Gilmer AD/Head Football Coach

dillonpanthers

13 hours ago, Matt said:

Rebuild? Coach Turner was what.... 57-13 or something like that? 3 deep what? 3 times? Semi one year? No disrespect, I know you love the Bux, but..... I get your proven HC remark but.... rebuild our program? 

Yes, rebuild.  Once Turner is gone, you're basically having to start over from the top down.  He was the mastermind of our offense for many years, one of the most prolific in the state.  Once he handed those reins over, we haven't been the same.  That's absolutely not a knock on Turner.  He was an excellent coach, and an even better man.  Anybody who knows him can tell you that.  We've had a big turnover in our staff over the past five seasons, and that is one of the reasons we have had some dropoff, especially with discipline.  Yes, you can hire from within, but I'm not sure that is the best thing to do.  We need fresh blood in our program, in my opinion, and yes, a proven winner would be optimal.  Any Buckeye fan close to the program can see what has happened, and if they're honest with themselves they can see it's probably time to make some serious changes.  We still have some excellent coaches on staff, no doubt, but I'm not sure the board would allow them to bring in any new coaches they want to suit what they are trying to do with our program.  It would be "stop gap" status quo again, in my opinion.  We need a charismatic, organized, and strong leader who is allowed to make changes where he deems necessary, and who will hold coaches and players accountable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blackflag79 said:

Yes, rebuild.  Once Turner is gone, you're basically having to start over from the top down.  He was the mastermind of our offense for many years, one of the most prolific in the state.  Once he handed those reins over, we haven't been the same.  That's absolutely not a knock on Turner.  He was an excellent coach, and an even better man.  Anybody who knows him can tell you that.  We've had a big turnover in our staff over the past five seasons, and that is one of the reasons we have had some dropoff, especially with discipline.  Yes, you can hire from within, but I'm not sure that is the best thing to do.  We need fresh blood in our program, in my opinion, and yes, a proven winner would be optimal.  Any Buckeye fan close to the program can see what has happened, and if they're honest with themselves they can see it's probably time to make some serious changes.  We still have some excellent coaches on staff, no doubt, but I'm not sure the board would allow them to bring in any new coaches they want to suit what they are trying to do with our program.  It would be "stop gap" status quo again, in my opinion.  We need a charismatic, organized, and strong leader who is allowed to make changes where he deems necessary, and who will hold coaches and players accountable.

Well if some of these soft parents stop complaining about coaches being to hard on their kids then u would have some coaches being hard on the kids but hey it’s a new generation and a lot of the kids has quit to be in FFA so 

2 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Well if some of these soft parents stop complaining about coaches being to hard on their kids then u would have some coaches being hard on the kids but hey it’s a new generation and a lot of the kids has quit to be in FFA so 

Strong leadership wouldn't play parent politics.  That's what is needed.  That's one big reason Jeff was as successful as he was.

On 1/11/2020 at 2:47 PM, d0tc0m said:

I wouldn’t sleep on Nick York. He was a Class of 2004 Buckeye grad if I remember correctly. Spent some time as Celina’s WRs coach and passing game coordinator, including having a HUGE part in one of our most dynamic/prolific offenses we’ve ever had in the 2015 state finals team. QBs coach for PP right now. He’s a young, talented offensive-minded guy. You’d need someone to come in and get the defense up, but I can assure you, under York, the Buckeyes would score points in spades.

You know I would listen to York, only BECAUSE he's young and might be looking to prove something...and I like Alan Metzel, always have he's a nice guy...BUT I would be looking to get outside the Traylor circle at this point, since it's not Jeff coming back or Kurt. We've just experienced a nice, preacher-like coach in the Traylor circle, same as Alan. You know, I see those guys (personalities) as great assistants because the moment when bad things happen or that you need to step on a throat they think about that the "mean thing" characteristic would be thought bad of by their church friends/followers. I want someone whose a Christian and not afraid to tell young men that this is how you live as a dad/husband and good community citizen, but that wants to prove something in every game...and that Gilmer is something special...something to be feared, that creates doubt in opponents, etc. That is not what we've been since Jeff left. We've had the talent and we've been winning, but not winning where we want to and need to win. 

Jeff had a mean streak outside his Sunday school classroom...that means for 6 1/2 days a week he would show his teeth to other teams & communities (he always wanted to prove something). He was much like me...everyday you coached, if something bad (a loss) happened, it would reflect poorly upon me and you don't ever want to be embarrassed and feel you failed or having people in your community walk around thinking "Coach Pelvis Presley" stinks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Matt said:

Rebuild? Coach Turner was what.... 57-13 or something like that? 3 deep what? 3 times? Semi one year? No disrespect, I know you love the Bux, but..... I get your proven HC remark but.... rebuild our program? 

and Matt, yes 57-13 is very good...BUT the 13 losses were against the important programs. This is a day and time where 4 teams make the playoffs in every district. 2 divisions of each classification...again a watering down and cheat-code type day & time. you need to be making deep, deep runs every year if not winning it. Gilmer with Jeff would have been "Carthaging" 4A (yep, even talking about housing this new breed of PG). the same kids and talent has been there, they just aren't getting ground down & shined to same quality of stone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2020 at 2:34 PM, DawgNation2015 said:

Not same one.  Hadden is the young player that I was referring to.  Forgot about Stewart.  He got hurt early in the season this year.  Broken foot/lower leg.

Ok, thanks

Stewart is a player!  Will probably make an impact next year.

10 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Definitely not but u know they wouldn’t do that regardless 

I’m wondering if the family would have moved districts if they knew Turner was leaving?  And with this change will they move back to SH?  If new coach comes into Gilmer with a heavy run offense it will minimize his stock at the next level unless he focuses on defense only.  In SH he would be THE GUY and would get max opportunities.

3 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I’m wondering if the family would have moved districts if they knew Turner was leaving?  And with this change will they move back to SH?  If new coach comes into Gilmer with a heavy run offense it will minimize his stock at the next level unless he focuses on defense only.  In SH he would be THE GUY and would get max opportunities.

He went to Gilmer in the 7th grade and I seriously doubt we would hire a coach that would be run heavy because we don’t have the kids to do that. 

5 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

He went to Gilmer in the 7th grade and I seriously doubt we would hire a coach that would be run heavy because we don’t have the kids to do that. 

Gotcha.  But you Bux fans don’t agree on what is needed and what the Board will do, so there is always a possibility.  PG has done pretty good with that run heavy offense haven’t they?  From a parental perspective it would be a concern of mine not knowing who the coach is making that move.

12 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Gotcha.  But you Bux fans don’t agree on what is needed and what the Board will do, so there is always a possibility.  PG has done pretty good with that run heavy offense haven’t they?  From a parental perspective it would be a concern of mine not knowing who the coach is making that move.

They probably assume Gilmer will be Gilmer. 

55 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

That’s PG they have always ran that offense and maybe they didn’t move for sporting reasons like people always assume but hey when it’s Gilmer that’s the only reason why kids would move there 

On 1/13/2020 at 3:39 PM, RandyJohnson said:

Coach Lane isn't leaving Pine Tree...in my ever so humble opinion.

He's in the midst of building something there as some real football talent is finally blooming in Old Greggton (West Longview).

I'd be mildly surprised if he did (as he seems to be a man of his word) BUT then again who could blame him IF he's the one picked ?

That is all !

R.J.

If he is offered. He will be in Buckeye land again. 

• Thumbs Down 1

6 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Damn I mention Coach Abron and get two 2 negative votes? What’s wrong? Y’all aren’t like Grand Saline are you? Someone mentioned York. He works under Abron now. He could be y’all’s OC. I hope he stays at Pewitt for awhile but as a friend I’d like to see him get some looks from prestigious programs. Like a Gilmer. 

York has no chance at all I think u would have a better chance and Abron is a good up and coming coach 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

That he is. He’s done a lot here. Our talent pool isn’t that deep. I can just imagine what he’d do at a program with a steady stream of top notch talent like a Gilmer. He will get his big break soon. Great man all around. 

Will Abron be able to take the current OC with him? That will be a huge part of his success if he leaves PP. 

• Mr. P locked this topic