Non-District Schedules

uniballer

5 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

I just spoke to Coach King, he stated if they play Temple in 2021 that the winner would host....but its not 100% that Longview plays Temple next year either...all those things are still being discussed

Makes way more sense. Haha. Hopefully they will play. It seems like it should be a good game

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

I just spoke to Coach King, he stated if they play Temple in 2021 that the winner would host....but its not 100% that Longview plays Temple next year either...all those things are still being discussed

That's good to know. I had heard it was just a one year deal, but eh. I would be happy with playing them in 2021 as well. Solid program for sure.

I'm pretty happy with Marshall's non-district schedule....overall.

I wanted us to have a challenging schedule.  No doubt we accomplished that based on their records last season.

New Caney (10-1)
Longview (11-1)
Carthage (16-0)

I think we have a special rivalry brewing with Carthage.  Since Hallsville is refusing to become a rival.....I guess it'll be Carthage.  Will be a sellout more often than not.  Carthage is one of the most solid programs in the state.  Numbers say it all.  Not many 4A programs can hang with 5A programs.... but the Bulldogs have more than proven they can.  Tough game.  Great crowds.  Close proximity for all fans.  This is a win-win situation for both programs.   

New Caney....I know absolutely nothing about them.  Seems they hired a state champion coach (from Cuero).  Had a strong season last year.  Long road trip.... I like it.  I think it's a tremendous upgrade from Tyler Lee IMHO.

I've made no secret about my torn thoughts concerning Longview.  As a traditionalist.... I love seeing a historic rivalry (109 years) continue.  But as a realist.... I just don't see the point anymore.  Longview has 800 (plus or minus) more students than Marshall.  Outside of Lufkin (and occasionally JT)... no one in East Texas has proven they can hang with Longview: Tyler Lee, Marshall, Texas High, Sulphur Springs, Whitehouse, Jacksonville.  The list of blowouts in that group is astonishing.  They are simply at another level right now.  Everyone else either needs to step up... or we wait for Longview to return to Earth (which the above posts suggest that's not happening any time soon). 

I have more respect for the Lobo program than another other program in East Texas.  Their coach.  Their history.  But.....TBH.... with the exception of a few.... I find their fanbase...... difficult.... to deal with.  So I don't.  I haven't participated in a Lobo thread in a long...long time (even Longview Vs. Marshall).  It's just better that way.   

It's time to let it go.  Move on.  Let's go play Lufkin.... or Manvel.... or a Frisco school.  Find a competitive game.  A game that will be tough.... prepare us for district... and the playoffs.  Make us better.  

But.... like I said...overall...I'm happy with our non-district schedule.  We will be battle tested for sure.  (0-3) is a possibility.  Hoping for (2-1) or better.  I just hope we can make all three of break a sweat and work for it.

Can't wait for the season.