9-5A Div II Football Thread

Mavchamp

Lindale is gone.  Texas High joins the party.  We are still in region III.  

Marshall
Jacksonville
Whitehouse
Texas High
Nacogdoches
Hallsville
Pine Tree
Mount Pleasant

Schedules?
Predictions?

Marshall Schedule

Week 1 @ New Caney

Week 2 Longview
Week 3 @ Carthage
Week 4 BYE
Week 5 Pine Tree*
Week 6 @ Jacksonville*
Week 7 Texas High*
Week 8 @ Whitehouse*
Week 9 Mount Pleasant*
Week 10 @Hallsville*
Week 11 Nacogdoches*

Thoughts:

1.  First ever meeting with New Caney.  They were 10-1 last season.  A long road trip to open the season against a qulaity opponent.  I like it. 

2.  It will be the 109th meeting with the Lobos.  It is what it is.  Money talks.  

3.  Thrilled to see Carthage on the schedule again.  There were rumors that the series wouldn't renew.  Quality opponent.  Defending champs.  Should be another big crowd in Panola County.

4.  Opening district against PT is huge because I think the Pirates will be a district title contender.  If PT opens the season 3-0... this could mark another big crowd at Maverick Stadium.

5.  Absolutely love the new Tomato Bowl (minus the parking).  It's a top 3 facility in East Texas now.  Rarely an easy win.  Looking forward to it.

6.  Renewal of Marshall's third oldest rivalry (after Longview and John Tyler).  The last time Marshall lost a district game was in 2016..... against Texas High.    Their last meeting was in 2017.... a 35-33 thriller.  

7.  Going back to Whitehouse makes me cringe.  All I'm going to say about that.

8. MP coming back to town.  I'm guessing this will be Homecoming.  Tigers put up a pretty good fight for a half last year.  I think they will be improved in 2020.  

9.  Headed back to Hallsville.  On paper... it looks like the Bobcats are in for a long season.  But I wish them the best.  

10.  Nacogoches will be coming back to town.  I think the playoffs/seeding will be involved with this game in some capacity.  A meaningful game in week 11 is important IMHO.  Should be a good one.  

51 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Lindale is gone.  Texas High joins the party.  We are still in region III.  

Marshall
Jacksonville
Whitehouse
Texas High
Nacogdoches
Hallsville
Pine Tree
Mount Pleasant

Schedules?
Predictions?

1. Texas High

2. Marshall

3. Mount Pleasant

4. Pine Tree

5. Nac

6. Jax

7. Whitehouse

8. Hallsville 

1. Texas High - Welcome to Div. II

2. Marshall - Beat everyone besides teams just as athletic as they are. (6-4)

3. Pine Tree - QB gets them to #3

4. Nac - 2nd year under new coach, better make it in this year. 

5. Mt. Pleasant - Good RB’s but not good enough. 

6. Whitehouse - Too young & No Mahomes

7. Jacksonville - No identity 

8. Hallsville - No chance

Texas High only playoff winner in 2020. 

I don’t know what everyone has coming back TBH. 

PT has 9 I think coming back on offense.  So that should pop some eyes. 

Marshall has 8 coming back on offense.  Not sure about defense.   I was to say 6 or 7. But I’m not 💯 about that. 

Whitehouse is losing a ton on offense.  

outside of  that.... I’m pretty limited. 

i picked THS to win the district solely based on the fact that their QB is returning and their playoff win over Lufkin.  

Marshall should be a favorite too.... but we have to find a QB this spring.   Seems like we go through this every spring either by graduation, injury, or extra curriculars. 

51 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Tomato bowl a top 3 facility in the pines? I gotta see these upgrades. 

Longview and Tyler have way more parking space........but inside the fences Jacksonville isn’t far behind those 2(same can be said for Texas High/Grim). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Longview and Tyler have way more parking space........but inside the fences Jacksonville isn’t far behind those 2(same can be said for Texas High/Grim). 

INSIDE..... I think it’s nicer than either. 

The parking is atrocious though.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pack007 said:

The transformation is shocking. 
Best turf in East Texas.  Hands down. 
The way they did the concessions is fantastic (in the end zone). 
Restrooms are great. 
Visitors side stands are plenty big Now when they use to barely hold the band. 

Parking is the only issue. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

The transformation is shocking. 
Best turf in East Texas.  Hands down. 
The way they did the concessions is fantastic (in the end zone). 
Restrooms are great. 
Visitors side stands are plenty big Now when they use to barely hold the band. 

Parking is the only issue. 

The more things change the more they stay the same. Nac has to wait another year the Jacksonville game is at home for us again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Yes!!! Come over any time, I would love to meet you and show you around. We'll have to park in Rusk but that's no big deal :)

3 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

1.  Marshall

2.  Texas High

3.  Pine Tree 

4. Nacogdoches 

5.  Whitehouse 

6.  Mount Pleasant

7.  Jacksonville 

8.  Hallsville 

I think the Mavericks continue their District Championship streak.

If we find a QB.... I think we are in good shape.  The offense should be crazy good with a platoon of experienced WR's and several guys that can tote the rock coming back.  

Just gotta find someone that can run the offense and make some completions downfield. 

The offense SHOULD be versatile enough that the QB doesn't have to be fantastic.... just efficient.  

If we find that.... I think we can challenge Texas High.

9 minutes ago, VonG said:

The top 3 football stadiums in East Texas  right now is Pine Tree, Jacksonville,  and Sulphur Springs. Add Lindale and Tyler to round out the top 5.

I'll agree with PT and Jax..... BUT...

Sulphur Springs?
Lindale?

NO SIR.  Even with their upgrades.... they aren't even in the conversation.

JMHO.

7 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I'll agree with PT and Jax..... BUT...

Sulphur Springs?
Lindale?

NO SIR.  Even with their upgrades.... they aren't even in the conversation.

JMHO.

Name 2 other stadiums to replace them. I'll give you Lindale maybe. 

Best stadiums in East Texas 5A Div II...IMHO.... PROS AND CONS

1.  Jacksonville Tomato Bowl
PROS:  Best renovation I've ever seen.  Hands down the best turf in East Texas.  The concessions set up (behind the endzone) is a great idea. because it avoids congestion under the stands.  Still has the history of the train passing by.  Has a "bowl" feeling to it.  No track allows you to be right on top of the action. Video board.

CONS:  Parking.  Parking Parking.  There is more parking in this sentence than there is around the Tomato Bowl.

2.  Pine Tree Pirate Stadium
PROS:  It's shiny and new.  The inside of the stadium is great.  When it's full.... it can rock and roll (saw Kilgore Vs. Henderson there.... WOW).  Great turf, lighting, and video board.  Always enjoy games at Pirate Stadium (it helps that we've never lost there.... at 6-0).

CONS:  Traffic into and out of the stadium is HORRENDOUS.  You WILL miss kickoff if you get there after 7P.  There is a small parking lot behind the visitor's side...which is great if you get there early enough to get a spot.  If not... be prepared TO WALK A MILE.  The visitor's stands are a little small for BIG games.  Seen it overflow a couple of times.    

3.  Mount Pleasant Sam Parker Field 
PROS:  Plenty of seating.  Parking is good.  Not much to complain about....

CONS:  .......except that it's plain.  Vanilla.  Cookie-cutter.  There isn't anything special.... or even memorable about Sam Parker Field.  It looks like 1000 other stadiums in the state.  Yawn.  

4. Hallsville Bobcat Stadium
PROS:  Parking is OK.  Well kept.  

CONS:  Same as MP's stadium.  It's boring.  Plain.  Nothing special.  It drops below MP because of traffic into and out of the stadium (especially if a train is coming through town).  Parking is tough for big games.  Visitor's side is a little small for BIG games.

5.  Texas High Tiger Stadium at Grim Park  

PROS:  history, history, history.  And a TOUGH place to win.  Great atmosphere when it's a big game with a big crowd.  Concessions area is great (end the endzone).   The renovations were great. 

CONS:  Parking is meh.  And.... we can't forget... those concrete seats!!!!  

6.  Marshall Maverick Stadium
PROS-  She's slowly getting a total renovation.  New turf (2018), new stadium lighting (2019), video board (2018), new press box (2018).  Other than Rose Stadium, no East Texas stadium offers more seating to visiting fans.  Parking is plentiful (unless Longview is in town).  The Piney Woods in the West Endzone makes it feel intimate.  

CONS:  Restrooms and concessions are on the renovation list... and LONG OVERDUE.  Rumor mill says it will happen this summer.  Fingers crossed.  New bleachers and stadium chairs needed.  When all the renos are done... I think  we bump up a few notches.  But until then..... we remain down the list.

7.  Whitehouse Wildcat Stadium
PROS:  Concessions area is nice (once you finally get there).  They FINALLY expanded their 3A sized visitor's side.  Plenty of seating for most games now.

CONS:  Concessions are a 2 mile walk.   Parking is tight for big games.  Getting in and out is tough.  My OCD can't let go of the fact their their home stands are not centered to the 50 yardline.  They had turf issues at our game.  Appears that the seams were coming apart.

8.  Nacogdoches Dragon Stadium
PROS:  Always plenty of seating when I've been there (home and away side).  New turf.  Video board.

CONS:  No atmosphere.  Feels like a stadium in the middle of a pasture.  Nothing really special about it.  Concessions are meh. 

9.  Sulphur Springs Gerald Prim Stadium
PROS:  Brand new home side.  Looks fantastic.  New turf.

CONS:  Anything on the visitor's side.  Restrooms, concessions, seating.  And the parking gives Jacksonville a run for their money.

All of East Texas 5A (I'll toss in Lindale even though they are dropping to 4A)

1.  Jacksonville
2.  Rose Stadium
3.  Longview
4.  Pine Tree
5.  MP
6.  Hallsville
7.  Texas High
8.  Marshall
9.  Whitehouse
10.  Lindale - visitor's side is their downfall.
11.  Nacogdoches
12.  Sulphur Springs

JMHO

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

PROS:  Best renovation I've ever seen.  Hands down the best turf in East Texas.  The concessions set up (behind the endzone) is a great idea. because it avoids congestion under the stands.  Still has the history of the train passing by.  Has a "bowl" feeling to it.  No track allows you to be right on top of the action. Video board.

CONS:  Parking.  Parking Parking.  There is more parking in this sentence than there is around the Tomato Bowl.

PROS:  It's shiny and new.  The inside of the stadium is great.  When it's full.... it can rock and roll (saw Kilgore Vs. Henderson there.... WOW).  Great turf, lighting, and video board.  Always enjoy games at Pirate Stadium (it helps that we've never lost there.... at 6-0).

CONS:  Traffic into and out of the stadium is HORRENDOUS.  You WILL miss kickoff if you get there after 7P.  There is a small parking lot behind the visitor's side...which is great if you get there early enough to get a spot.  If not... be prepared TO WALK A MILE.  The visitor's stands are a little small for BIG games.  Seen it overflow a couple of times.    

CONS:  .......except that it's plain.  Vanilla.  Cookie-cutter.  There isn't anything special.... or even memorable about Sam Parker Field.  It looks like 1000 other stadiums in the state.  Yawn.  

CONS:  Same as MP's stadium.  It's boring.  Plain.  Nothing special.  It drops below MP because of traffic into and out of the stadium (especially if a train is coming through town).  Parking is tough for big games.  Visitor's side is a little small for BIG games.

PROS:  history, history, history.  And a TOUGH place to win.  Great atmosphere when it's a big game with a big crowd.  Concessions area is great (end the endzone).   The renovations were great. 

PROS-  She's slowly getting a total renovation.  New turf (2018), new stadium lighting (2019), video board (2018), new press box (2018).  Other than Rose Stadium, no East Texas stadium offers more seating to visiting fans.  Parking is plentiful (unless Longview is in town).  The Piney Woods in the West Endzone makes it feel intimate.  

CONS:  Restrooms and concessions are on the renovation list... and LONG OVERDUE.  Rumor mill says it will happen this summer.  Fingers crossed.  New bleachers and stadium chairs needed.  When all the renos are done... I think  we bump up a few notches.  But until then..... we remain down the list.

PROS:  Concessions area is nice (once you finally get there).  They FINALLY expanded their 3A sized visitor's side.  Plenty of seating for most games now.

CONS:  Concessions are a 2 mile walk.   Parking is tight for big games.  Getting in and out is tough.  My OCD can't let go of the fact their their home stands are not centered to the 50 yardline.  They had turf issues at our game.  Appears that the seams were coming apart.

PROS:  Always plenty of seating when I've been there (home and away side).  New turf.  Video board.

CONS:  No atmosphere.  Feels like a stadium in the middle of a pasture.  Nothing really special about it.  Concessions are meh. 

CONS:  Anything on the visitor's side.  Restrooms, concessions, seating.  And the parking gives Jacksonville a run for their money.

1.  Jacksonville
2.  Rose Stadium
3.  Longview
4.  Pine Tree
5.  MP
6.  Hallsville
7.  Texas High
8.  Marshall
9.  Whitehouse
11.  Nacogdoches
12.  Sulphur Springs

JMHO

The size of a stadium shouldn't determine if it's the nicest or not. Nice is nice regardless if it has a small visitor side or not.

13 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

1.  Jacksonville
2.  Rose Stadium
3.  Longview
4.  Pine Tree
5.  MP
6.  Hallsville
7.  Texas High
8.  Marshall
9.  Whitehouse
11.  Nacogdoches
12.  Sulphur Springs

JMHO

That’s extremely accurate. Our concessions though are getting better.