13 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Funny when I made this...the Tyler schools hadnt changed names yet. Heck we werent even in a pandemic. 

Anyway, looks like my original prediction of this district is coming to fruition.

Only difference is...not sure Tyler beats Wylie East but I'll stick to my original prediction.

I'd probably give HP the edge over Longview but that really could go either way. Still sticking to my prediction.

I would agree with this at this point in the season with the exception of removing the word probably.  Right now, they are a better football team even only playing 2 games.  I have no doubt that Longview can beat them but it will take a solid offensive performance with 1 or no turnovers to do it.  I think they will score 30 if not 40 against us.  We will not win a shoot out and have to grind out a the win.  The one thing that HP will do that all other teams have tried to do is put 8-9 in the box and MAKE US throw.  I am not saying they will stop our running game but they will slow it down enough and exploit our secondary to have us chasing them the whole game.  I hope I am wrong but last night reinforced that we are still very young and not seasoned....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingwolf said:

I would agree with this at this point in the season with the exception of removing the word probably.  Right now, they are a better football team even only playing 2 games.  I have no doubt that Longview can beat them but it will take a solid offensive performance with 1 or no turnovers to do it.  I think they will score 30 if not 40 against us.  We will not win a shoot out and have to grind out a the win.  The one thing that HP will do that all other teams have tried to do is put 8-9 in the box and MAKE US throw.  I am not saying they will stop our running game but they will slow it down enough and exploit our secondary to have us chasing them the whole game.  I hope I am wrong but last night reinforced that we are still very young and not seasoned....

Yep. We are what we are. 

No doubt we can beat them, but right now, HP is the clear #1 in this district imo.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

Well my reasoning for giving HP the edge had little to do with last night.

I never really take SR night games seriously since its always been about giving non SR starters PT. But I hear ya.

I'm just not a fan of what we're doing at QB and I think Shannon Jackson or even Tyree Hale should return punts because what we have back there now is a muffed punt waiting to happen. I also dont have a problem with our entire secondary like many do....our safeties have played well all year but they get a bad rep just because of their size. Its the CB play thats a concern....but its not all their fault. Berry better leave that 10 yard cushion stuff in the locker room when HP comes to town.

But I know that we CAN beat them especially at home, which is why I used the word probably.

We still have a great running attack with Meredith/Haynes. OL is coming along. Front 7 has crushed it all year. XPs are better since we made the move from Onofre to Powell. As concerning as the secondary have been...they have also been very opportunistic. 7 INTs this year. That's almost multiple INTs a game. And I still havent seen a secondary that can keep up with Jalen Hale. So you hope that one or both QBs can get the ball to him 2 or 3 times.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 9:10 PM, ANTI said:

Next Week:

Friday, 10/30

Longview @ Wylie East,  7:30

McKinney North @ West Mesquite,  7:30

Sherman @ Highland Park,  7:30

Tyler - Bye

Going with...

Longview @ Wylie East

McKinney North @ West Mesquite

Sherman @ Highland Park

Tyler - Bye

20 hours ago, ANTI said:

Well my reasoning for giving HP the edge had little to do with last night.

I never really take SR night games seriously since its always been about giving non SR starters PT. But I hear ya.

I'm just not a fan of what we're doing at QB and I think Shannon Jackson or even Tyree Hale should return punts because what we have back there now is a muffed punt waiting to happen. I also dont have a problem with our entire secondary like many do....our safeties have played well all year but they get a bad rep just because of their size. Its the CB play thats a concern....but its not all their fault. Berry better leave that 10 yard cushion stuff in the locker room when HP comes to town.

But I know that we CAN beat them especially at home, which is why I used the word probably.

We still have a great running attack with Meredith/Haynes. OL is coming along. Front 7 has crushed it all year. XPs are better since we made the move from Onofre to Powell. As concerning as the secondary have been...they have also been very opportunistic. 7 INTs this year. That's almost multiple INTs a game. And I still havent seen a secondary that can keep up with Jalen Hale. So you hope that one or both QBs can get the ball to him 2 or 3 times.

I am glad to see your emphasis on SR night, that makes me feel a little better but we were still sloppy....King has got to get some consistency in passing this week...i sure hope it gets worked on.

On 10/23/2020 at 10:21 PM, LoboFan07 said:

Lobos should roll next week, Highland Park should roll next week. Setting up the big meeting in two weeks.

On 10/24/2020 at 12:51 PM, ANTI said:

I'd probably give HP the edge over Longview but that really could go either way. Still sticking to my prediction.

What's y'all's way-too-early breakdown of the LV/HP matchup?   ;) 

On 10/25/2020 at 11:21 AM, kingwolf said:

I am glad to see your emphasis on SR night, that makes me feel a little better but we were still sloppy....King has got to get some consistency in passing this week...i sure hope it gets worked on.

Concur...  I expect inexperienced sophomores to come out and make rookie blunders. Even the mighty mighty HK had plenty of "oops!" moments (that he was bailed out of) during his 10th-grade season. (Thank you Kamden!)

But at this point in the season (inexperience and COVID aside), inconsistency with the passing game is solely on the O.C. As the playcaller, you know what you're dealing with at the QB position. You know what both guys are capable of. The burden is 100 percent on you to put them in a position to be successful, and mitigate their shortcomings. 

Don't make them sit back there in the pocket. Their read+recognition muscles aren't developed enough yet. They need pass plays that are quick hitters. Safe swing and screen routes. Play Action rollout with multiple slants, and a safety-valve outta the backfield. Don't force the deep homerun ball, just let it happen. Force the secondary to creep up. 

Our QBs are both talented, with differing pros/cons, but I think at some point we've really got to pick one guy and roll with him the rest of the way. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 11:57 AM, LOL said:

What's y'all's way-too-early breakdown of the LV/HP matchup?   ;) 

Hate to look ahead...

But their QB play vs our CB play has been the biggest concern amongst the typical Lobo fan. I'll get to that in a sec but that actually isnt the matchup of this game IMO.

Highland Park has what I believe to be a top 2 offensive line in all of 5AD1. 

On the other side of the ball, their DL and LBs are equally as ruthless.

That's right....this game will be won in the trenches. 

Now, concerning our secondary.....this is not a game where Berry needs to be utilizing his famous 10 yard cushions. He can do that all he wants this week vs Wylie East but he needs to scrap that entire mentality next week.

Because HP has such a good OL, there's a possibility that we may not be able to get penetration as much as we want. Pair that with 10 yard cushions, HP would pick that apart with curls, hitchs, quick outs, slants and other short routes that could set up stop and gos. So, hopefully Berry takes an approach where we're bringing constant pressure and jamming those WRs at the line. 3-4 yard cushions tops.

Offensively...look we are what we are and we have to utilize our strengths. Its gonna have to be the MH/Meredith show. Our passing game will probably need to be more TE dependent off bootlegs and you'll just have to hope the QBs can get Hale the ball at least 3 times. He was visibly frustrated with Allen's throws the other night...especially the one where Hale was wide open on a post for TD but Allen severely under threw the pass.

Lastly, hopefully Shannon Jackson or Tyree Hale are our punt returner by then. What we have back there now is a muffed punt hazard. Last thing you wanna do is give HP free great field positions because we couldnt field a punt.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ANTI said:

Hate to look ahead...

But their QB play vs our CB play has been the biggest concern amongst the typical Lobo fan. I'll get to that in a sec but that actually isnt the matchup of this game IMO.

Highland Park has what I believe to be a top 2 offensive line in all of 5AD1. 

On the other side of the ball, their DL and LBs are equally as ruthless.

That's right....this game will be won in the trenches. 

Now, concerning our secondary.....this is not a game where Berry needs to be utilizing his famous 10 yard cushions. He can do that all he wants this week vs Wylie East but he needs to scrap that entire mentality next week.

Because HP has such a good OL, there's a possibility that we may not be able to get penetration as much as we want. Pair that with 10 yard cushions, HP would pick that apart with curls, hitchs, quick outs, slants and other short routes that could set up stop and gos. So, hopefully Berry takes an approach where we're bringing constant pressure and jamming those WRs at the line. 3-4 yard cushions tops.

Offensively...look we are what we are and we have to utilize our strengths. Its gonna have to be the MH/Meredith show. Our passing game will probably need to be more TE dependent off bootlegs and you'll just have to hope the QBs can get Hale the ball at least 3 times. He was visibly frustrated with Allen's throws the other night...especially the one where Hale was wide open on a post for TD but Allen severely under threw the pass.

Lastly, hopefully Shannon Jackson or Tyree Hale are our punt returner by then. What we have back there now is a muffed punt hazard. Last thing you wanna do is give HP free great field positions because we couldnt field a punt.

There is not any amount of speed, athleticism, or physical football that HP has not seen over the years so they won't be surprised by anything we throw at them.  However, I think that if we approach this game like we did Rockwall last year, it will make a huge impact...those receivers need to pay a heavy price every time they catch the ball so they are thinking about it the next time the ball is coming their way....I am not advocating hurting anyone but you got play Lobo ball on every snap...pound away....

• Like 2

My predictions this week...

Longview over Wylie East:  Last week Sherman had two runners go for over 100 yards on the ground against Wylie East. Longview's two headed monsters Kaden Meredith and Markevion Haynes are going to feast this week in a very favorable matchup against the worst run defense (well...defense period) in the district this year. Lobo defense forces some turnovers in a blowout victory for Longview. 

Highland Park over Sherman:  An even worse blowout. Sherman not strong enough in the trenches and HP doesnt lose at home. Schager goes crazy.

McKinney North over West Mesquite:  Most interesting game of the week, but give me Mckinney North by multiple possessions. JJ Henry will go crazy on that West Mesquite secondary.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ANTI said:

Love this.

Now if we can just get something to honor our '37 and '18 teams SOMEWHERE at the stadium, we'll be good to go. Even if it's as little as a flag with the year hanging from the flag pole, or the year on either side of that new Rockin L. Something needs to be up in honor of them.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Love this.

Now if we can just get something to honor our '37 and '18 teams SOMEWHERE at the stadium, we'll be good to go. Even if it's as little as a flag with the year hanging from the flag pole, or the year on either side of that new Rockin L. Something needs to be up in honor of them.

In the works...  it should've been done before the first home game, but COVID complicated matters. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LOL said:

In the works...  it should've been done before the first home game, but COVID complicated matters. 

Also if you look closely, the new welcome signs on the home side pay homage to the 2018 team but yeah...no doubt we need something that showcased both teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Also if you look closely, the new welcome signs on the home side pay homage to the 2018 team but yeah...no doubt we need something that showcased both teams.

Yes, I designed that. And I agree: we need to make a much bigger deal about the '37 and '18 teams.  👍

• Thanks 2

9th

Longview beat Wylie East,  46-0

McKinney North beat West Mesquite,  34-22

JV

Longview beat Wylie East,  63-0

McKinney North beat West Mesquite,  42-12

Highland Park also swept Sherman.

Subvarsity district standings:

9th

1.  Longview (2-0)

2.  Highland Park (1-0)

3.  McKinney North (1-0)

4.  Wylie East (1-1)

5.  Sherman (0-2)

6.  West Mesquite (0-2)

7.  Tyler (0-0)

JV

1.  Longview (2-0)

2. Highland Park (1-0)

3.  Tyler (1-0)

4.  McKinney North (1-1)

5.  Wylie East (1-1)

6.  Sherman (0-2)

7.  West Mesquite (0-2)

1 hour ago, VonG said:

You must be talking about  big schools because Carthage is definitely #1. Longview is #2.

I would say that Carthage has an argument for #1 in the State, not just East Texas.  Along with Aledo and a couple other programs. 

Longview is top in 5a/6a East Texas, and top 10 to 15 in state 5a/6a

38 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

I would say that Carthage has an argument for #1 in the State, not just East Texas.  Along with Aledo and a couple other programs. 

Longview is top in 5a/6a East Texas, and top 10 to 15 in state 5a/6a

They do. He said East Texas and I think he forgot about Carthage. 

2 minutes ago, Aledo said:

Nope. Out of all the schools out there. When you consider overall history LV is #1 for me. 

Of course they been playing longer than everybody except JT and Lufkin. When we talk about success, Carthage 8 rings speak louder than everybody.