**5-3A Division 1**

chevyman

Just now, Purpletigerfan said:

Some familiar and not so familiar faces in this district now.  What are our first opinions of standings now that we know the district alignment? 

I am not surprised at all by this district except for Potts and Howe. Had seen predictions of this exact district but it didn’t include them. I think Potts has to be the favorite with what they’re returning. Mineola should be solid. Commerce is always super athletic. Rains wasn’t bad at all last year. Lots of solid teams is my first impression. Should be very competitive 

Guest Tiger03lb

This is an very interesting district. Potts, Winny, MV. 

Don't know how Minny will be with Snead gone. Rains could be decent, Commerce is hard to say. They got some players but haven't gotten it together, imo. 

3 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

Don't know how Minny will be with Snead gone. Rains could be decent, Commerce is hard to say. They got some players but haven't gotten it together, imo. 

I thought Sneed was a junior. 

Guest Tiger03lb
Just now, Nick2011 said:

Minny has a RB that will be hard to stop for the next 3 years. He rushed for 1000 yards as a freshmen last year. 

Yes you are correct. But if you noticed when Snead came back from from his injury, they seemed to be a different team. 

Guest Tiger03lb
4 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

I thought Sneed was a junior. 

You are correct. But I still stand by what i said. They seems to be different when he's in

Guest Tiger03lb
46 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

Correcting myself. 

These 4 teams are my pick to make the playoffs. Minny, Winny, MV, Potts. In no order, any one of them could beat each other. 

I think this is going to be a very competitive district after digesting it more over night. Pottsboro will probably be the preseason favorite based on last season and also likely come in with a top 10 state rank. I believe the QB Plyler will be back? Shope was a Senior if I remember correctly. I think some of their receivers will graduate but Lyons will return I believe also. He was a stud. I think Mineola could be the darkhorse. I know Winny will be right there in the mix and I believe that we have the ability to be in the top 2-3 easily. Rains showed good signs last year. MV will be interesting to see how they come along with AB in year 2. Commerce is going to be Commerce as usual with the abundance of athletes they have, just will depend on if they put it together as was stated. I have no knowledge of Howe or Bonham other than they struggled last year. Looking forward to this year.

48 minutes ago, chevyman said:

Anybody know their preseason schedules yet? Obviously there will only be a few of the teams with a footprint on Smoaky but I think we will have some good discussion

Hughes Springs will be around after baseball season. 

1 hour ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

I’ll come over from time to time to try and keep y’all from getting bored. Lol

I figured y’all would. Not so sure our Grayson Co counterparts will be making their way into Smoaky world but you never know. 

9 minutes ago, mvtigerbacker said:

MV will bring back most all skilled positions from last year- including one of the brothers who was deemed ineligible last year. Should be a very competitive district 

I guess it seems likely that Briles will be returning for a 2nd season at this point.

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

I guess it seems likely that Briles will be returning for a 2nd season at this point.

That's the way I see it as of now. Honestly since football has been over, his name has been relatively off the radar. I figure he keeps a pretty low profile. With that said, I wouldn't be in the least bit shocked if something popped up between now and next season that might sway him away. As the days pass by and spring workouts start I think the better the Purple Tiger fans have to feel about him staying though I would argue that not all in Tiger Land will be thrilled to see him for another season. 

Mineola 2020 Varsity Football Schedule

Winona    1st  Scrimmage  Home  Aug. 14

Caddo Mills  2nd Scrimmage  Away  Aug. 21

Canton  Non Dist.  Home  Aug.28

Wills Point  Non Dist. Away  Sep. 4

West Rusk Non Dist.  Home  Sep. 11

BYE  Sep. 18

Dist. Games

Winnsboro Away  Sep. 25

Bonham  Home  Oct. 2

Mt. Vernon  Away  Oct. 9

Pottsboro Home  Oct. 16