On 5/10/2020 at 1:20 PM, ANTI said:

Yeah. Had a great career in ETX.

I think King has something up his sleeves for that vacancy (safeties) though. Getting Berry to come in as DC was huge.

And King comes through again.

Via Hayden, Huffstickler is replaced by Chad Hancock. Who coached at Klein but most recently was DC at Rusk.

https://www.news-journal.com/etvarsity/et-football-lobos-king-fills-coaching-staff-updates-on-offseason/article_58715e2a-9478-11ea-b3c8-c7c5ef930a38.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ANTI said:

”I’ve never had so many Zoom meeting in hiring some coaches in important areas and interviewing and hiring coaches in the pandemic has added a new twist to it all,” King said. “I feel extremely blessed to fill the positions we had and to get the support from our administration in moving forward with the hiring.

”It’s been a long time since I’ve had to replace four varsity spots. We’ve had so much continuity on our staff over the years which has been great. There were some big shoes to fill.”

Longtime defensive coordinator Casey Pearce accepted a head coach and athletic director position in his hometown Breckenridge earlier this spring. Randy Huffstickler and CJ Lottinger, who both have long resumes in the area, retired.

To fill those roles, King brought back two coaches — John Berry and Chad Hancock — that know the Lobo way and two more — Josh Rankin and Pat House — who know East Texas athletics.

Berry is back as the Lobo defensive coordinator after serving in the same capacity at Longview from 2000-10. He previously served as an assistant coach at Gladewater before becoming the head coach and athletic director for the Bears in 2014.

Hancock was previously with the Lobos from 2010-15 as a linebacker coach. After a year at Klein High School, Hancock joined his brother at Rusk as the defensive coordinator from 2016-19.

Rankin is a Little Cypress-Mauriceville alumni and played his college ball at Southern Arkansas, where he served as an assistant coach after graduation. Rankin has stints are Kingsville, Haltom and Texas High, including a strong track resume with a 2014 state championship and numerous district titles. Rankin was previously at Hallsville from 2017-19.

House is a Hooks native and played college football at Stephen F. Austin and had two seasons in arena football. His coaching resume includes Jacksonville, Texas High, Smackover, Arkansas and most recently, Hooks.

”The thing about these new hires is that two of them have been here before and they understand our culture what what makes Lobo football tick,” King said. “Coach Rankin and Coach House, they both come highly recommended and are proven winners. They know East Texas football and that’s big.

”I feel lucky and I feel like we have a great staff in place. We’ve got some guys that are going to bring in a ton of knowledge and work habits to our staff and kids and I think they will all blend well once we get this thing going again.”

Good stuff.

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Longview 2023 WR Jalen Hale (6'3 180) has 3rd offer from Auburn.

Are we still counting him as a freshmen at this point? lol Just unreal for a Lobo WIDE RECEIVER to be receiving offers like this...and he hasn't even started his sophomore year.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Are we still counting him as a freshmen at this point? lol Just unreal for a Lobo WIDE RECEIVER to be receiving offers like this...and he hasn't even started his sophomore year.

Crazy thing is we thought we wouldnt see another Kamden caliber WR for a while, but Hale comes along and we're talking about Bobby Taylor caliber of athlete. Nasty on the football field, may be even nastier on the track and basketball court.

The 2010s decade was best in Lobo history, I think the 2020s definitely has a chance to surpass it. We will see!

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

Crazy thing is we thought we wouldnt see another Kamden caliber WR for a while, but Hale comes along and we're talking about Bobby Taylor caliber of athlete. Nasty on the football field, may be even nastier on the track and basketball court.

The 2010s decade was best in Lobo history, I think the 2020s definitely has a chance to surpass it. We will see!

In my opinion Hale is already more "talented" than Kamden was, what remains to be seen is how he plays in game speed. Gotta say, I like what I've seen so far, albeit in a small sample of snaps. 

One of the things that made Kamden special was how ridiculously clutch he was in game situations. Dude was never the biggest or fastest athlete on the field, but if the ball was thrown anywhere near him, he made the play. Just a ridiculous ability for making subtle adjustments in his routes to get open, and pulling in the catch even when the pass wasn't necessarily well thrown. The kinds of intangible things that don't show up in measurables. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aledo said:

What needs to happen for this decade to be more successful than the last?

In terms of overall record for the decade, we went 109-25 with eight district titles and a state championship with only one season of less than 9 wins (and that was 8). So there's that to compare against.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aledo said:

What needs to happen for this decade to be more successful than the last?

It'll be hard for sure. 2010s started off with a semifinal run lol

So, 2020 has some big shoes to fill. But the expectation is there for a long playoff run with drop in class + what we have both coming back and filling holes.

Have to stay more healthy. I look at teams like 2012 that really had a chance at the big one had they stayed healthy.

2014-2016...look those teams won games, they werent awful in the general sense, many programs would kill to accomplish what those teams did but amongst Lobo fans, those teams had plenty of flaws. Rather it was lack of leadership in '14 or lack of defense in '16.

Longview has to play their game. Which is, the run opens up everything else. Especially when you have a dominate RB like Meredith. Failed to do that in '19 and it cost us. 

Have to limit the mental mistakes. 2013 comes to mind. That team was talented with multiple future NFLers. But mental mistakes sent em home way too early.

Have to avoid those super windy venues (which we've done a good job of the last few years). 2011 team rolled into Corsicana averaging a ton of points and passing yardage. Couldnt do jack against Dekaney that day.

Lastly, we just have to finish more often in the 2020s. In 2010 and 2017, we.were.right.there. But couldn't finish in the end. Thank goodness '18 finished...those last two weeks were too close for comfort.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Time to dust this thread off...HP picked up Westlake for Week 1. Location TBD but it'd be cool to have that double header at AT&T Week 1. So District Week 1 matchups are:

Thursday, September 24th

Texas High @ Tyler High

Friday, September 25th

Longview vs Temple (AT&T Stadium)

Highland Park vs Westlake

Sherman @ Denison

Waco @ West Mesquite

Wylie East @ Mt Pleasant

For the time being, Mckinney North is off Week 1 but am told they're working on getting an opponent. Will have scrimmage schedules up soon.

247 also released their early Texas rankings for the 2023 class.

9 players were ranked and awarded 4 stars. 2 of them reside in this district.

Wylie East DE Anthony James is ranked the #3 overall player in TX, #1 DE in TX and #8 DE nationally.

Longview WR Jalen Hale is ranked the #5 overall player in TX, #1 WR in TX and #7 WR nationally.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

• Like 1

Upcoming scrimmages:

Thursday, September 17th

Texas High @ Longview, 7 PM

Sherman @ Princeton, Time TBA

Wylie East @ Plano West, 7 PM

Euless Trinity @ Highland Park, 7 PM

Friday, September 18th

Tyler @ Pine Tree, 7 PM

McKinney North @ Frisco, 6:30 PM

• Like 1

It's been posted other places but the Ryan-Martin/Longview-Temple Wk 1 double header at AT&T will be nationally televised on FSSW.

Early top 2 5AD1 favorites getting air time vs some 6A studs.

On 8/22/2020 at 11:08 AM, ANTI said:

Time to dust this thread off...HP picked up Westlake for Week 1. Location TBD but it'd be cool to have that double header at AT&T Week 1.

This ended up being down the street at Globe Life Park, 9/26.

Some big time football teams in Arlington Wk 1.

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

Thursday, September 17th

Euless Trinity @ Highland Park, 7 PM

Man alive, Highland Park is going to be crazy tested before they come to Lobo.

Trinity as a scrimmage, Westlake, Horn, Coppell and Rockwall. Goodness gracious.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Trinity as a scrimmage, Westlake, Horn, Coppell and Rockwall. Goodness gracious.

First thing I noticed too.

Insane.

17 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

It looks like Tyler High schedule Everytime they dropped down to 5a or 4a.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cujoforlife said:

It looks like Tyler High schedule Everytime they dropped down to 5a or 4a.

FACTS!!! Coach Holmes got a solid schedule for Tyler high for the next two years. BTW, Tyler high could be possibly playing Hutto in 2022, but that's Twitter chatter from a month ago. 

34 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Tyler legacy schedule is pretty insane too imo lol. Lufkin, Tyler, at Longview and at ALLEN, talk about a death sentence lol. 

FACTS! I'm just glad Holmes had the wherewithal to get a young team like this a MANAGEABLE preseason schedule. District is going to be tough as is already. 

• Like 1