of the early '20s. '21 or '22 they averaged a 63-0 score for the season. To me that's the greatest Texas high school football team. Those early '20s Waco teams put 100 pts on the scoreboard more than a couple times. Pretty sure they were running the ball, so the defense must've been keeping the offense on the field. I read quite a few of those TDs were defensive too.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 2:02 AM, 88YoePride said:

Makes we wonder about the Waco Tigers defense of the early '20s. '21 or '22 they averaged a 63-0 score for the season. To me that's the greatest Texas high school football team. Those early '20s Waco teams put 100 pts on the scoreboard more than a couple times. Pretty sure they were running the ball, so the defense must've been keeping the offense on the field. I read quite a few of those TDs were defensive too.

In 1921, the Tigers scored 526 points and rivals failed to score a single point. In fact, only one team managed to cross the midfield stripe against their defense.

22 minutes ago, JasperDawg said:

In 1921, the Tigers scored 526 points and rivals failed to score a single point. In fact, only one team managed to cross the midfield stripe against their defense.

The '22 team score 567 points in nine games and gave up 0.

Yeah, guys say, "Huh-huh. Yeah, but that was the 1920s." You play who you play in the era you're in. It's not like those '20s Tigers had a bunch of 250+ lb or sub-4.6 40 yd dash players. And after a couple of years of them dominating opponents and opposing teams and coaches scouting them, those opponents were doing the best they could against them. 

If we want to go waaay back, Gilmer's 1941 team scored 369 points in 12 games (as far as they could go in those days) with 11 shutouts, and only gave up 6 points.  Those 6 points were scored against a makeshift bunch of bench players switching positions, in the final minutes of a blowout game early in the season.😯