District 11-2A (D1) Region 3 - 2020-2021

StingEmALTO

Longview, Malakoff top preseason #bEASTTexas Fabulous 15 polls; San Augustine voted No. 4; Alto No. 8
By Brandon Ogden [email protected] Jul 12, 2020

Longview and Malakoff both ended their 2018 season playing for a state title at AT&T Stadium in Arlington.

After earlier than expected playoff exits in 2019, the Lobos and Tigers enter 2020 hoping to return to championship weekend at the home of the Dallas Cowboys.

Longview tops the Class 6A/5A/4A portion of the #bEASTTexas Fabulous 15 preseason poll, while Malakoff leads the way in the Class 3A/2A/TAPPS poll. 

In the Class 3A/2A/TAPPS poll, there was plenty of diversity as 35 teams earned at least one vote and five different teams received a first-place vote.

Following Malakoff was Daingerfield with three first-place votes and 180 points.

Gladewater, which will be under the direction of alum Jonny Louvier after John Berry left to become the defensive coordinator at Longview, picked up five first-place votes and earned 172 points to start the season at No. 3 in the poll.

San Augustine (149 points) comes in at No. 4. Paul Pewitt, which played in the Class 3A Division II title game last season, rounds out the top five with 132 points and one first-place vote.

Atlanta finished last season outside of the top 15 but checks in at No. 6 in the 2020 preseason rankings.

Diboll received the final first-place vote and is No. 7 in the poll.

West Rusk, Waskom, Newton and Tenaha join Atlanta as teams to finish 2019 outside of the top 15 but land in the top 15 heading into the 2020 campaign.

Voters in the poll were Jack Stallard, Hayden Henry and George Whitley of the Longview News-Journal, Phil Hicks and Brandon Ogden of the Tyler Morning Telegraph, J. Scott Russell of the Panola Watchman, Nathan Hague of the Marshall News Messenger, John Krueger of the Nacogdoches Daily Sentinel, Josh Havard of the Lufkin Daily News, Mitch Lucas of the Kilgore News Herald, Juwan Lee of the Palestine Herald-Press, Jay Neal of the Jacksonville Progress, Reagan Roy of CBS 19 and Harlen the Sports Guy of the Friday Night Scoreboard Show.

https://tylerpaper.com/sports/longview-malakoff-top-preseason-beasttexas-fabulous-15-polls-jt-voted-no-6-lee-no-8/article_a10fef14-c22e-11ea-9680-630dfa404fbd.html

9C42E143-4BD9-44F8-BFA5-158BF54B8A1E.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alto released season ticket info today. I was surprised to find out that no other school in our district has season tickets anymore. Our chairbacks and reserved bench are sold out each year and are a hot commodity when someone decides to release their tickets! Many folks have owned the same seats since the stadium opened in 1994 so you can imagine the thought and planning that has gone into the info released today. No one will be completely happy, but hats off to the admin for putting together a plan with participants’ parents first and those folks who invested in the current stadium from the start (the ‘94 lifetimers).

https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1596212258/altoesc7net/samvs1fpctgkp5rxvulf/CoronavirusFootballTicketSystem1.pdf

3 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

Alto released season ticket info today. I was surprised to find out that no other school in our district has season tickets anymore. Our chairbacks and reserved bench are sold out each year and are a hot commodity when someone decides to release their tickets! Many folks have owned the same seats since the stadium opened in 1994 so you can imagine the thought and planning that has gone into the info released today. No one will be completely happy, but hats off to the admin for putting together a plan with participants’ parents first and those folks who invested in the current stadium from the start (the ‘94 lifetimers).

https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1596212258/altoesc7net/samvs1fpctgkp5rxvulf/CoronavirusFootballTicketSystem1.pdf

A lot of thought and effort went into that....I hope there isn't a test on it cuz I would fail. Good luck Jackets, you guys have some awesome fans

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BlueBlood99 said:

A lot of thought and effort went into that....I hope there isn't a test on it cuz I would fail. Good luck Jackets, you guys have some awesome fans

Lol No test! Lots of planning, thought, and huge headaches I’m sure. Just the craziest of times we are living in now. Ugh

All the best to Joaquin this season!

Condolences to our wonderful leader and his family in the loss of their extraordinary father. Coach Meeks was blessed to see his son take on his first head coaching job at Alto and to enjoy coming to most of the games over the last two years. I know how proud Debbie and Coach Meeks have been and what an amazing experience for our Coach Meeks to have been able to coach with his dad those years. Our hearts and prayers go out to the family. 

Service Schedule:

Saturday, August 8th

1:00 pm to 2:00 pm visitation 
2:00 pm is the service

Mobberly Baptist Church, Longview TX

https://www.kltv.com/2020/08/03/legendary-coach-dickey-meeks-passes-away/

• Like 1

Grapeland Has their whole offensive

line back and will only lose one after this year. I believe Grapeland Should focus all their attention on that o- line and d-line. From the Incoming freshmen to the seniors they have so many bodies on the O-line and d-line. More than they have had in years past. Size doesn’t matter sometimes but I know they have 3 to 4 starters reaching 300 or over. 

I really hope they get to play and I hope that Jr high gets to work with the coaches and learn the system. That group will be special and I mean special.  Most kids don’t play football until jr high or high school in Grapeland. That group has played together for years and won multiple pee wee Championships over towns way bigger like Corsicana, Franklin, Mexia, and Palestine. Yes, they were mixed with Crockett kids but a big core of them play for Grapeland. 

Glad to be back in a district with Groveton and Grapeland. Our schools go way way back! I thought it was gonna be fun having both schools as the last two games on our schedule since we are picked to be the top 3 finishers. Now that Grapeland has been moved to the FIRST district game for us, we have book ends! Lol Looking forward to the season. 

Yes without a doubt! Love playing Alto and Groveton. Huge win for Grapeland getting y’all the  first district game and only five games under a  young team belt.  I would of hated to play y’all the last district game with a lil Experience under yalls belt.

On 8/5/2020 at 10:28 PM, bigj said:

Yes without a doubt! Love playing Alto and Groveton. Huge win for Grapeland getting y’all the  first district game and only five games under a  young team belt.  I would of hated to play y’all the last district game with a lil Experience under yalls belt.

We’re gonna have to grow up/step up fast! Almost all juniors and sophomores with a handful of seniors. Much different than last year when we had 17 seniors!

Yellowjackets will have to grow up fast this year

ALTO — With only four starters back from last season's 11-1 Area finalist team, it is safe to say a large number of Alto Yellowjackets have something to prove, as they attempt to nail down a starting spot during fall training camp, which got under way on Monday.

Among the Yellowjackets top returnees are Jay Pope and Jackson Howell.

Pope, who plays wide receiver and free safety is an electrifying player who can ignite a team in a hurry from either position. Pope is the Jackets' top returning pass catcher and interceptions leader.

Howell is Alto's leading returning tackler and a mainstay on the Yellowjacket defense from his linebacker slot. Howell should see some minutes at tight end on the offensive side.

Will Dixon will be handling the quarterbacking duties this year, while Isaack Weatherford, Jer'Darious Bolton, and Jackson Duplichain could all see time in the backfield.

Landry Smith, Jesus Tellez and Clayton Gresham will be the team's key offensive linemen. The trio also play on the defensive line.

Alto will launch the 2020 campaign at home on Aug. 28, with Troup providing the opposition.

The Jackets, in UIL Region III, will be members of District 11-2A-I, which also includes Centerville, Groveton, Grapeland, Jewitt Leon and Normangee.

Despite their youth and inexperience, at least one state-wide publication, Dave Campbell's Texas Football, believes the Jackets will make their presence known this fall by winning the conference championship.

That is respect in the purest form.

https://www.jacksonvilleprogress.com/sports/yellowjackets-will-have-to-grow-up-fast-this-year/article_39140d3e-d76c-11ea-a92d-4b53421491ed.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Howell, Jackson.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 1:46 PM, Eagleborn said:

Beckville has a incoming freshman thats gonna be a monster. 

He has a younger brother going into 7th grade this year that’s going to be a good all around athlete also

SHELBYVILLE @ ALTO:

Controlled:

1st team: Alto 1 - Shelbyville 1
2nd team/JV: Alto 1 - Shelbyville 0

Live (20 minutes):

Alto 7 - Shelbyville 7 (both offenses scored)

Alto had 1 pick 6 for a TD and another interception that might have been a TD but was blown dead because they weren’t allowed to advance a defensive turnover.

Shelbyville had a ton of returning lettermen and starters. Alto is young and reloading after graduating 17 players. I think Shelbyville has a talented team and will make some noise in District 11. Great size and speed.

The scrimmage was a good learning experience for Alto. It highlighted areas to work on and some things we did well.

Next up: Troup @ Alto

• Like 2

12 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

SHELBYVILLE @ ALTO:

Controlled:

1st team: Alto 1 - Shelbyville 1
2nd team/JV: Alto 1 - Shelbyville 0

Live (20 minutes):

Alto 7 - Shelbyville 7 (both offenses scored)

Alto had 1 pick 6 for a TD and another interception that might have been a TD but was blown dead because they weren’t allowed to advance a defensive turnover.

Shelbyville had a ton of returning lettermen and starters. Alto is young and reloading after graduating 17 players. I think Shelbyville has a talented team and will make some noise in District 11. Great size and speed.

The scrimmage was a good learning experience for Alto. It highlighted areas to work on and some things we did well.

Next up: Troup @ Alto

I agree. Shelbyville was a much needed opponent for our youngsters to see 1st rattle out of the gate. Very very strong O-Line and a qb that is going to be a problem if given any room to run when things break down. I am looking forward to seeing how things shake out over there in 10. 

• Like 1

DISTRICT 11 SCHEDULES

ALTO ( 0-1 / 0-0 )
W1 - TROUP  0-27
W2 - TIMPSON  
W3 - @ PRICE CARLISLE  
W4 - @ WINONA  
W5 - @ SAN AUGUSTINE  
W6 - GRAPELAND  
W7 - @ CENTERVILLE  
W8 - JEWETT LEON  
W9 - @ NORMANGEE  
W10 - @ GROVETON  
W11 - BYE  

CENTERVILLE ( 0-1 / 0-0 )
W1 - @ NEW WAVERLY  12-34
W2 - @ CORRIGAN-CAMDEN  
W3 - THORNDALE  
W4 - PALESTINE WESTWOOD  
W5 - @ BREMOND  
W6 - @ JEWETT LEON  
W7 - ALTO  
W8 - @ GROVETON  
W9 - GRAPELAND  
W10 - NORMANGEE  
W11 - BYE  

GRAPELAND ( 1-0 / 0-0 )
W1 - @ SHELBYVILLE  32-19
W2 - ELKHART  
W3 - @ CAYUGA  
W4 - @ KIRBYVILLE  
W5 - BURKEVILLE  
W6 - @ ALTO
W7 - GROVETON  
W8 - NORMANGEE  
W9 - @ CENTERVILLE  
W10 - JEWETT LEON  
W11 - BYE  

GROVETON ( 1-0 / 0-0 )
W1 - LOVELADY  36-16
W2 - @ TRINITY  
W3 - JOAQUIN  
W4 - @ SHELBYVILLE  
W5 - GARRISON  
W6 - @ NORMANGEE  
W7 - @ GRAPELAND  
W8 - CENTERVILLE  
W9 - @ JEWETT LEON  
W10 - ALTO  
W11 - BYE  

JEWETT LEON ( 1-0 / 0-0 )
W1 - ROSEBUD-LOTT  49-34
W2 - @ DAWSON  
W3 - SOMERVILLE  
W4 - @ BRUCEVILLE-EDDY  
W5 - CAYUGA  
W6 - CENTERVILLE  
W7 - @ NORMANGEE  
W8 - @ ALTO  
W9 - GROVETON  
W10 - @ GRAPELAND  
W11 - BYE  

NORMANGEE ( 1-0 / 0-0 )
W1 - @ BREMOND  29-14
W2 - IOLA  
W3 - @ CHILTON  
W4 - LOVELADY  
W5 - 
W6 - GROVETON  
W7 - JEWETT LEON  
W8 - @ GRAPELAND  
W9 - ALTO  
W10 - @ CENTERVILLE  
W11 - BYE  

MaxPreps Top 25 - 8/23/2020

(Region 3 schools in bold)

#    School
1    Refugio
2    Post
3    Shiner
4    Hawley
5    San Saba
6    San Augustine | 10-2A
7    Mason
8    Joaquin | 10-2A
9    West Texas (Stinnett)
10    Panhandle
11    Holland | 12-2A
12    Alto | 11-2A
13    Weimar
14    Garrison | 10-2A
15    New Deal
16    Thorndale | 12-2A
17    Crawford
18    Sundown
19    Lindsay
20    Carlisle | 9-2A
21    Groveton | 11-2A
22    Italy
23    Bruceville-Eddy | 12-2A
24    Hearne | 12-2A
25    Rivercrest

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/rankings/football/1/division/tx/cmVrfyLYeEC9NNycXnmk-A/division-2a-1.htm