District 11-2A (D1) Region 3 - 2020-2021

StingEmALTO

9 hours ago, topher805 said:

So weird to see Alto at 0-3. Tough schedule for sure, but just weird to see. You can also see the improvement from week to week in the scores...

I think Grapeland is in the drivers seat right now, but that game against Alto is going to be tough. Grapeland hasn't beaten Alto since the early 90's. Lost something like 14 straight and all by double digits. This looks like a year where the Sandies have a good chance to break through, but it won't be easy. Gonna be a heck of a game here in a couple of weeks...

Weird on this end, too! 😩

Wish the game vs. Grapeland was still Week 10 but it is what it is: moved from Game 5 to Game 1 of district! I know our boys will give it all they have. Winona this week, San Augustine the next, then Grapeland. Ready for these growing pains to be over! 😂

Keep getting better every game Jackets. And we must stay healthy, too. 🙏

7 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

Could be both? 🤷‍♂️  I know Groveton lost a ton of kids, including the MVP QB coach’s son. Someone else who has seen both play can probably give a better comment. 

Why would they have Groveton ranked so high after losing that many players from last yr

3 minutes ago, TDJ89 said:

Why would they have Groveton ranked so high after losing that many players from last yr

Good question. I have no idea. They struggled with Lovelady before pulling away in the second half and then beat Trinity by 1. 🤷‍♂️ They had them at 8 and then 7. Who knows. 

47 minutes ago, MARLINDOGS said:

Because they made it to the Quarterfinal last year. The early rankings are pretty much based on where they finished the season before

Reminds me of the yr EF went to state in '07 with a Sr loaded team, the next following season Dave Campbell had us to win state with only 2 returning starters on offense and about 3 back on defense, we didn't even make the playoffs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StingEmALTO said:

Could be both? 🤷‍♂️  I know Groveton lost a ton of kids, including the MVP QB coach’s son. Someone else who has seen both play can probably give a better comment. 

Joaquin lost a ton of talent last year also but our program has made some big strides in the last few years and we now seem to just reload.  This was supposed to be a “rebuilding” year but Joe is playing pretty good football for early in the season. Development of youth will determine how good . With starting 1 freshman and 5 sophomores, we should only get better as the season progresses.  I truly think our coaching staff is among the best in East Texas so I think we will be pretty nasty by the time playoffs roll around.

Our Sophomore class is special.  I think they could finally get Joe over the hump in a couple of years if all goes well . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

Weird on this end, too! 😩

Wish the game vs. Grapeland was still Week 10 but it is what it is: moved from Game 5 to Game 1 of district! I know our boys will give it all they have. Winona this week, San Augustine the next, then Grapeland. Ready for these growing pains to be over! 😂

Keep getting better every game Jackets. And we must stay healthy, too. 🙏

Not going to say Grapeland would have lost in Week 10, but playing in the district opener definitely helps...I can speak for a lot of people when I say you can take your time with these growing pains. No rush...😂

• Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

15 hours ago, TDJ89 said:

Reminds me of the yr EF went to state in '07 with a Sr loaded team, the next following season Dave Campbell had us to win state with only 2 returning starters on offense and about 3 back on defense, we didn't even make the playoffs. 

You would think they would look at what the teams have coming back 

• Like 1

So a little crazy this week. 

Alto gets cancelled on. Not sure if it get the W via forfeit, but as of now is still 0-3 in my eyes.

CV wins over Westwood 36-10 seems like a decent win.  Westwood seems a tad better then years past. 

Grapeland gets thumped by Kirbyville 61-18. Have no idea about Kirby this year but they have been down a few years for sure. 

Normangee wins handily over Lovelady 50-12. I believe lovelady is down a little this year but good win for Normangee regardless. 

Groveton drops one to Shelbyville 54-27  Not sure how this one is  Shelbyville seems to be up and down some.  Sure doesn’t help Groveton afte the loss last week. 

Haven’t seen Leon vs. B-E score.    - Cancelled  not sure on anything other then that  

So it looks like Normangee is now the only undefeated team so far in the district. I still feel this will be a competitive and wide open district. A lot of tradition in most all of these schools and always tough teams to play year in and year out. May be interesting how this one shakes out. 

• Like 1

Normangee may have the best win over Bremond so far. Grapeland may still be the favorite, we shall see. Centerville beating Westwood may be a sign they are getting it together over there. Leon - tonight would’ve told a lot about them. Looking at a bit of their stuff they have some decent size on that squad.  Groveton seems to be falling down some. Alto, well 0-3 says it all as of now. A lot of talent just need to get it going. 

I believe Centerville has a move in at QB and they are actually letting him throw the ball a lil. 

Grapeland played without a few starters last night.  

I have watched Westwood and buffalo. So Centerville must have something. 

• Like 2

11-2A Week 4 Results:

* Alto 2 - Winona 0 (forfeit lol)
* Centerville 36 - Westwood 10
* Kirbyville 61 - Grapeland 18
* Shelbyville 54 - Groveton  27
* Leon 40 - Hamilton 22
* Normangee 50 - Lovelady 12 

11-2A Week 5 Schedule:

* Alto (0-3) @ San Augustine (1-1)
* Centerville (3-1) @ Bremond (3-1)
* Burkeville (1-3) @ Grapeland (3-1)
* Garrison (1-2) @ Groveton (2-2)
* Cayuga (1-3) @ Leon (3-1)
* Normangee (3-0) @ New Waverly (2-0)

11-2A Standings:

* (3-0) Normangee
* (3-1) Centerville
* (3-1) Grapeland 
* (3-1) Leon 
* (2-2) Groveton
* (0-3) Alto 

5 hours ago, jacketgrad06 said:

So a little crazy this week. 

Alto gets cancelled on. Not sure if it get the W via forfeit, but as of now is still 0-3 in my eyes.

CV wins over Westwood 36-10 seems like a decent win.  Westwood seems a tad better then years past. 

Grapeland gets thumped by Kirbyville 61-18. Have no idea about Kirby this year but they have been down a few years for sure. 

Normangee wins handily over Lovelady 50-12. I believe lovelady is down a little this year but good win for Normangee regardless. 

Groveton drops one to Shelbyville 54-27  Not sure how this one is  Shelbyville seems to be up and down some.  Sure doesn’t help Groveton afte the loss last week. 

Haven’t seen Leon vs. B-E score.    - Cancelled  not sure on anything other then that  

So it looks like Normangee is now the only undefeated team so far in the district. I still feel this will be a competitive and wide open district. A lot of tradition in most all of these schools and always tough teams to play year in and year out. May be interesting how this one shakes out. 

Some good games coming up this week with Normangee and New Waverly both being undefeated and Centerville’s only loss being to New Waverly. Then you have Centerville playing Bremond with Bremond’s only loss to Normangee. Confused yet? Lol

Garrison/Groveton is usually a good game. Both seem to be struggling some so it will be a needed win for somebody.

I see Burkeville won over Mt. Enterprise last night. That has to feel good to a team that has not won a game outright since October 10, 2015 vs. Sabine Pass (Sabine Pass DID forfeit to Burkeville in 2018). That’s almost 5 years without winning a game. Too bad they have to play Grapeland this week. 

And then there’s Alto/San Augustine. Gonna be a real challenge for Alto but not impossible. There’s no quit in those boys and they are getting better each week. We’ll see how SA handles playing the week after a loss. The last time that happened in the regular season was 2018 when Garrison beat them 48-39 in Week 2. Then SA fell the very next week to Tenaha 14-0. Who knows! These are high school kids learning each week with new personnel for both teams. It’s Week 5 but Alto has played only 3 games with SA playing only 2. Always a good game when these two meet. I wouldn’t expect it to be any different this year!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jacketgrad06 said:

My picks

Alto (0-3) *@ San Augustine (1-1)
Centerville (3-1) @ Bremond* (3-1)
Burkeville (1-3) @ Grapeland *(3-1)
Garrison (1-2) @ Groveton* (2-2)
Cayuga (1-3) @ Leon *(3-1)
Normangee *(3-0) @ New Waverly (2-0)

Heard Grapeland tried picking up JH game versus Mart or Shiner. Ended up getting game with Frankston this week.  So, JH won't be playing Burkeville I guess.  No JV game again this week.

• Like 1