Tyler @ McKinney North,  7:30 PM

West Mesquite @ Longview, 7:30 PM

Wylie East @ Sherman,  7:30 PM

Highland Park - BYE

Going with...

Tyler at McKinney North

West Mesquite at Longview

Wylie East at Sherman

East having two weeks off is going to hurt them early on against Sherman I feel. Longview should absolutely roll. Tyler/North should be the closest game of the week. Tyler more than has the talent to beat an injured North squad. We'll see if they can put the pieces together though.

Highland Park having another bye week this week is ehhh. I would've tried to schedule something if I were them. Maybe they did though and just couldn't find anything.

11 hours ago, ANTI said:

How's the middle school scene looking in Tyler this year? Specifically 8th grade.

so far Boulter 7th and 8th have been head and shoulders better than the other 3 tyler schools. Beat all 3 pretty easy and they both beat Whitehouse too.  Boulter 8th grade has a very good qb-Crawford and rb-Drummer.  The RB was at Moore last yr.  The qb is good. Not sure if he will be a qb in high school but he and the rb will be on varsity probably as soph.   Moore isn't good at all this yr. Worst team in Tyler ISD at 7th and 8th grade. Hubbard 8th grade is much better this yr.  Not best group coming up for Legacy, but both Hubbard and Three Lakes have good numbers. 

Of course Cujo freshman team situation is up in air.  They had two special groups last yr and freshman team no longer exist. The top 10 freshman are on jv and varsity. But they should have had big numbers. They just moved practices to afternoon so maybe numbers will improve by next yr.  Something is going on in the program. I kinda know what it is, but It is what it is. 

How does a large 5A team not have a freshman team?   Most 5A Div II schools have TWO freshman teams.  

Tyler High is much larger than anyone in District 9-5A  except MP and Texas High.  Of course.... last season MP suspended their 9th grade team due to grades and low numbers. 

I don’t get it.  Then again.... our freshman team B team has only played one game (Vs Longview).  Maybe they will get some district action.  Might not be worth the scheduling nightmare  

But a school of 2000 should easily be fielding 4 teams IMHO. Freeman x2, JV, varsity. 

Esp a program with the pedigree of Tyler.

JMHO

58 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

so far Boulter 7th and 8th have been head and shoulders better than the other 3 tyler schools. Beat all 3 pretty easy and they both beat Whitehouse too.  Boulter 8th grade has a very good qb-Crawford and rb-Drummer.  The RB was at Moore last yr.  The qb is good. Not sure if he will be a qb in high school but he and the rb will be on varsity probably as soph.   Moore isn't good at all this yr. Worst team in Tyler ISD at 7th and 8th grade. Hubbard 8th grade is much better this yr.  Not best group coming up for Legacy, but both Hubbard and Three Lakes have good numbers. 

Of course Cujo freshman team situation is up in air.  They had two special groups last yr and freshman team no longer exist. The top 10 freshman are on jv and varsity. But they should have had big numbers. They just moved practices to afternoon so maybe numbers will improve by next yr.  Something is going on in the program. I kinda know what it is, but It is what it is. 

What is it that you know lol. 

31 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

How does a large 5A team not have a freshman team?   Most 5A Div II schools have TWO freshman teams.  

Tyler High is much larger than anyone in District 9-5A  except MP and Texas High.  Of course.... last season MP suspended their 9th grade team due to grades and low numbers. 

I don’t get it.  Then again.... our freshman team B team has only played one game (Vs Longview).  Maybe they will get some district action.  Might not be worth the scheduling nightmare  

But a school of 2000 should easily be fielding 4 teams IMHO. Freeman x2, JV, varsity. 

JMHO

When we played Legacy, they only had one freshman team. No B team.

4 minutes ago, ANTI said:

And their bigger than Tyler High.  I just don’t get it. 

I’m glad we were able to give that Lobo freshman B team some reps.  I know depth is always an issue 🙄🙄😂😂😂

22 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

JMHO

From a numbers standpoint, Cujo has never has had a ton of players even during the peak of the late 90s early 2000s.  But there was still enough for 2 freshman teams.  When Coach Holmes got there, the numbers were good. They had 2 freshman teams. A healthy amount on JV, and he carried about 50-55 players on varsity.  I don't know what happen. But I suspect the 5am practices had something to do with it.  There are a couple of other things I hear, but I will leave that off the board.

This yr, there was about 35-40 freshman in the program. But he put 5 on JV and 5 on varsity.  That left 25-30 for freshman.  JV has about 40. Ironically, Varsity has about 45-50 kids.  Not 100% sure what happen, but Freshman team is no more.

I worry if things don't change, it won't be many on freshman next yr either.  There is kinda this mentality in Tyler that if you not playing, why stay in the program and ride the bench.   Also, Coach Holmes puts doesn't mind putting freshman and soph on varsity, so alot of times the JV is full of juniors. In most programs, the varsity is usually JRs and SRs, so I'm sure that turns players away too. Kinda embarssing to be a jr on JV, at least it is in Tyler.

6 minutes ago, ANTI said:

yea, Im sure covid may have reduced numbers.  But they have over 60 players, so they could have 2 teams. If Tyler had 50 players, they would have 2 teams. 

12 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

And their bigger than Tyler High.  I just don’t get it. 

I’m glad we were able to give that Lobo B team some reps.  I know depth is always an issue 🙄🙄😂😂😂

the numbers at Legacy are good.  They could easily have 2 frsh and 2 JV teams. Probably easier with scheduling this yr with Covid to just have 1 team on each level.  

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

In Longview...

Another good group coming up in 8th.

Foster is the best this year at 3-0-1. Just beat Lufkin Purple 16-6. Big OL and good defensive players at Foster. Strong backfield too with RB Isaiah Horton and big FB Odum. But the best RB is definitely at Judson.

Judson is 2-2-1 this year...but dont let the record fool ya...they're good. They're two losses were to Foster and Lufkin Purple by a combine total of 4 points. And they played Foster a 2nd time....tieing with them 14-14. Longview is going to be very potent in the backfield in the future because they already have Taylor Tatum and Willie Nelson on the 9th grade level, both whom have FBS potential long term. Well right behind them is Judson RB Kelvin Washington...who is a LOAD. Already has close to 1,000 yards on the ground through 5 games. Good sized back with crazy potential long term. Judson also has QB Maverick Rowe who is damn good.

Forest Park hasnt played a lot this year on 8th level. I believe due to covid but they werent gonna be that good this year as usual. They still provide talent at spots every year though. Good 8th WR.

Of course, I've already talked about about how special our 9th group is. It honsetly might be the best 9th group King has had but we'll see how it materializes. When you pair that with our 10th grade studs like Jalen Hale and great pieces in 8th....future is very bright for Longview.

Foster the best in 7th as well at 3-1. Forest Park 2nd best and there's a big gap. Judson last. I dont think our 7th group is as strong as 8th, 9th and 10th but thats expected...you're not gonna get great groups every year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ANTI said:

In Longview...

Another good group coming up in 8th.

Foster is the best this year at 3-0-1. Just beat Lufkin Purple 16-6. Big OL and good defensive players at Foster. Strong backfield too with RB Isaiah Horton and big FB Odum. But the best RB is definitely at Judson.

Judson is 2-2-1 this year...but dont let the record fool ya...they're good. They're two losses were to Foster and Lufkin Purple by a combine total of 4 points. And they played Foster a 2nd time....tieing with them 14-14. Longview is going to be very potent in the backfield in the future because they already have Taylor Tatum and Willie Nelson on the 9th grade level, both whom have FBS potential long term. Well right behind them is Judson RB Kelvin Washington...who is a LOAD. Already has close to 1,000 yards on the ground through 5 games. Good sized back with crazy potential long term. Judson also has QB Maverick Rowe who is damn good.

Forest Park hasnt played a lot this year on 8th level. I believe due to covid but they werent gonna be that good this year as usual. They still provide talent at spots every year though. Good 8th WR.

Of course, I've already talked about about how special our 9th group is. It honsetly might be the best 9th group King has had but we'll see how it materializes. When you pair that with our 10th grade studs like Jalen Hale and great pieces in 8th....future is very bright for Longview.

Foster the best in 7th as well at 3-1. Forest Park 2nd best and there's a big gap. Judson last. I dont think our 7th group is as strong as 8th, 9th and 10th but thats expected...you're not gonna get great groups every year.

Boulter played Lufkin last yr. Lufkin has a good group of kids coming up. Good win for Foster. I hope things can come together at Tyler.  The Freshman kids are now on JV. Hopefully there will be a Freshman team next yr. 

Do you have the NFHS network? I think they show subvarsity games on it. 

10 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

yea, Im sure covid may have reduced numbers.  But they have over 60 players, so they could have 2 teams. If Tyler had 50 players, they would have 2 teams. 

A lot of kids failed out. They still could of filled 2 teams but went to one. They definitely had more kids than longview when they played them. So I'm not sure why they didn't have 2 teams. I posted awhile back that they would have 1 team for 3 weeks. Now they're back 2 teams.

27 minutes ago, VonG said:

A lot of kids failed out. They still could of filled 2 teams but went to one. They definitely had more kids than longview when they played them. So I'm not sure why they didn't have 2 teams. I posted awhile back that they would have 1 team for 3 weeks. Now they're back 2 teams.

Longview keeps 30 on A by design. Legacy did outnumber them...I'd say by about 15.

But there's another 60+ on our B team. 

1 hour ago, VonG said:

numbers have never been a problem for Lee/Legacy. 

2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

Do you have the NFHS network? I think they show subvarsity games on it. 

Yeah I have it. 

And you hope those 9th graders are seeing plenty of PT on varsity and JV. If not, very questionable decision by Holmes. Freshman QB probably not even getting reps period.

Interesting stuff. There cant be very many 5AD1 teams around the state without at least one 9th team.