President Trump encourages students who want to pray, threatens schools that try to stop them

RETIREDFAN1

I don't know if most know that we have a moment of silence required every single day of school, or that religious groups meet on campuses regularly, or that religious leaders aren't banned from coming onto campuses, or that there are courses called Old Testament or New Testament offered in many public schools in Texas, but then they couldn't be as impressed when an amoral or immoral panderer like Trump 'restores Christmas' or talks about prayer, I guess. And, we all know that he didn't use the word 'cognizant' in speaking about it purposely, but I am proud of him for reading it aloud. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

I don't know if most know that we have a moment of silence required every single day of school, or that religious groups meet on campuses regularly, or that religious leaders aren't banned from coming onto campuses, or that there are courses called Old Testament or New Testament offered in many public schools in Texas, but then they couldn't be as impressed when an amoral or immoral panderer like Trump 'restores Christmas' or talks about prayer, I guess. And, we all know that he didn't use the word 'cognizant' in speaking about it purposely, but I am proud of him for reading it aloud. 

No man is perfect, but at least he wants to allow it rather than not allowing for it to happen.  Instead of destroying it completely as the Communists desire to do except for their Muslime friends all for the sake of "learning their culture".  We have the freedom of religion, and that should be predicated upon each person to worship who, what, or how they may, and it should not be infringed by any school nor mandated by any school.  If a class is offered for any religion it should be an elective, and not mandatory.  

1 minute ago, ctown81 said:

What schools are hindering religious freedom? 

You haven't seen the stories where teachers have been told not to wear their cross necklaces?

But I think it's more about the Freedom From Religion foundation, who doesn't understand the 1st Amendment.

I am a believer, but let me point out what is going on with the Methodists, as their national organization is splitting over LBGQT rights. Within religious groups, you can have disparate beliefs. 
But, yeah, the current push of certain 'conservatives' is to embrace and promote fear and hyperbole about the supposed oppression of religion in America, when the truth is that they are threatened by the ever evolving demographic that is our country. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

I am a believer, but let me point out what is going on with the Methodists, as their national organization is splitting over LBGQT rights. Within religious groups, you can have disparate beliefs. 
But, yeah, the current push of certain 'conservatives' is to embrace and promote fear and hyperbole about the supposed oppression of religion in America, when the truth is that they are threatened by the ever evolving demographic that is our country. 

So tell me, Barry. How does it injure students if a teacher wears a cross necklace? How does it injure students if a local church sponsors a high school football team?

Has Congress passed any laws "respecting an establishment of religion"?

39 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Where are those places that these things occur? Not in Texas, I would hazard, and extremely rare and certainly not indicative of the vast majority of America. 

Candy Canes have been forbidden in some schools. Not because they're sugary and bad for you. But because they're shaped like a J...for Jesus...

At Christmas, the town where I live puts up a plywood cutout Nativity. Does that harm anyone? As far as I know they haven't passed a law that says everyone in town has to be Christian. Nor have they passed a law saying everyone has to be a specific denomination. And last time I checked, neither has the Federal Government.

That's why the "Freedom From Religion Foundation" is wrong in their assertions.