9-5A Div II Football Thread

Mavchamp

20 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Best stadiums in East Texas 5A Div II...IMHO.... PROS AND CONS

1.  Jacksonville Tomato Bowl
PROS:  Best renovation I've ever seen.  Hands down the best turf in East Texas.  The concessions set up (behind the endzone) is a great idea. because it avoids congestion under the stands.  Still has the history of the train passing by.  Has a "bowl" feeling to it.  No track allows you to be right on top of the action. Video board.

CONS:  Parking.  Parking Parking.  There is more parking in this sentence than there is around the Tomato Bowl.

2.  Pine Tree Pirate Stadium
PROS:  It's shiny and new.  The inside of the stadium is great.  When it's full.... it can rock and roll (saw Kilgore Vs. Henderson there.... WOW).  Great turf, lighting, and video board.  Always enjoy games at Pirate Stadium (it helps that we've never lost there.... at 6-0).

CONS:  Traffic into and out of the stadium is HORRENDOUS.  You WILL miss kickoff if you get there after 7P.  There is a small parking lot behind the visitor's side...which is great if you get there early enough to get a spot.  If not... be prepared TO WALK A MILE.  The visitor's stands are a little small for BIG games.  Seen it overflow a couple of times.    

3.  Mount Pleasant Sam Parker Field 
PROS:  Plenty of seating.  Parking is good.  Not much to complain about....

CONS:  .......except that it's plain.  Vanilla.  Cookie-cutter.  There isn't anything special.... or even memorable about Sam Parker Field.  It looks like 1000 other stadiums in the state.  Yawn.  

4. Hallsville Bobcat Stadium
PROS:  Parking is OK.  Well kept.  

CONS:  Same as MP's stadium.  It's boring.  Plain.  Nothing special.  It drops below MP because of traffic into and out of the stadium (especially if a train is coming through town).  Parking is tough for big games.  Visitor's side is a little small for BIG games.

5.  Texas High Tiger Stadium at Grim Park  

PROS:  history, history, history.  And a TOUGH place to win.  Great atmosphere when it's a big game with a big crowd.  Concessions area is great (end the endzone).   The renovations were great. 

CONS:  Parking is meh.  And.... we can't forget... those concrete seats!!!!  

6.  Marshall Maverick Stadium
PROS-  She's slowly getting a total renovation.  New turf (2018), new stadium lighting (2019), video board (2018), new press box (2018).  Other than Rose Stadium, no East Texas stadium offers more seating to visiting fans.  Parking is plentiful (unless Longview is in town).  The Piney Woods in the West Endzone makes it feel intimate.  

CONS:  Restrooms and concessions are on the renovation list... and LONG OVERDUE.  Rumor mill says it will happen this summer.  Fingers crossed.  New bleachers and stadium chairs needed.  When all the renos are done... I think  we bump up a few notches.  But until then..... we remain down the list.

7.  Whitehouse Wildcat Stadium
PROS:  Concessions area is nice (once you finally get there).  They FINALLY expanded their 3A sized visitor's side.  Plenty of seating for most games now.

CONS:  Concessions are a 2 mile walk.   Parking is tight for big games.  Getting in and out is tough.  My OCD can't let go of the fact their their home stands are not centered to the 50 yardline.  They had turf issues at our game.  Appears that the seams were coming apart.

8.  Nacogdoches Dragon Stadium
PROS:  Always plenty of seating when I've been there (home and away side).  New turf.  Video board.

CONS:  No atmosphere.  Feels like a stadium in the middle of a pasture.  Nothing really special about it.  Concessions are meh. 

9.  Sulphur Springs Gerald Prim Stadium
PROS:  Brand new home side.  Looks fantastic.  New turf.

CONS:  Anything on the visitor's side.  Restrooms, concessions, seating.  And the parking gives Jacksonville a run for their money.

All of East Texas 5A (I'll toss in Lindale even though they are dropping to 4A)

1.  Jacksonville
2.  Rose Stadium
3.  Longview
4.  Pine Tree
5.  MP
6.  Hallsville
7.  Texas High
8.  Marshall
9.  Whitehouse
10.  Lindale - visitor's side is their downfall.
11.  Nacogdoches
12.  Sulphur Springs

JMHO

How did Carthage not make your list?

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

My thoughts exactly....... but I'm getting looked at like I have a third eye on my forehead.

Ours isn’t that bad, we are still due for upgrades the lighting has been replaced. The press box is getting redone. I’ve also heard that after the bond projects are completed that they would look into upgrading the seating.

On 2/4/2020 at 10:47 PM, Mavchamp said:

You mentioned Lindale too..... still can't understand that one.

But Sulphur Springs is TERRIBLE unless you are on the home side.

JMHO.

I agree......PT is great.

Massive pass on PT's stadium.

I get it's still newish, and I get that it's a massive upgrade over their previous.

And maybe it's just from when Longview made their lone visit their, but god almighty. I just absolutely hated the experience there, with the parking, and the packed in that away side like sardines. The lack of wind throughout the stadium (have never been that hot at a stadium) probably didn't help any.

20 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

We do have a QB coming back with varsity experience and playing time. That helps tremendously.

Some think he was the better of the 2, but they weent going to sit a 3 year senior starter last year.

18 hours ago, Aledo said:

2018 vs Huntsville, lost 57-7. The time before that they made the playoffs '13 & '14 losing in the first round each time. Looks like their best run was in '92 when they made the 3rd round and lost to Lake Highlands 31-28.

Yes 1992 was the best/longest run. Losing on a Phil Dawson FG as time expired.

On 2/4/2020 at 5:55 PM, Mavchamp said:

Best stadiums in East Texas 5A Div II...IMHO.... PROS AND CONS

8.  Nacogdoches Dragon Stadium
PROS:  Always plenty of seating when I've been there (home and away side).  New turf.  Video board.

CONS:  No atmosphere.  Feels like a stadium in the middle of a pasture.  Nothing really special about it.  Concessions are meh. 

The atmosphere is changing!! New announcer better game day presentation:) Now just adds some wins!!!

8 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Massive pass on PT's stadium.

I get it's still newish, and I get that it's a massive upgrade over their previous.

And maybe it's just from when Longview made their lone visit their, but god almighty. I just absolutely hated the experience there, with the parking, and the packed in that away side like sardines. The lack of wind throughout the stadium (have never been that hot at a stadium) probably didn't help any.

The parking and traffic is horrendous.  No doubt. 

and yeah...  the visitors side is tight.  We’ve had fans on the home side before.  But we’ve only had cold weather games there.  No sweating. 

Been there for 6 Marshall games.  Been there for a few playoff games that were either sold out or close....I like the atmosphere when it’s full.  
I enjoy it a lot once I’m inside.  But getting there is troublesome. 

After further consideration and input from a trusted adviser, I have amended my picks for this District. 

1.  Marshall

2.  Texas High

3.  Pine Tree 

4A. Nacogdoches 

4B.  Mount Pleasant

6.  Whitehouse

7.  Jacksonville 

8.  Hallsville 

I still think the Mavericks continue their District Championship streak.

7 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

After further consideration and input from a trusted adviser, I have amended my picks for this District. 

1.  Marshall

2.  Texas High

3.  Pine Tree 

4A. Nacogdoches 

4B.  Mount Pleasant

6.  Whitehouse

7.  Jacksonville 

8.  Hallsville 

I still think the Mavericks continue their District Championship streak.

Interesting...Nac and Mount Pleasant game will be huge. Winner of this game and Pine Tree will be even bigger. 

5 minutes ago, The Real Mavfan said:

Playaction im interested in hearing the reasons why you changed your picks and feel like Marshall will be the favorite.

Me too.  

Marshall has a ton coming back on both sides of the ball.  8 on offense I believe.... but...unfortunately. ...one of them is QB.

That makes me nervous picking them ahead of Texas High and Pine Tree......

I've heard rumors....but I take all that with a grain of salt.

23 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Me too.  

Marshall has a ton coming back on both sides of the ball.  8 on offense I believe.... but...unfortunately. ...one of them is QB.

That makes me nervous picking them ahead of Texas High and Pine Tree......

I've heard rumors....but I take all that with a grain of salt.

Seems like Mount Pleasant and Pine Tree sneaky picks for 2 3 or 4

1 hour ago, tomlandry said:

Seems like Mount Pleasant and Pine Tree sneaky picks for 2 3 or 4

Not sold on MP yet. 
They have serious depth issues that haunt them annually. 
They have been at or near the bottom of the district for so long it’s hard to have too much faith in them. 
BUT.......

They showed good improvement last season.  Problem is... I think Nac will be better too.  And I think THS, Marshall, and PT are wayyy ahead of them.  

I wish them the best.  But it’s an uphill battle for MP it seems. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, tomlandry said:

Everyone collectively seems down on Whitehouse. Did they lose a lot?

They are losing most of their offense. 

Their defense..... was suspect at best. 

Gonna be tough without their QB, WRs, and RB.