9-5A Div II Football Thread

Mavchamp

12 hours ago, tomlandry said:

Everyone collectively seems down on Whitehouse. Did they lose a lot?

I was not impressed with them last year!! I was shocked that they made the playoffs, they had some pretty big breaks fall their way through out the season and in the game against Nac. 

I like PT and have nothing against them, but their defense is always something that keeps me from being sold on them. They are also losing 2-D1 receivers on offense as well. PT needed 5 turnovers to beat Nac last year so I do not believe them to be in the top 2 conversation.

I will say PT has 2 absolute studs coming from the freshman team, a big tall fast QB and a huge bruising bowling ball type running back. 

The reason I changed my pick is because I looked at what everybody was losing and got some insight from someone that I trust that Mt. Pleasant was going to be much improved and that the depth issues that have plagued them in the past will not be as bad next season.

Many reasons I think Marshall will stay on top, but primarily because top to bottom they are the most talented team in this district. I think Marshall will improve year 2 of the Griedl era and that a QB will emerge that will be a pleasant surprise to many. Offensive line play will determine how good Marshall is on offense and I think they will be very strong in this area coming out of spring practice. The defense has talent and will be better next season. Texas High is also not what they once were. They are improving, but I think Marshall will simply be the better team next season.

@The Real Mavfan

@Mavchamp

42 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

I was not impressed with them last year!! I was shocked that they made the playoffs, they had some pretty big breaks fall their way through out the season and in the game against Nac. 

I like PT and have nothing against them, but their defense is always something that keeps me from being sold on them. They are also losing 2-D1 receivers on offense as well. PT needed 5 turnovers to beat Nac last year so I do not believe them to be in the top 2 conversation.

I will say PT has 2 absolute studs coming from the freshman team, a big tall fast QB and a huge bruising bowling ball type running back. 

Shocked is a little extreme considering they finished #2 and were the only districts playoff win.  Sounds like a lot of luck went their way. I do agree they shouldn't have beat you guys... well several teams shouldn't have beat Nac. 

13 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

They are losing most of their offense. 

Their defense..... was suspect at best. 

Gonna be tough without their QB, WRs, and RB.  

They lost 9 starters the year before on offense including the QB, RB, and all 4 WR's. They still managed to finish #2. They'll lose many again so I doubt they put together another run like that back to back. I think they'll finish 4 or 5. I just think people in here immediately count Whitehouse out when they've made the playoffs what last 10/12 years or so? We just seem very bias on the ole Whitehouse Wildcats it seems. Here's the suspect defense Saligner report on last year. Just speaking facts.

Team Defense
------------                               GA  RUSHING  PASSING  TOTAL    AVER.
1-Whitehouse -----------------------------   10    1778     1326    3104    310.4
2-Nacogdoches ----------------------------    9    1790     1116    2906    322.9
3-Marshall -------------------------------   10    1806     1449    3255    325.5
4-Lindale --------------------------------   10    1752     1572    3324    332.4
5-Hallsville -----------------------------    9    1815     1319    3134    348.2
6-Mt. Pleasant ---------------------------   10    1839     1967    3806    380.6
7-Pine Tree ------------------------------   10    2543     1602    4145    414.5
8-Jacksonville ---------------------------   10    3205     1208    4413    441.3

8 minutes ago, Timmons said:

Shocked is a little extreme considering they finished #2 and were the only districts playoff win.  Sounds like a lot of luck went their way. I do agree they shouldn't have beat you guys... well several teams shouldn't have beat Nac. 

Their finishing position doesn't have anything to do whether it shocked me or not. I didn't say luck, I said breaks. Shanked punts in their favor, calls, non-calls, their fumbles that bounce out of bounds. Even Dave Campbell's had them picked 5th or 6th. How the game went against us didn't change my mind at all about what I thought about them all season, in fact it reinforced it!!

Holding them to 14 and one of the touchdowns was on illegal formation fake punt in the last minute of the game.

I do agree a lot of people beat us that shouldn't have. 

21 minutes ago, tomlandry said:

Nacwagon what was your prediction? Just wondering in case I missed it

I am waiting until after Nacs spring game to make my predictions. I need to see how we replace what we lost this past year. QB, OL and WR.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the Pine Tree Pirates 2020 Football Schedule...

8/27...@ Liberty-Eylau 

9/4...@ Lindale

9/11...vs. Kilgore

9/18...BYE

9/25...@ Marshall *

10/2...vs. Nacogdoches*

10/9...vs. Jacksonville*

10/16...@ Texas High*

10/23...vs. Whitehouse*

10/30...@ Mt. Pleasant*

11/6...vs. Hallsville*

*...Denotes 9-5A D-II District games.

Also...the Liberty-Eylau game will be the "KYKX Game of the Week" in Texarkana on Thursday August 27,2020.

Jacksonville is HC.

I'll give my predictions sometime this Spring.

R.J.

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2020 at 6:52 PM, RandyJohnson said:

8/27...@ Liberty-Eylau 

9/4...@ Lindale

9/11...vs. Kilgore

9/18...BYE

9/25...@ Marshall *

10/2...vs. Nacogdoches*

10/9...vs. Jacksonville*

10/16...@ Texas High*

10/23...vs. Whitehouse*

10/30...@ Mt. Pleasant*

11/6...vs. Hallsville*

Also...the Liberty-Eylau game will be the "KYKX Game of the Week" in Texarkana on Thursday August 27,2020.

Jacksonville is HC.

R.J.

Great game of week! My Pirates losing Sparkman and Adams and Key makes me nervous. I can easily see huge shift in district this year. Will know more after the 10-2 meeting with Nac. Whitehouse losing almost everyone on team to graduation and Nac losing QB could mean Mount Pleasant and Pirates battling it out for 3rd. Not sure who Mount Pleasant is losing but I know the running back was just a Junior. Jacksonville has done well but can't seem to get momentum. Plus they lose QB I think. Would have never thought we would've been here 5 years ago!!

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 6:52 PM, RandyJohnson said:

8/27...@ Liberty-Eylau 

9/4...@ Lindale

9/11...vs. Kilgore

9/18...BYE

9/25...@ Marshall *

10/2...vs. Nacogdoches*

10/9...vs. Jacksonville*

10/16...@ Texas High*

10/23...vs. Whitehouse*

10/30...@ Mt. Pleasant*

11/6...vs. Hallsville*

Jacksonville is HC.

R.J.

Randy I think PT has huge advantage with who we play at home and timing of games

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomlandry said:

Great game of week! My Pirates losing Sparkman and Adams and Key makes me nervous. I can easily see huge shift in district this year. Will know more after the 10-2 meeting with Nac. Whitehouse losing almost everyone on team to graduation and Nac losing QB could mean Mount Pleasant and Pirates battling it out for 3rd. Not sure who Mount Pleasant is losing but I know the running back was just a Junior. Jacksonville has done well but can't seem to get momentum. Plus they lose QB I think. Would have never thought we would've been here 5 years ago!!

Jacksonville has another McCown on the way at QB, I cant remember if he was Midde school or freshman. Pine Tree has a stud defensive lineman coming that was a freshman last year. PT also has a very good QB and Running back on the way from last years freshman team. Nac will replace their QB with a Senior who according to a lot of people around Nac was better than last years starter. This kid was part of the group that as 7th, 8th and freshman was killing everyone. Nac has a very strong group coming from middle school, with a lot of size and some dynamic play makers(probably still a year away from helping varsity).

I am curious to see how spring game shakes out this year for Nac, last year the coaching staff had only been in place for a few weeks. 

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

Jacksonville has another McCown on the way at QB, I cant remember if he was Midde school or freshman. Pine Tree has a stud defensive lineman coming that was a freshman last year. PT also has a very good QB and Running back on the way from last years freshman team. Nac will replace their QB with a Senior who according to a lot of people around Nac was better than last years starter. This kid was part of the group that as 7th, 8th and freshman was killing everyone. Nac has a very strong group coming from middle school, with a lot of size and some dynamic play makers(probably still a year away from helping varsity).

I am curious to see how spring game shakes out this year for Nac, last year the coaching staff had only been in place for a few weeks. 

Nacwagon, did you like what you saw throughout the season with the coaching staff? Are you hopeful with another year and off-season things get corrected? 

1 hour ago, tomlandry said:

Nacwagon, did you like what you saw throughout the season with the coaching staff? Are you hopeful with another year and off-season things get corrected? 

Yes it was very encouraging!!! You are not going to change 100 years of losing overnight. Our penalty yardage was down and the undisciplined penalties all but went away. Our defense was actually one of the top statistical defenses in the district. Short fields and offensive turnovers killed us. We had no system in place all the way down to middle school and that is changing. We should see a jump this coming year with the returning players being in this system for entire year and a full spring. We were within one score entering the 4th qtr of every game except for the Lufkin game. The next step is for this program to learn how to win close games. We have a lot of talent all the way down to 7th grade, we just need someone to put it together and this staff is poised to do so. 

I like the current coaching staff, they have brought discipline to a program that has historically had very little. I said it all year last year, we are going to break out and it will be fun when we do. I don't know if it will be this coming year or the year after. We could start this next season off 0-3 and still be a better team. Our non-district schedule is a gauntlet of teams we have NEVER had success against. Kilgore, JT, LP

2020 Marshall Schedule 

Week 1 @ New Caney
Week 2 Longview
Week 3 @ Carthage
Week 4 BYE
Week 5 Pine Tree*
Week 6 @ Jacksonville*
Week 7 Texas High*
Week 8 @ Whitehouse*
Week 9 Mount Pleasant*
Week 10 @ Hallsville*
Week 11 Nacogdoches*

Marshall has started the last two seasons (0-3).   

It’s not out of the question for 2020.  New Caney, Longview, and Carthage were a combined (37-2) last season.  

It has to be one of the toughest non-district schedules in all of 5A.  Hope it prepares us for a tough district race.

Opening district Vs PT is huge. I think it sets the tone for the entire race for Marshall.  IMHO the Pirates have to be a top contender for the title. If  the Mavs win.... the THS game will likely be for the championship.  If PT wins.... their game Vs the Tigers will be for the title. 

Having PT, Texas High, and Nac all at home could be huge.  I believe those are the top three to stand in our way to a fourth consecutive district championship.

Not overlooking anyone though.

Winning at the Tomato Bowl is always a bigger challenge than it should be.  

And do we even need to talk about the shenanigans that take place in Whitehouse?

I truly have no idea what to expect from MP.

And I could be wrong.... but I expect Hallsville to be awful.

We have a ton coming back.  But we need a QB.

Preferably ONE for an entire season, which has only happened once since 2015 IIRC. 

But I think we have at least 8 starters back on both sides of the ball.  That’ll be huge. 

Can’t wait till spring ball.  Should be lots of excitement headed into the summer.  

like others.... I’ll wait till after Spring to be making any predictions  

• Like 1

2020 Nacogodches Dragons Schedule

Week 1-Kilgore-             Nac is 20-21-3 lifetime vs Kilgore they have been alternating wins the last few years.

Week 2-@Lufkin-            Nac is 23-72-6-not sure if Nac has won at Abe in the last 50 years.

Week 3-John Tyler-       Nac is 5-43-4-probably the worst record vs an oppontent of any team in the state of Texas-Even the 1992 Nac team couldn't beat JT 10-10 tie.

Week 4-Open-                  We won't lose this game!!!!!!!!!

Week 5-Whitehouse-     Nac is 6-12 against WH-the last 2 years WH has been able to slip by us costing us a playoff spot both years.

Week 6-@Pine Tree-        25-7 lifetime vs PT-our best record vs anyone in the distirct.

Week 7-@Mt Pleasant-    10-5 lifetime vs Mt P-

Week 8-Jacksonville-      33-33-4 lifetime against Jax-if something wild is going to happen, it will be against Jax. 12 OTs-over 150 pts scored in a game etc...

Week 9-@Hallsville-          6-8 lifetime vs Hallsville-played them for the first time in 2004-skipped 08-09, played every year since.

Week 10-Texas High-      11-23 all time vs TXH-They last beat the Tigers in 1993. Most recent match-up was in the 2006 playoffs. 

Week 11-@Marshall-        15-38-1 vs Marshall-last Nac win was in 2006, none of the other games in the last 10 meetings have been particularly close. 

I can't even begin to make any predictions until I know we are settled at the QB position.  All the D-1 WR's in the world doesn't mean anything if we can't get the ball to them.  I think we'll be OK at RB.  O-line was shaky at times last season.... hopefully that will have improved with the great offseason I've been hearing about.

I have no idea what New Caney has coming back from their (10-1) season....but since it's a LONG road trip for us to open the season....I'm sure we will be the underdogs in a hostile environment.  

Longview will be favored by 500 points.

Carthage will likely be favored again.... they've won a barnburner in 2018 and a blowout in 2019.... they have all the confidence in the series.  Hopefully the 2020 game will be more like 2018.  We were a mess when we met in 2019....but at least that was the game we finally found our QB.... and never lost again until Huntsville.

I'm hoping for the best.....but (0-3) isn't out of the question.  We've been (1-2), (0-3), and (0-3) the last three seasons and still came out as district champs..... so I guess those September lumps paid off in November.

Marshall has never won 4 district titles in a row.  5 titles out of 6 years is our best run.  

This will be a tough one to defend.  Especially with a rejuvenated Texas High squad moving down after shocking Lufkin last season in the playoffs.  PT is loaded to the teeth.  Will Nac improve?  Will WH reload...because they are losing just about everything offensively.  

Again.... can't wait to see what the Spring produces.  I'll have a better feel for things headed into 7 on 7.

---------

I'm hoping for a little more "good luck" in 2020.  Because 2019 was a gauntlet of troubles.

Lost a 3 year starter at QB after week 1
Death of a team member

And the unluckiest playoff draw I can ever recall. 

Huntsville was state ranked to start the season.....but lost their D-1 QB to injury early in the year.  Struggled through district play....barely made the playoffs.  D-1 QB returns to the team in the first round of the playoffs...makes a three deep playoff run.   

Huntsville was likely a district champion with their QB in there.  Marshall would have likely had Katy Paetow in the first round.  

Meh.  It was just par for the season last year.  We overcame a lot.....but we had a lot to overcome.  It was fun to see them keep fighting through all the adversity.  

But hopefully 2020 will be kinder..... and a few weeks longer than 2019.  

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

I can't even begin to make any predictions until I know we are settled at the QB position.  All the D-1 WR's in the world doesn't mean anything if we can't get the ball to them.  I think we'll be OK at RB.  O-line was shaky at times last season.... hopefully that will have improved with the great offseason I've been hearing about.

I have no idea what New Caney has coming back from their (10-1) season....but since it's a LONG road trip for us to open the season....I'm sure we will be the underdogs in a hostile environment.  

Longview will be favored by 500 points.

Carthage will likely be favored again.... they've won a barnburner in 2018 and a blowout in 2019.... they have all the confidence in the series.  Hopefully the 2020 game will be more like 2018.  We were a mess when we met in 2019....but at least that was the game we finally found our QB.... and never lost again until Huntsville.

I'm hoping for the best.....but (0-3) isn't out of the question.  We've been (1-2), (0-3), and (0-3) the last three seasons and still came out as district champs..... so I guess those September lumps paid off in November.

Marshall has never won 4 district titles in a row.  5 titles out of 6 years is our best run.  

This will be a tough one to defend.  Especially with a rejuvenated Texas High squad moving down after shocking Lufkin last season in the playoffs.  PT is loaded to the teeth.  Will Nac improve?  Will WH reload...because they are losing just about everything offensively.  

Again.... can't wait to see what the Spring produces.  I'll have a better feel for things headed into 7 on 7.

---------

I'm hoping for a little more "good luck" in 2020.  Because 2019 was a gauntlet of troubles.

Lost a 3 year starter at QB after week 1
Death of a team member

And the unluckiest playoff draw I can ever recall. 

Huntsville was state ranked to start the season.....but lost their D-1 QB to injury early in the year.  Struggled through district play....barely made the playoffs.  D-1 QB returns to the team in the first round of the playoffs...makes a three deep playoff run.   

Huntsville was likely a district champion with their QB in there.  Marshall would have likely had Katy Paetow in the first round.  

Meh.  It was just par for the season last year.  We overcame a lot.....but we had a lot to overcome.  It was fun to see them keep fighting through all the adversity.  

But hopefully 2020 will be kinder..... and a few weeks longer than 2019.  

Carthage will be solid on O.  Return 7 starters from the 16-0 squad in 2019, plus will get help from undefeated JV & Freshman teams.  However, D will be the challenge early on.  Only return 3 starters.  I could certainly see another 35-33 type game in 2020.

1 hour ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Carthage will be solid on O.  Return 7 starters from the 16-0 squad in 2019, plus will get help from undefeated JV & Freshman teams.  However, D will be the challenge early on.  Only return 3 starters.  I could certainly see another 35-33 type game in 2020.

If you're gonna beat Carthage....you better do it in September.  

Seems to be the mantra.

• Like 1