Gilmer AD/Head Football Coach

dillonpanthers

On 1/11/2020 at 3:53 PM, JBizzle said:

A premiere ETX coaching job and you guys have it narrowed down to 2 candidates who are right here local. Why would they limit it to that kind of search? They are gonna get candidates from all over! Why y’all looking for a Gilmer man. Far as I know Surratt had barely ever been to Carthage when he was hired there.

Have a full blown coaching search.

Amen to this.  Maybe there's another Scott Surratt type coach out there...

8 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

Amen to this.  Maybe there's another Scott Surratt type coach out there...

Preston the DC has been with Surratt since his tenure. He may wanna a promotion . The rivalry would great. I am kinda of suprised Carthage doesn't have a lot of turnover considering the success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

1 minute ago, Champ1000 said:

Preston the DC has been with Surratt since his tenure. He may wanna a promotion . The rivalry would great. I am kinda of suprised Carthage doesn't have a lot of turnover considering the success.

I would love to have a defensive minded coach as head coach.  Our defense has been terrible to mediocre, and rarely "good" under the current leadership.  I think he could always hire a good OC.  Preston would be an excellent hire, in my opinion.  

36 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Preston has been a life long friend of Surratt, but he has not been in Carthage for 13 years with Surratt...…………….As for a turnover, Carthage pays all teachers well, Science and Math teachers really well, and assistant coaches don't have as many duties away from football as they would at most schools...…………..An assistant coach at Carthage could go to a 2A school as an OC or DC for about the same money, but have to coach in the winter and spring, where at Carthage they normally just coach one or the other.

1 minute ago, cotton84 said:

Preston has been a life long friend of Surratt, but he has not been in Carthage for 13 years with Surratt...…………….As for a turnover, Carthage pays all teachers well, Science and Math teachers really well, and assistant coaches don't have as many duties away from football as they would at most schools...…………..An assistant coach at Carthage could go to a 2A school as an OC or DC for about the same money, but have to coach in the winter and spring, where at Carthage they normally just coach one or the other.

I know but getting assistants promotions shows a lot about the leadership of the programs. I thought Preston was there since 07 when Surratt came in. I understand they're close and he likes winning. It is ususally difficult to keep assistants when you have that type of success.

From strictly a football coaching standpoint, Gilmer is as attractive an opening as is out there, I'd think. Plenty of talent. A fanbase that is really hungry to get back to the way things used to be. And room for innovation, growth, etc. Now, I don't know anything about administration, pay, housing, etc. All those are big factors, though. If I were a Gilmer fan, I wouldn't turn my back on an internal hire, but I'd probably be looking for something from the outside to come in and innovate and be creative and inject some new energy. That might the spark you need, because the talent is still a tinderbox, in my opinion. The Buckeyes still have the pieces.

• Thanks 1

Metzel, Lane and Nally are all good names. 

Personally, I believe they should open it up. Will have 1000 applicants and probably 50 good ones. Any coach from Carthage (with an endorsement from Surratt) should get a shot...

We all know how this works though...They knew this was coming. Wouldn't surprise me if they already have their guy in mind or if it is someone on staff.

1 hour ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

Metzel, Lane and 

We all know how this works though...They knew this was coming. Wouldn't surprise me if they already have their guy in mind or if it is someone on staff.

Agree.  They may open this job up, but there is a short list already on who they would like. 

Coach Lane isn't leaving Pine Tree...in my ever so humble opinion.

He's in the midst of building something there as some real football talent is finally blooming in Old Greggton (West Longview).

I'd be mildly surprised if he did (as he seems to be a man of his word) BUT then again who could blame him IF he's the one picked ?

That is all !

R.J.

1 hour ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Briles not going anywhere he turned down the Tyler lee job I assume since he’s up there in age he just wants to enjoy the little time he has left to do so 

You can't turn down something you haven't been offered. 

10 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

I don't disagree with this at all.  We could "possibly" have a coach on staff that could get us back to where we were, but I doubt it.  This job needs to be TRULY OPEN so that we can see who applies, a PROVEN head coach who wants to rebuild our program.  I don't care if it takes a couple of years.  That's better than our program dropping off annually.

Rebuild? Coach Turner was what.... 57-13 or something like that? 3 deep what? 3 times? Semi one year? No disrespect, I know you love the Bux, but..... I get your proven HC remark but.... rebuild our program? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

I know but getting assistants promotions shows a lot about the leadership of the programs. I thought Preston was there since 07 when Surratt came in. I understand they're close and he likes winning. It is ususally difficult to keep assistants when you have that type of success.

Garrett Morgan was DC until 2011? then he took the HC job at jasper and then resigned the position after one season.  He was another great DC.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Rebuild? Coach Turner was what.... 57-13 or something like that? 3 deep what? 3 times? Semi one year? No disrespect, I know you love the Bux, but..... I get your proven HC remark but.... rebuild our program? 

I agree with this! Our program hasn’t dropped off. We had a way better record and faced many of our tough opponents better this year than the past two years. Even with our worst record two years ago we went deep in playoffs. I understand wanting someone with some fire, but if you spend just a few moments on Twitter and see all the love former players have for Turner you can see that we need more guys like him. He continued to put out some talent. We are still in a really good spot. Just because we didn’t win state and continue the 5 year tradition doesn’t mean we are at a downfall. Let’s be real and understand we are doing things right and Gilmer is still a premier job. Whoever gets the position is going to be lucky, and will work their butt off to make sure they don’t get run out of town.  

• Like 3
  • Stinks 1

1 hour ago, poisoned10 said:

I think the biggest and main difference was the lack of discipline over the last few years. In my opinion, that was Gilmer's biggest problem . . . Outside of Pleasant Grove, of course.I think the biggest and main difference was the lack of discipline over the last few years. In my opinion, that was Gilmer's biggest problem . . . Outside of Pleasant Grove, of course.

How many Times u gonna say it lol 

6 hours ago, Matt said:

I agree with you Matt. A few Gilmer fans are flat out crazy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Mr. P locked this topic