Rn'R Hall of Shame

88YoePride

Are you freakin' kidding me?! Whitney Houston and Notorious B.I.G. get into the Rock & Roll HoF?!

The nominees included PAT BENATAR, JUDAS PRIEST, AND SOUNDGARDEN. BUT WHITNEY HOUSTON AND B.I.G. GOT IN. 

That's it. I won't rest until Anthrax are in the Rap HoF. 

I can't really express my true feelings on this because of language restrictions. Just imagine Samuel L. Jackson in a Quentin Tarantino movie. 

18 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

Are you freakin' kidding me?! Whitney Houston and Notorious B.I.G. get into the Rock & Roll HoF?!

The nominees included PAT BENATAR, JUDAS PRIEST, AND SOUNDGARDEN. BUT WHITNEY HOUSTON AND B.I.G. GOT IN. 

That's it. I won't rest until Anthrax are in the Rap HoF. 

I can't really express my true feelings on this because of language restrictions. Just imagine Samuel L. Jackson in a Quentin Tarantino movie. 

I understand Whitney being inducted even though I didn't care for her music, but how does she make it in before Dionne Warwick or even Rufus and Chaka Khan, Chaka deserves to be there, and adding Rufus would be cool ?  I see many complaining about the lack of diversity with the RRHOF https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8543758/rock-roll-hall-fame-gender-racial-diversity-guest-opinion-evelyn-mcdonnell .  The thing is many of the greats are there.  The only one's I can think of is the above as well as The Commodores and Kool & The Gang.  

I am glad that T. Rex will be inducted. My favorite Glam Band hasn't even been nominated, and Quiet Riots  two biggest hits were covers of their songs.  Slade has inspired many American bands that are in the RRHOF, although they weren't big in the States.  I suppose the RRHOF snubbery thinks that Noddy, SuperYob, and the boys will :  

9 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I understand Whitney being inducted even though I didn't care for her music, but how does she make it in before Dionne Warwick or even Rufus and Chaka Khan, Chaka deserves to be there, and adding Rufus would be cool ?  I see many complaining about the lack of diversity with the RRHOF https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8543758/rock-roll-hall-fame-gender-racial-diversity-guest-opinion-evelyn-mcdonnell .  The thing is many of the greats are there.  The only one's I can think of is the above as well as The Commodores and Kool & The Gang.  

I am glad that T. Rex will be inducted. My favorite Glam Band hasn't even been nominated, and Quiet Riots  two biggest hits were covers of their songs.  Slade has inspired many American bands that are in the RRHOF, although they weren't big in the States.  I suppose the RRHOF snubbery thinks that Noddy, SuperYob, and the boys will :  

A: I don't get how Whitney, B.I.G., or Chaka Khan, etc, are rock & roll. I can understand back in the '50s/'60s the Platters, the Four Tops, Jackie Wilson, or in the '70s maybe bands with some funk. But other than that? Not rock n' roll. Otherwise, Hall+Oates and Rick Astley and Paul Young better darn well get into the R&B HoF. 

B.J. Thomas

A true American institution whose iconic pop, country and gospel hits defined their respective generations and now transcend them, B.J. Thomas has found a unique way to celebrate an incredible half a century in music and some 47 years since his first gold selling hit on Scepter Records. The singer, a five time Grammy and two time Dove Award winner who has sold more than 70 million records and is ranked in Billboard’s Top 50 most played artists over the past 50 years. 

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

B.J. Thomas

A true American institution whose iconic pop, country and gospel hits defined their respective generations and now transcend them, B.J. Thomas has found a unique way to celebrate an incredible half a century in music and some 47 years since his first gold selling hit on Scepter Records. The singer, a five time Grammy and two time Dove Award winner who has sold more than 70 million records and is ranked in Billboard’s Top 50 most played artists over the past 50 years. 

B.J. was more Country than Rock and Roll, he did cover several songs back in the day from Rock and Roll singers, but, he wasn't Rock and Roll.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

Unfortunately they are not.  This should be taken :  

The first time I heard Sweet was on a late-'80s syndicated radio show called Metal Shop. Every week they would have some headbanger musician name their top five classic tracks and they would play their #1. I don't remember who it was, but one Saturday night Sweet was that week's #1. "Action"! I promptly went out and found a copy of "Desolation Boulevard" on Vinyl!

3 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

B.J. was more Country than Rock and Roll, he did cover several songs back in the day from Rock and Roll singers, but, he wasn't Rock and Roll.  

He was more rock and roll than a lot of people that are in the RRHOF ...

20 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

He was more rock and roll than a lot of people that are in the RRHOF ...

I will agree with his early years, but they were covers of Rock and Roll songs.  I've met B.J. and I've talked to him, he's a great crooner, and while he did influence Blue Swede they were a one hit wonder.  After B.J.'s motorcycle crash in Houston, he mellowed and went country.  

.  Even Blue Swede's version is more rock and roll than B.J.'s.  B.J. deserves to be in the C&WHOF, but not RRHOF.   

10 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I will agree with his early years, but they were covers of Rock and Roll songs.  I've met B.J. and I've talked to him, he's a great crooner, and while he did influence Blue Swede they were a one hit wonder.  After B.J.'s motorcycle crash in Houston, he mellowed and went country.  

.  Even Blue Swede's version is more rock and roll than B.J.'s.  B.J. deserves to be in the C&WHOF, but not RRHOF.   

I disagree ... his many early hits qualify him to be inducted ... he had more rr hits than many who are already in ....

12 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I disagree ... his many early hits qualify him to be inducted ... he had more rr hits than many who are already in ....

He had three songs that I would consider Rock and Roll.  "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" #8, "Billy and Sue" #34, and "Hooked on a Feeling" #5.  All of the rest are C&W songs to my ear.  He also didn't influence any rock and roll musicians as Hank and Johnny had done.  That's why they are in.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

He had three songs that I would consider Rock and Roll.  "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" #8, "Billy and Sue" #34, and "Hooked on a Feeling" #5.  All of the rest are C&W songs to my ear.  He also didn't influence any rock and roll musicians as Hank and Johnny had done.  That's why they are in.  

I'm so lonesome I could cry is as country as it gets ... He had several RR hits ... Eyes of a NY Woman, Rock and Roll Lullaby, I Just Can't Help Believing, Mighty Clouds of Joy ... and others ...

There are all sorts of people that shouldn't  be in the RRHOF by your standards ... 

2 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I'm so lonesome I could cry is as country as it gets ... He had several RR hits ... Eyes of a NY Woman, Rock and Roll Lullaby, I Just Can't Help Believing, Mighty Clouds of Joy ... and others ...

There are all sorts of people that shouldn't  be in the RRHOF by your standards ... 

C&W Hall of Fame yes, but he was never a Rock and Roll HOF'er.  He has a great voice, and he is talented, but it's the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  Then again, I'm not for rappers being inducted either, because that's not Rock.  I remember when the Beastie Boys came onto the scene, and they weren't Rock.  I would take Twisted Sister in the RRHOF over them, but the freakin' Beastie Boys are in ?  That's schlock that has led music to the state it's in.  I realize there are different genre's of the music world, and maybe I just want to keep it pure Rock and Roll.  I know this is an R&B tune that hit #1, but it's Rock and Roll to me :  

Should they be in the RRHOF, I don't think so, but I wouldn't put them in the R&B HOF for one song.  It's similar to Lou Christie, and he had more chart hitting hits than B.J..  I realize that this is the soundtrack of the 50's and 60;s, but c'mon.   

BJ Thomas is as deserving of being inducted into the RRHOF as anyone ... he was far more POP and RR than country ... a lot of ballad singers have been inducted ... we will just have to disagree on this one ... it's ridiculous that he wasn't added years ago .... same with Johnny Rivers  ...

11 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

BJ Thomas is as deserving of being inducted into the RRHOF as anyone ... he was far more POP and RR than country ... a lot of ballad singers have been inducted ... we will just have to disagree on this one ... it's ridiculous that he wasn't added years ago .... same with Johnny Rivers  ...

I'll agree somewhat on Johnny Rivers, but much of his career in the 50's and 60's were covers of others.  For that alone Elvis shouldn't be in the conniving thief.  Sad thing is we don't know who many of the songwriters were because he through Col. Tom Parker bought them off.