Kobe Bryant

MrBuddyGarrity

53 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Only his oldest daughter from whats confirmed. 

EDIT: my bad, not the oldest one, the 2nd one. 

Yeah you're right, Kobe Bryant and his 13 year old daughter, his daughter's teammate, parent and pilot were killed in the crash. Either way it's all tragic news.

I was never a Kobe or Lakers fan.  I will say he was a great basketball player.  I was thinking this today though.  Since the announcement of his death I have seen more articles on it, as well as Sports Radio talking about his passing than any other public figure in my lifetime.  I would somewhat compare his death to Thurman Munson who should be in the MLB HOF since he died at the pinnacle of his career in a plane crash or Dale Earnhardt who passed at the tail end of his career while racing at the Daytona 500 in 2001.  There have been notable deaths in my lifetime from Elvis Presley, John Belushi, John Lennon, Princess Diana, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger, Prince,  Robin Williams, and I could name many more.  I wasn't around when President John F. Kennedy or his brother Robert F. were assassinated, but it seems there have been more stories and talk of his passing than any other person.  It seems odd to me that he has been talked about more than any other in my lifetime.  Maybe it's social media or the media in general.  My condolences to those that idolized him.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

Don't forget Roberto Clemente.....

I mentioned him yesterday, and why I didn't mention him is beyond me.  Even he wasn't given the accolades that Kobe has though.  I was only 4 years old when he passed, and was more worried about the Cowboys and wrasslin'  back then, and not baseball or basketball.