Dez Bryant back to the Cowboys

48 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

He wasn't that great. Not really a deep threat. Good #2 option at best jmo.

During a 3 year stretch ('12-'14)...

'12:

#10 in Receptions

#6 in Yards

#3 in TD's

'13:

#8 in Receptions

#13 in Yards

#3 in TD's

'14:

#12 in Receptions

#8 in Yards

#1 in TD's

3 Year Total:

#4 in Yards

#1 in TD's

The guy was arguably one of the Top 5 WR's in the league, during that time, and unarguably one of the Top 10.

Again, I'm not sure what your definition of 'great' is, but whatever it is, you should think about redefining it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Slot receivers that go over the middle tend to be the smaller, quicker type receivers like Edelman or Welker ... Bryant has never been that type even in his prime.  Bryant, to me, was more of a middle range possession type of receiver that excelled based on his ability to go get and fight for the ball.  He really didn't have the speed to outrun many people and ran terrible routes.  He depended on his size and physical ability.  Even if he could still play, he's just too much of a distraction to waste a slot on in my opinion ...

He has the body type that could take a hit.  Bryant would go over the middle, but was used mainly on sideline and fade routes when he was with Dallas.  With Cooper and Gallup providing those routes, I think it would leave him open more in the deep middle, with possibly leaving a tight end in the short middle and Zeke as a dump off option.  I see it working better than Austin.  At his age, and with the Achilles injury he's not going to have the speed other than that.  That's why I saw bring him in for a look.  He does have a height advantage, but I would also like to see if he still has his leaping ability.  I'm not saying sign him up, just give him a look.  

58 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

He has the body type that could take a hit.  Bryant would go over the middle, but was used mainly on sideline and fade routes when he was with Dallas.  With Cooper and Gallup providing those routes, I think it would leave him open more in the deep middle, with possibly leaving a tight end in the short middle and Zeke as a dump off option.  I see it working better than Austin.  At his age, and with the Achilles injury he's not going to have the speed other than that.  That's why I saw bring him in for a look.  He does have a height advantage, but I would also like to see if he still has his leaping ability.  I'm not saying sign him up, just give him a look.  

Agree the risk is very low . 

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

He can take a hit, but is he fast/quick enough to get open?  I can see linebackers and safeties really lighting him up over the middle ... I guess if there was a way to control his sideline antics and outburst he might be worth a minimum salary, but I think the can find a better receiver with a lot less baggage and potential for disruptions ....

9 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Agree the risk is very low . 

Even if he does make the team, he can always be cut.  He's desperate for a job, and I think he'll go all in.  He'll never be a top tier receiver again due to his age, but he could contribute.  Make the contract team friendly, and if he can't contribute cut him.  I'd offer him a small roster bonus, but nothing big.  Maybe $100,000, and maybe other small bonuses for performance if and only if he makes the team.  He has the desire to play as does Amari for only the Cowboys, and the Home Town contracts can be beneficial to the cap.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

He can take a hit, but is he fast/quick enough to get open?  I can see linebackers and safeties really lighting him up over the middle ... I guess if there was a way to control his sideline antics and outburst he might be worth a minimum salary, but I think the can find a better receiver with a lot less baggage and potential for disruptions ....

I always laugh when ppl say this about him, there were times where he was mic'd up and ppl couldn't hear his words until after the fact and ppl thought he was going nuts on the sideline but he wasn't, you had to hear what he was actually saying, his words was very similar to Tom Brady trying to motivate his guys after a bad series but see when Tom did it ppl said oh look at the passion and fire, then when Dez does the same thing it's a problem. Very strange.....☕

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

I always laugh when ppl say this about him, there were times where he was mic'd up and ppl couldn't hear his words until after the fact and ppl thought he was going nuts on the sideline but he wasn't, you had to hear what he was actually saying, his words was very similar to Tom Brady trying to motivate his guys after a bad series but see when Tom did it ppl said oh look at the passion and fire, then when Dez does the same thing it's a problem. Very strange.....☕

Troy used to do the same thing.  He would berate players to try and motivate them.  I saw the same thing with Dez.  We need that fire and intensity back.  Sean  Lee would do it in the pre-game, but the younger players didn't hear him.  Now, he's too old to play in the league.  The same with Jason Witten, he had the fire, but even he couldn't inspire players, because he was a Garrett guy as Dez said.  They wanted to trust the process, and what have we seen with it.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hear we go boys. Dez and Stephan texting each other.  I predict that Dez will be on the pre season roster in the fall.  I couldn't  help but notice on the Bleacher Report that Dez said " I'm ready and hungry ". Which I predicted, by the way. He sounds hungry, and ready to make a splash.

Could do worse!

https://insidethestar.com/former-cowboys-wr-dez-bryant-in-the-lab-at-the-star-in-frisco/