The Smoakhouse Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dillonpanthers

Gilmer AD/Head Football Coach

9 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Oh ok, so how is he going to be playing varsity basketball next week?

He prolly not going to be but will go in front of the DEC and to the uil if have too 

4 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

He prolly not going to be but will go in front of the DEC and to the uil if have too 

That's what I was thinking.  Only way he plays is if he's been cleared

One of the best COACHING STAFFS in the entire state, and people want to move on from it.  You have no idea how hard those men work.  Not saying the next staff wont work hard, nor be successful, but trust me when I tell you not every staff works like they do.  They have done a wonderful job with what they have, those kids work extremely hard for them.  Amazing that going 4 rounds deep, getting beat by the eventual state champion, is no longer "good enough".  Wonder how long it would take for those great coaches to get employed elsewhere?  And by the way, you guys that have been there since Day 1 of the Traylor era.....we no longer need you because you dont know offense, defense (seems they had a few shutouts this year), special teams, or building men of character.  Grass isn't always greener, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Without screaming recruiting.. What has been missing since Mr Jeff left, has been the ability to have the influx of (extreme high octane athletes from other classifications). Mr Traylor had that ability and it's part of what got him into the college scene, not calling anything out and not disrespecting in any way, coach had everybody wanting to be a part of what he created.. Js 

16 minutes ago, coach3198 said:

One of the best COACHING STAFFS in the entire state, and people want to move on from it.  You have no idea how hard those men work.  Not saying the next staff wont work hard, nor be successful, but trust me when I tell you not every staff works like they do.  They have done a wonderful job with what they have, those kids work extremely hard for them.  Amazing that going 4 rounds deep, getting beat by the eventual state champion, is no longer "good enough".  Wonder how long it would take for those great coaches to get employed elsewhere?  And by the way, you guys that have been there since Day 1 of the Traylor era.....we no longer need you because you dont know offense, defense (seems they had a few shutouts this year), special teams, or building men of character.  Grass isn't always greener, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  

Amen!

12 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

Without screaming recruiting.. What has been missing since Mr Jeff left, has been the ability to have the influx of (extreme high octane athletes from other classifications). Mr Traylor had that ability and it's part of what got him into the college scene, not calling anything out and not disrespecting in any way, coach had everybody wanting to be a part of what he created.. Js 

a mean streak...no give up...ask referees who they would have rather dealt with on the sidelines (Jeff's hat throwing and exploding or Matt Turner's oh okay, all good)...that little difference carries throughout a program.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dillonpanthers said:

Hate to hear that. SH had a good showing this year. Didnt yall have 2 good receivers or was it just the one?

We had a few, but after graduation this year and Rockwell moving, just 2 return with any experience. He has younger brothers as well, so I’m assuming they all moved?

19 minutes ago, SHillBuckeye said:

We had a few, but after graduation this year and Rockwell moving, just 2 return with any experience. He has younger brothers as well, so I’m assuming they all moved?

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, you would think they would but never know I guess. 

55 minutes ago, SHillBuckeye said:

They all did move 

35 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

They all did move 

OK, thanks. That means we lost our starting RB as well. He's not that big, but he played bigger than he was, pretty good on defense as well @ linebacker.

2 minutes ago, SHillBuckeye said:

OK, thanks. That means we lost our starting RB as well. He's not that big, but he played bigger than he was, pretty good on defense as well @ linebacker.

I don’t think his little brother played runningback that was the other freshman 

4 hours ago, coach3198 said:

are you coming back JH

5 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

I don’t think his little brother played runningback that was the other freshman 

I’m sorry, you are correct. That is a cousin, not brother. 

3 hours ago, sumitstock said:

are you coming back JH

Please?!?!

Bring your turf field with you! 😉

Agree the easiest hire and he probably deserves it is Metzel.  Great man and knows football.

1 hour ago, HasBeen81 said:

Agree the easiest hire and he probably deserves it is Metzel.  Great man and knows football.

Sometimes the easiest hire isn't necessarily the best hire. Hope they at least bring in some outside candidates with no true Gilmer ties. See what is out there.

4 minutes ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

Sometimes the easiest hire isn't necessarily the best hire. Hope they at least bring in some outside candidates with no true Gilmer ties. See what is out there.

Naw we want to keep what we have no need for these kids to learn anything different when it’s not broke it’s just a lot of ungrateful folks and outsiders that don’t know anything 

25 minutes ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

Why? Unless it’s Surrat of course!  

21 hours ago, coach3198 said:

I give this an AMEN also.  And we do need somebody like Joey Hector back in the program. 

• Like 1

If outside hire try and open the pocket book and go get someone that WILL change things.  If you get an outside hire they WILL change things and the people of Gilmer would have to accept that the Traylor circle and era is officially over.  Now the question is can Gilmer actually accept that?

Outside hire -

1. Surratt - Not happening unless you pay him A LOT of money (aint gonna happen)

2. Nally - established HC and has been associated with the Gilmer way

3. Any Coordinator @ PG - Gilmer would have to accept the wing-t and its philosophies.  

4. I still like Metzel.  Leave it alone and let him be the guy!!

2 hours ago, Maineman1988 said:

Why? Unless it’s Surrat of course!  

It just seems that the Gilmer faithful are never happy. You can keep it in the "Traylor Circle" all you want, but no one can replace Jeff Traylor. He was obviously an all time great coach, but if you are going to compare every coach to him, then you are going to be disappointed in my opinion. 

If Gilmer fans are not happy with how things have gone since Traylor left, then maybe they should look outside of the inner circle. No moron is going to come in and completely overhaul how things are run. However, a fresh perspective might make a big difference. That's all I'm saying.

I think Gilmer will do the right thing for the kids and the community.

1 hour ago, HasBeen81 said:

If outside hire try and open the pocket book and go get someone that WILL change things.  If you get an outside hire they WILL change things and the people of Gilmer would have to accept that the Traylor circle and era is officially over.  Now the question is can Gilmer actually accept that?

Outside hire -

1. Surratt - Not happening unless you pay him A LOT of money (aint gonna happen)

2. Nally - established HC and has been associated with the Gilmer way

3. Any Coordinator @ PG - Gilmer would have to accept the wing-t and its philosophies.  

4. I still like Metzel.  Leave it alone and let him be the guy!!

No way number 3 could happen 

10 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

No way number 3 could happen 

Justin Gibson would make a great head coach, just like his brother

7 hours ago, 68Hornet said:

Justin Gibson would make a great head coach, just like his brother

I’m not saying he’s not a good coach but we don’t wanna see the wing T in gilmer no way