A Study of I Samuel

RETIREDFAN1

I Samuel 1

By: Jim Crews

I Samuel 1: 1 - 2

Elkanah was from the hill country of Ephraim. He had two wives. Peninnah had children, Hannah did not. 

I Samuel 1: 3 - 8

Elkanah went to Shiloh every year to sacrifice. The two sons of Eli, Phineas and Hophni, were priests of the Lord at Shiloh. They were the sons of Eli. On the day of sacrifice, Elkanah would give portions to Peninnah and her children. He would give a double portion to Hannah, because he loved her more, even though she was barren. Peninnah mocked and ridiculed Hannah because she was barren. Hannah wept, and would not eat. Elkanah asked her why she wept? Was he not worth more than ten sons to her? 

I Samuel 1: 9-11

After their meal, Hannah rose up and went to the Tabernacle. Eli was sitting at the doorpost. She made a vow to God, that if He blessed her with a son, that son would be given to the Lord, and no razor would touch his head. 

I Samuel 1: 12 - 18

Hannah was praying in her heart. Only her lips moved, and Eli thought she was drunk. He told her she should quit drinking. 

Hannah told Eli she wasn’t drunk. Instead, she was troubled in spirit and was pouring it all out before God. Eli blessed her. She left, and then ate. 

I Samuel 1: 19-20

They rose early the next morning, worshipped God, and returned to Ramah, where they lived. In due time Hannah conceived and bore a son. She named him Samuel, because she had asked for him from the Lord. 

I Samuel 1: 21 - 28

Hannah would not make the return trip to Shiloh until she had weaned Samuel. When she had weaned him, she took him along with a sacrifice to Shiloh. She followed the proper rituals and gave Samuel to the Lord there at Shiloh. He worshipped God there. 

I Samuel 2

I Samuel 2: 1 - 10

Hannah prayed to God. She praised God because of His salvation. She praised all of the wonderful things that God does for us. She praises Him for His righteous judgment which will come one day. 

I Samuel 2: 11

Elkanah and Hannah then went home to Ramah. Samuel ministered to God in the presence of Eli the priest. 

I Samuel 2: 12 - 17

The sons of Eli were worthless men and disobedient to God. They were perverting the sacrifices to God and taking more than the portion God had commanded. 

I Samuel 2: 18 - 20

Samuel ministered before God with a linen ephod. Hannah used to make a robe for him and take it to him each year when they went to Shiloh to sacrifice. Eli would then bless Hannah and Elkanah. 

I Samuel 2: 21 

God blessed Hannah, and she bore 3 more sons and 2 daughters. 

I Samuel 2: 22 - 25

Eli confronted his sons with the sins he had heard about them committing. They ignored him. 

I Samuel 2: 26

Samuel continued to grow physically and in favor with both God and other people. 

I Samuel 2: 27 - 36

A prophet came to Eli and proclaimed that God had rejected him and his sons as priests and leaders. They would be cut off and killed by the sword. His sons would die on the same day. This would be the sign that the prophet spoke the Word of God. God was going to raise up a new priest, one who would serve and obey Him. 

I Samuel 3

I Samuel 3: 1

Samuel was ministering to God under the watch and tutelage of Eli. In those days, God had not been speaking to Israel through prophets or visions. 

I Samuel 3: 2 - 3

Eli, who was going blind, was lying down. Samuel was lying down near the Ark of the Covenant. 

I Samuel 3: 4 - 5

God called to Samuel, who thought it was Eli, so he ran to see what he wanted. Eli told Samuel that he had not called him. 

I Samuel 3: 6 - 7

This happened once again. Samuel did not know God, and God’s Word had not yet been revealed to him. 

I Samuel 3: 8 - 9

When this happened the third time, Eli finally realized that it was God calling to Samuel. Eli told Samuel how to answer next time that it happened. 

I Samuel 3: 10-14

Samuel responds to God on the fourth time. God reveals to Samuel that He is about to fulfill all the things He said He would about Eli and his family. There was nothing that Eli could do to change His mind. 

I Samuel 3: 15 - 18

Samuel was afraid to tell Eli. Eli told him that he shouldn’t hide it from him, so Samuel told Eli everything God had said. Eli responded that God will do what seems good to Him. 

I Samuel 3: 19 - 21

Samuel grew. All of Israel knew that he was a prophet. God appeared again at Shiloh and revealed Himself to Samuel. 

I Samuel 4

I Samuel 4: 1 - 4

All of Israel listened to what Samuel had to say. Israel went to battle against the Philistines. They camped at Ebenezer. Israel was defeated by the Philistines, who killed about 4000 men. The elders, like many do today when facing adverse conditions, blamed God. They decided to bring the Ark of the Covenant to the battlefield. They brought it from Shiloh, along with Phineas and Hophni. So they decided to use this gift from God in a manner that God had not authorized it to be used. 

I Samuel 4: 5 - 9

When the Ark came into the camp, the Israelites raised a shout. The Philistines heard it and asked about it. They were told that the Ark had come into the Israelite camp. From their reaction, we can see that word of the power of the Ark of the Covenant had spread around the region. The Philistines were afraid and proclaimed that a god had come into the Israelite camp. They knew how God had delivered Israel from Israel. They were very afraid, but urged one another to fight like they had never fought before. 

I Samuel 4: 10 - 11

Since Israel had used the Ark in an unauthorized manner, God did not give them the victory. The Philistines carried the day. Thirty thousand Israelites were killed that day. The Ark was captured by the Philistines and Hophni and Phineas were killed. 

I Samuel 4: 12 - 18

A Benjaminite brought the news to Shiloh. Eli was sitting by the road, because he was very worried about the Ark. Eli heard the uproar when the man had told the people of Shiloh the news. Eli was 98 years old and frail. When he heard the news, he fell, broke his neck, and died. Eli had judged Israel for 40 years. 

I Samuel 4: 19 - 22

When Eli’s daughter-in-law, the wife of Phineas, heard the news she went into labor. She died in childbirth. Her son was named Ichabod. They were all crying about how the glory of God had left Israel because the Ark had been taken. Notice they have begun already to worship the object and not the Creator. 

I Samuel 5

I Samuel 5: 1 - 5

The Philistines brought the captured Ark to Ashdod. They set it up in the temple of Dagon, one of their idols. When they got up the next day, the statue they worshipped had fallen on its face before the Ark. They put the statue back up. The next day, the head and both hands were lying on the ground cut off, and the statue had once again fallen on its face before the Ark. This made an impression on the priests of Dagon, who at the time of the writing of I Samuel would still not walk on that ground. 

I Samuel 5: 6 - 12

God afflicted the people of Ashdod with tumors. They decided that the Ark had to go. They sent the Ark to Gath. Tumors broke out on the people of Gath. The people of Gath sent the Ark to Ekron. The people of Ekron knew what was going to happen and panicked. They decided that the Ark should be returned to Israel. While the Ark was in Ekron, those who were not killed in the initial panic were struck with tumors. 

I Samuel 6

I Samuel 6: 1 - 9

The Ark of the Covenant was in the land of the Philistines for seven months. They called their people together and asked their astrologers what should be done. This was an easy one that didn’t need a prophet to figure out. The diviners told them to send the Ark back to Israel. They also told them to return the Ark with a guilt offering. They sent five golden tumors and five golden mice, which is how God had punished them for having the Ark. The diviners told the rulers they should not harden their hearts against God like the Egyptians had, and end up just as dead. They set the Ark on a cart and sent it on its way. They would not guide the cart, but watched. If it went to Israel, they would know God had done all these things to them. If it strayed and wandered, they would know it was just a coincidence. 

I Samuel 6:10 - 16

They hooked 2 cows up to the cart and sent it on its way. The cows went straight back Beth-shemesh without wandering at all, so the Philistines knew this was from God. The people of Beth-shemesh were in their fields when the cart with the Ark arrived. They rejoiced when they saw the Ark. The cart stopped in the field of a man named Joshua. They offered the cows as a burnt offering. 

I Samuel 6: 17 - 18

The Philistines had sent 5 golden tumors and 5 golden mice to represent each of the Philistine cities and their leaders. The stone in the field where the sacrifice was made still existed at the time Samuel was written. 

I Samuel 6: 19 - 21

God struck some of the people of Beth-shemesh because they had looked upon the Ark. He struck 70 of them, and the people mourned. They sent messengers to Kiriath-jearim, telling them the Ark had been returned and requesting for them to come and get it. 

I Samuel 7

I Samuel 7: 1 - 2

The men of Kiriath-jearim took the Ark to the home of Abinadab. He was evidently a Levite, because they consecrated his son to take charge of the Ark. The Ark remained there for 20 years. The people lamented after the Lord. 

I Samuel 7: 3 - 4

Samuel told the people that if they would get rid of their idols, God would release them from the Philistines. They did this. 

I Samuel 7: 5 - 11

Samuel had them gather at Mizpah, and he prayed for them there. He confessed that Israel had sinned. He began to judge Israel on that day. When the Philistines heard that Israel was gathered at Mizpah, they went up against them. Israel was scared and told Samuel to keep praying for them. God fought for Israel that day and defeated the Philistines. 

I Samuel 7: 12 - 14

Samuel took a stone and set it up there. He called it Ebenezer. The Philistines were defeated. God was against them all the days of the life of Samuel. Israel regained all the cities they had lost. There was peace between Israel and the Amorites. 

I Samuel 7: 15-17

Samuel judged Israel until his death. He didn’t stay in one place and make the people come to him. Samuel went on a circuit through the land to judge the people at their home cities. He lived in Ramah. 

I Samuel 8

I Samuel 8: 1 - 3

When Samuel grew old, he made his sons judges over Israel. Joel and Abijah, his sons, were judges in Beersheba. They were corrupt and took bribes, like the sons of Eli. 

I Samuel 8: 4 - 9

The elders went to Samuel at Ramah. They told him he was getting old and his sons were corrupt. They wanted a king so they could be like all the nations around them. This displeased Samuel, but God had said it would happen. 

Deuteronomy 17: 14

Samuel prayed to God, and He told Samuel to listen to the people and choose a king. God told Samuel they had not rejected Samuel, but had instead rejected Him, who was their King. God told Samuel this was typical of these people, who He had saved from Egyptian slavery and brought to this land. God told Samuel to warn them about how their kings would treat them. 

There are some in the Lord’s Church today who want to be like the man-made groups around them. They want basketball courts and fellowship halls just like the denominations. This is as much a rejection of God as the Israelites wanting a king.  

I Samuel 8: 10 - 18

Samuel then told them how their kings would be. They would take their sons as soldiers and force them to fight their wars. They would take their daughters and force them to be cooks and bakers. They would tax them to give to their own men. They would take their servants and put them to work for them. Basically, if they chose a king, they would be the slaves of that king. When they cried out to God because of the oppression their kings would bring on them, God would not listen to them. They had brought all this on themselves by rejecting Him. 

I Samuel 8: 19 - 22

The people ignored Samuel’s warning and demanded a king, so that they could be like everyone else. God told Samuel to give them a king. Samuel ordered everyone to return to their homes. 

I Samuel 9

I Samuel 9: 1 - 2

Kish was a wealthy man of the tribe of Benjamin. He had a son named Saul. Saul was the most handsome of the Israelites. He was also taller than any of the people. 

I Samuel 9: 3 - 4

Kish’s donkeys were lost, so he sent Saul and a companion out to find them. They went far and wide, but could not find the donkeys. 

I Samuel 9: 5 - 10

When they got to Zuph, Saul told his companion they should turn around because Kish would soon begin to worry more about their well being than about the donkeys. His companion told Saul that there was a man of God in Zuph who could tell them where to find the donkeys. Saul asked what they would pay the man. His companion had a quarter of a shekel of silver he offered to pay. They went to the man of God. We are also told that in the days of Samuel, prophets were known as seers. 

I Samuel 9: 11 - 14

As they were going into Zuph, Saul and his companion met a group of young women and asked if the seer was in town. They were told that he was just ahead of them. They went toward Zuph and saw Samuel coming toward them. 

I Samuel 9: 15 - 21

The day before this happened, God had shown Samuel exactly what would occur and that he should be there to meet Saul. God told Samuel He had chosen Saul to be king of Israel. Saul met with Samuel, who told him that they had a meal planned for later in the day, where Samuel would tell Saul what was to be. He also told Saul that his donkeys had been found. Saul was very humble at this time. That would change. 

I Samuel 8: 22 - 24

Samuel took Saul and his companion to dinner then. There were about 30 others at the meal. The best seat and the best of the meal were given to Saul. Saul ate with Samuel that day. 

I Samuel 9: 25 - 26

Samuel provided Saul with a place to sleep that night. He woke him up the next morning and sent him on his way. 

I Samuel 9: 27

Samuel stopped them on the way to speak to Saul privately about the Word of God. 

I Samuel 10

I Samuel 10: 1 - 8

Samuel took a flask of oil and anointed Saul king of Israel in the name of God. Samuel told Saul his duty to the people of Israel. He told Saul that later that day he would find the donkeys he had been searching for. Later on, he would find three men who would provide him with some food. He would also meet a group of prophets and the Holy Spirit would come upon him causing him to prophesy as well. Saul was to wait in Gilgal for a week, until Samuel got there. 

I Samuel 10: 9 - 13

All of this was fulfilled. Saul prophesied with the prophets and a new saying about Saul being with the prophets came about. 

I Samuel 10: 14 - 16

When Saul returned to his uncle, he told about how he had not been able to find the donkeys at first. He then told how he inquired of Samuel, who told him where to find them. He did not go into the matter of being anointed king. 

I Samuel 10: 17 - 19

Samuel called the people together at Mizpah. He scolded them for having rejected God and wanting a king. He then told them to gather by their tribes in groups of thousands. 

I Samuel 10: 20 - 24

Samuel drew the tribe of Benjamin. From that tribe he drew clan of the Matrites. From them, he drew Saul. Saul couldn’t be found because he had hidden with the baggage. They found Saul and Samuel proclaimed him king. The people shouted “long live the king”. 

I Samuel 10: 25 - 27

Samuel told the people the rights and duties of a king, then wrote it in a book for them. He then sent the people to their homes. Saul also went home with some men who would become his allies. Other men showed a rebellious heart and spoke against Saul, but he ignored them for the time being. 

• 2 weeks later...

I Samuel 11

I Samuel 11: 1 - 4

The people of Jabesh-Gilead were attacked and besieged by the Ammonites. The people of the city asked for terms of surrender. They would work as servants for the Ammonites. The Ammonites would only agree if they would each gouge out their right eye, bringing disgrace on all of Israel. The people of the city asked for a week to decide, so that they could see if anyone would come fight to relieve them. Their messengers eventually reached Saul. 

I Samuel 11: 5 - 11

The Spirit of God rushed on Saul when he heard about Jabesh-Gilead, and he was angry. He had a yoke of oxen cut and sent through Israel saying that he would do this to whoever didn’t come to the aid of Jabesh-Gilead with him. He ended up with 330,000 men when they mustered. They totally defeated the Ammonites. 

I Samuel 11: 12 - 15

The people then wanted to put to death those who said Saul would not reign over them. Saul was merciful and wouldn’t allow this to happen. They then went to Gilgal and made Saul king with sacrifices to God. 

I Samuel 12

I Samuel 12: 1 - 5

Samuel gives his farewell speech to Israel. He tells them that he did as they wanted and anointed a king chosen for them by God. He tells them their king walks among them while he has become old and grey. He asks them to show him if he has ever violated their trust as a judge. If they could show him any violation of their trust, he would repay them. Samuel invoked the name of God as his witness, and the congregation agreed that he had been an honest judge. 

I Samuel 12: 6 - 18

Samuel then pleads with the people to stay away from idolatry and from worshipping the baals. He does this after reviewing with them their history since leaving Egypt. Samuel called upon God to send thunder and rain that very moment to show the Israelites they had been evil in asking for a king. God did this, and the people were afraid. 

I Samuel 12: 19 - 25

The people asked Samuel to pray for them for having asked for a king. Samuel told them not to be afraid, but to turn to God and serve Him. If they remained faithful to God, He would remain faithful to them. 

I Samuel 13

I Samuel 13: 1 - 4

After Saul had reigned for two years, he gathered Israel together and chose 3000 men. Two thousand were with Saul in Bethel and 1000 were with his son Jonathan in Gibeah. He sent the rest of the people home. Jonathan defeated the Philistine garrison at Geba and the news reached the Philistine leaders. Saul celebrated the victory and the people joined him at Gilgal. 

I Samuel 13: 5 - 7

The Philistines mustered 30,000 chariots, 6000 horsemen, and innumerable troops to come against Israel. They camped at Michmash. The people of Israel were frightened when they saw this huge army. 

I Samuel 13: 8 - 15

Saul waited for seven days, which is when Samuel said he would be there. Saul became impatient and offered sacrifice to God without authority, since he was not a Levite. As soon as the illegitimate sacrifice was offered, Samuel arrived. Saul greeted him, and Samuel asked what he had done. Saul blames the people and Samuel for his sin, instead of being penitent and confessing it. 

Samuel informed him that God would strip the kingdom from Saul and give it to someone else, because Saul had not faithfully executed his office as king. Samuel left, and Saul had only 600 men.  

I Samuel 13: 16 - 18

Three companies of raiders came out of the Philistine’s camp to harass Israel. 

I Samuel 13: 19 - 23

There were no blacksmiths in Israel. The Israelites went to the Philistines for metal work. The only spears and swords on the day of the battle belonged to Saul and Jonathan. The Philistines went on the move. 

I Samuel 14

I Samuel 14: 1 - 5

Jonathan and his armor carrier snuck to the Philistine garrison. He did not tell Saul he was going. Saul was camped at Gibeah with 600 men, including one of Eli’s descendants. There were rocky crags hiding Jonathan and his armor bearer. 

I Samuel 14: 6 - 15

Jonathan told the young man to go with him to the Philistine garrison to see whether God would give the Philistines to them. The young man said he would go. Jonathan’s plan was two-fold. If the men told Jonathan to wait, he would wait for them to approach. If the men told Jonathan to come to them, they would go to them, because this would be the sign that God had given the garrison to him. The Philistines told them to come to them, so Jonathan did. Jonathan and the armor bearer immediately killed 20 of the Philistines. There was panic and confusion in the garrison. 

I Samuel 14: 16 - 23

The watchmen in Saul’s camp saw all this confusion and reported it to Saul, who had roll called to see who was missing. When told that Jonathan and his armor bearer were missing, Saul asked for the Ark of the Covenant to be brought to him. They carried it with them everywhere in those days. 

While Saul was talking to the priest, the panic and confusion increased in the Philistine camp. Saul rallied his forces and they went into battle against the Philistines. The Philistines were fighting each other because they were so confused. When the Philistines retreated, all of Israel chased them. 

I Samuel 14: 24-30

Saul vowed that no one would eat until his enemy was destroyed that evening. None of the people had eaten all day. They came to a forest with honey dripping on the ground, but would not eat because they feared Saul’s curse from his oath. Jonathan did not know about the oath, so he ate some of the honey. This caused his eyes to grow bright. The men told him about Saul’s curse and Jonathan said Saul was basically a fool for having made it. Since the honey had brightened his eyes, how much more so would it have done for the rest of them had they been allowed to eat it. The defeat of the Philistines would not be total because of the rash vow made by Saul. 

I Samuel 14: 31 - 35

They defeated the Philistines that day, but were weak from lack of food, due to the foolishness of Saul. They pounced on the spoil, and ate the animals with their blood. When Saul was told of this sin, Saul corrected those who were sinning. He built his first altar to the Lord, so the people could properly slaughter the animals and not sin against God. 

I Samuel 14: 36 - 42

Saul wanted to go attack the Philistines that night, but the priests advised him to wait and see what God had to say about it. When he inquired of God, God did not answer. Saul then said that whoever had committed the sin that caused this would die, even if it were Jonathan. Saul separated the congregation from him and Jonathan to cast lots and see who was guilty. The lot fell on Saul and Jonathan, then on Jonathan. 

I Samuel 14: 43 - 46

Jonathan told Saul he had eaten of the honey. Saul was going to have him killed, but the people spoke up for him. They ransomed Jonathan from his sin, and he was allowed to live. They no longer pursued the Philistines at this time. 

I Samuel 14: 47 - 48

Saul led Israel against all of their enemies. He routed them in every battle. He struck the Amalekites down and plundered them. 

I Samuel 14: 49 - 51

Here we have Saul’s family and his military commander listed. Saul had 3 sons and 2 daughters. His commander was Abner the son of Ner. 

I Samuel 14: 52 - 53

Israel was at war with the Philistines all of the days of Saul’s reign. Saul made sure to draft any strong or valiant man to his army. 

I Samuel 15

I Samuel 15: 1 - 3

Samuel came to Saul and told him that since the Amalekites had done so much in opposition to Israel as they came out of Egypt, that they were to be wiped from the face of the planet. Every man, woman, child, and animal. 

I Samuel 15: 4 - 9

Saul mustered an army of 210,000 men to go to war against the Amalekites. Saul warned the Kenites to leave from Amalek, and they did. Saul totally defeated the Amalekites. However, he disobeyed God by sparing Agag the king, and the best of the livestock. Everything that was worthless was destroyed. So basically, they kept what they felt was good for them, and got rid of everything else. This was not what God had told them to do. 

I Samuel 15: 10 - 16

God spoke to Samuel. He told Samuel that he regretted making Saul king, because Saul was not obedient. Samuel was angry and cried to God all night. He rose the next morning and went to see Saul. He was told that Saul had set up a monument to himself at Carmel, then left for Gilgal. When Samuel found Saul, Saul came to him bragging about how he had done what God told him to do. Samuel then asked what were the animal noises he was hearing? 

Saul tried to blame the people for sparing the best of the livestock, even though he would have been the one to give the order to do so. Samuel stopped Saul and told him what God had said. 

I Samuel 15: 17-23

Samuel confronted Saul with his sin. Saul had not done what God told him to do, because he had changed the command to fit his own agenda. This same attitude is why denominations exist today. Saul then tried again to blame the people for having sinned, instead of taking the blame himself. Samuel told him that God delights more in being obeyed than in being sacrificed to. Rebellion and presumption are just as bad as divination and idolatry. Because he had not obeyed God to the letter, Saul was to be removed as king. 

I Samuel 15: 24 - 31

Saul then confessed his sin, but still tried to blame the people. He asked forgiveness. Samuel could offer none, and God wouldn’t. God rejected Saul as king. When Samuel was leaving, Saul grabbed him and tore his coat. Samuel told him that just as the coat had been torn, so God now tore the kingdom from Saul and given it to someone better than him. Saul finally repented, and Samuel returned with him to pray to God. 

This parallels the Kingdom of God being removed from the Jews because of their rebellion, and given to Christians. The Old Testament parallels the New Testament if we all look closely enough. 

I Samuel 15: 32 - 33

Samuel had Agag brought to him. Agag thought he might survive this incident. Samuel hacked Agag to pieces. 

I Samuel 15: 34 - 35

Samuel and Saul both went home. Samuel never saw Saul again before he died, but he did grieve over Saul. God regretted having made Saul king. 

I Samuel 16

I Samuel 16: 1 - 5

God asked Samuel how long he was going to spend grieving over Saul. He told Samuel to take a horn of oil and travel to the house of Jesse of Bethlehem. Samuel would find the king God had provided in the household of Jesse. Samuel complained to God that Saul would kill him if he found out. God told Samuel to take a heifer to sacrifice. He was to invite Jesse to the sacrifice and God would show him what to do. Samuel obeyed. The elders were scared that Samuel had come to Bethlehem to judge them, but he reassured them that he had come in peace. He consecrated Jesse and his sons and invited them to the feast. 

I Samuel 16: 6 - 13

Seven of Jesse’s sons passed before Samuel, but none were chosen. God told Samuel He didn’t go by outward appearance but by what is in the heart. Samuel asked if Jesse had another son. He was told that David, the youngest, was out keeping the sheep. Samuel had Jesse send for him. David was the choice of God, and Samuel anointed him king. He then returned to Ramah. 

I Samuel 16: 14 - 23

The Holy Spirit left Saul, and a harmful spirit tormented him. Saul’s servants convinced him to send for someone who could play the lyre with excellence to comfort him. This ended up being David. David entered Saul’s service. Saul loved David greatly and made him his armor bearer. Whenever the harmful spirit was on Saul, David eased him by playing the lyre. 

I Samuel 17

I Samuel 17: 1 - 11

The Philistines gathered their army in Socoh. Saul gathered his army in the Valley of Elah. Both armies stood on mountains with a valley between them. Goliath of Gath came out to challenge the Israelites. He was a giant, standing 9 feet tall. He was armored and ready to fight. He called for one on one combat to settle the matter. The Israelites were very afraid of Goliath. 

I Samuel 17: 12 - 16

Three of Jesse’s sons had joined Saul in the battle. David would travel back and forth from Bethlehem to bring his brothers supplies and then back to feed Jesse’s sheep. Goliath made his challenge for 40 days. 

I Samuel 17: 17 - 18

Jesse sent David back to the front lines with supplies for his brothers. 

I Samuel 17: 19 - 23

When David arrived, the armies were aligned against one another once again. Goliath came out once again and made his challenge. 

I Samuel 17: 24 - 27

A reward had been offered to any man who killed Goliath. So far, there had been no takers. David stood up and asked why they allowed this uncircumcised Philistine to speak in that way against the armies of the Living God?

I Samuel 17: 28 - 30

David’s older brother was angry. This didn’t slow David down. He turned away from him to others and asked the same thing. 

I Samuel 17: 31 - 37

Saul heard and sent for David. David volunteered to go fight Goliath. Saul said that David couldn’t because he was only a youth. David told about protecting his sheep from predators. He knew it was God who had protected him then, and he knew that it would be God who fought Goliath through him that day. David was not afraid because he KNEW God was on his side. When God is with us, no one can stand against us.

I Samuel 17: 38 - 40

Saul had David armored up. David refused, and took only a slingshot and some stones. 

I Samuel 17: 41 - 47

Goliath laughed when he saw David. David told the Philistines that God was his ally, and they didn’t stand a chance. 

I Samuel 17: 48 - 49

David struck Goliath in the forehead with a stone from his bag. Goliath was knocked down. 

I Samuel 17: 50 - 54

David then took Goliath’s own sword and killed him. He cut his head off. When the Philistines saw this, they ran back to their cities of Gath and Ekron. Israel broke off the chase there and returned to plunder the camp of the Philistines. David took the head of Goliath to Jerusalem. 

I Samuel 17: 55 - 58

Saul asked Abner to find out who David was. David told Saul that he was the son of Jesse. 

I Samuel 18

I Samuel 18: 1 - 5

Jonathan loved David as he loved himself. Jonathan swore friendship to David after Saul had taken him into his employ. David was successful in everything Saul sent him to do. 

I Samuel 18: 6 - 9

David’s success led to jealousy from Saul. Following one engagement with the Philistines, the women gave Saul credit for killing thousands, and David credit for killing ten-thousands. Saul was angry and eyed David from that moment. 

I Samuel 18: 10 - 11

The next day a harmful spirit was on Saul. David played the lyre for him as he always did, but it didn’t work. Saul threw a spear at David. David evaded this twice. 

I Samuel 18: 12 - 16

Saul was afraid of David because God was with him, but He had departed from Saul. Saul removed David from his quarters and placed him in charge of a part of the army. David again was successful in all that he did. Saul was in awe of him, because God was with David. All of the people loved David. 

I Samuel 18: 17-19

Saul offered David his oldest daughter, Mereb. He wanted David to fight against the Philistines. Saul thought they would kill David and he wouldn’t have to. David would not take Merab, because he thought his family and himself too lowly to be in-laws to the king. So Merab was given to another. 

I Samuel 18: 20 - 29

Saul’s daughter Michal actually loved David, and this pleased Saul. He thought to give her to David and maybe he would lose focus and the Philistines would kill him. Saul manipulated the situation in order to get David to marry Michal. Saul’s only price was for David to present him with 100 foreskins from the Philistines. This was in the hopes that the Philistines would kill David. David brought 200. Michal and David were married. Saul was even more afraid of David because he saw that God was with him. Saul and David were enemies from that point. 

I Samuel 18: 30

David continued to be successful in all that he did. 

• 2 weeks later...

I Samuel 19

I Samuel 19: 1 - 7

Saul told all of his officials and his son Jonathan that they should kill David. Jonathan was David’s close friend and told David. He had David hide while Jonathan talked to Saul on David’s behalf. Saul agreed that it would be a sin to kill David, who was innocent and had greatly aided the Israelites against the Philistines. 

I Samuel 19: 8 - 10

David once again defeated the Philistines. Saul was enraged with jealousy and tried to spear David. He missed, and David fled the scene. 

I Samuel 19: 11 - 17

Saul sent people to watch David’s house. Michal helped David to escape and set up a dummy on the bed to look like David. When Saul sent men the next morning, Michal told them David was sick in bed. Saul told them to bring the bed with David in it, so that he could kill him. When he saw that he had been deceived, Saul asked Michal why she had done this. Michal lied, telling Saul that David had threatened to kill her if she didn’t. 

I Samuel 19: 18 - 24

David went to stay with Samuel. He told Samuel all that had taken place. When Saul heard that David was with Samuel in Ramah, he sent men to kill David. When Saul’s men saw Samuel and the men with him prophesying, the Holy Spirit came upon them and they prophesied as well. After doing this three times,  Saul finally went to Ramah himself. He found Samuel and the same thing happened to him. He stripped and prophesied naked the entire day. The people asked was Saul also among the prophets. 

I Samuel 20

I Samuel 20: 1 - 11

David asked Jonathan what he had done to make Saul want to kill him. Jonathan told David that he would warn him about Saul’s intentions, since Saul told Jonathan everything he was planning. David argued that Saul knew Jonathan loved him and since that was the case, he may not tell Jonathan his plans about David. Jonathan hatched a plan to find out what Saul intended. 

I Samuel 20: 12 - 17

Jonathan then promised his allegiance and friendship to David. 

I Samuel 20: 18 - 22

Jonathan then told David how he would let him know about Saul’s intentions. It involved shooting three arrows and where Jonathan told his servant to go find them. If they were to the side, David was safe. If they were beyond David, he was to go away into hiding. 

I Samuel 20: 24 - 25

David hid in the field. Jonathan joined Saul and Abner for the meal. David was not there. 

I Samuel 20: 26 - 29

Saul didn’t say anything because he thought maybe David was unclean and could not join them. When it happened the second day, Saul asked where David was. Jonathan told Saul David had asked leave to return to Bethlehem for a family matter. 

I Samuel 20: 30 - 34

This angered Saul. He took his anger out on Jonathan, accusing him of choosing David over his own family. Saul ordered Jonathan to bring David to be executed. Jonathan refused to bow to Saul’s will, and Saul threw a spear at him. This clued Jonathan in to the fact that Saul wanted David dead. Jonathan left angrily. 

I Samuel 20: 35 - 42

Doing as planned, Jonathan shot the arrows past David, which was the sign that Saul sought David’s death. Jonathan sent his servant away and met with David. They wept and David left. 

I Samuel 21

I Samuel 21: 1 - 6

David went to Nob to Ahimelech the priest. Ahimelech was afraid because David had come alone. David lied and said that Saul had sent him on a secret mission. He asked Ahimelch for 5 loaves of bread and whatever other provisions he could spare. Ahimelech told David there was only the holy bread, but he couldn’t let them have it unless they had been kept from women for the days required under the Mosaic Law. David said that they had, so they received the bread.

I Samuel 21: 7

Doeg the Edomite, chief of Saul’s herdsmen was there in Nob at that time. 

I Samuel 21: 8 - 9

David asked for a weapon, lying and saying that he didn’t bring any since the king's business required him to get away fast. The priest told him the sword of Goliath was there, and David took it. 

I Samuel 21: 10 - 15

David fled to Achish, king of Gath. The Philistines there recognized David, so he acted like he was crazy. This removed their fear of him. 

I Samuel 22

I Samuel 22: 1-2

David escaped to the cave at Adullam. His brothers joined him there. Those who were in distress, downtrodden, in debt, or bitter in their soul gathered to him there, and he was their commander. 

I Samuel 22: 3 - 5

David went to Moab and asked the king to allow Jesse and his mother to live there until the situation corrected itself with Saul. They stayed in Moab while David was in the stronghold. The prophet Gad told David to leave the stronghold, so David left and went to the forest of Hereth. 

I Samuel 22: 6 - 10

Saul was sitting with his men one night at Gibeah. He began complaining about how none of them had told him that Jonathan had an alliance with David. He asked them if David would take care of them as well as he had. Doeg, the Edomite, told Saul he had seen David in Nob. David had met with the priests there and been given the sword of Goliath. 

I Samuel 22: 11 - 19

Saul summoned Ahimelech and the priests of Nob to him. All of them came to Saul. Saul asked why they conspired against him with David. The priests had no idea what Saul was talking about, because David had lied to them and told them that he was on a secret mission from Saul. Saul did not believe them, and told his servants to kill all the priests. The servants would not, so Doeg the Edomite did. He killed all 85 of them. Saul then had Nob totally wiped out. 

I Samuel 22: 20 - 23

Abiathar the priest escaped the massacre and fled to David. He told David what had happened. David offered Abiathar safety. 

I Samuel 23

I Samuel 23: 1 - 5

David was told that the Philistines were fighting against the city of Keilah and stealing their grain. God told David to attack the Philistines there and save Keilah. David’s men were afraid, but God reassured them once again. They defeated the Philistines at Keilah and took their livestock. This saved the city of Keilah. 

I Samuel 23: 6 - 14

Abiathar had fled to David in Keilah. He brought an ephod with him. Saul was told that David was in Keilah. Saul thought he was going to end David there, since David had gone into a city. David knew Saul was on the way, so he called Abiathar to bring him the ephod. David asked God if Saul was coming. God told him that Saul was indeed coming. God then told David that the men of Keilah would surrender David to Saul. David and his 600 men then left Keilah. They remained in the wilderness. Saul sought them out daily, but could not find them because God was on the side of David. 

I Samuel 23: 15 - 18

While Saul was pursuing David, Jonathan met with him. Jonathan told David not to fear. He said even Saul knew that David was to be king, and Jonathan wanted to serve him. 

I Samuel 23: 19 - 24

The Ziphites told Saul where to find David. They also agreed to turn David over to Saul. Saul told them to continue spying on David and get to know where he roamed at all times. David and his men were in the wilderness of Maon. 

I Samuel 23: 25 - 29

Saul pursued David here. They were on opposite sides of a mountain. David was hurrying to get away from Saul. As Saul was closing in on David, he received a message that the Philistines had attacked. Saul had to break off pursuit of David to go meet the Philistine threat. The rock was renamed the Rock of Escape. David left there and moved to Engedi.  

I Samuel 24

I Samuel 24: 1 - 7

Saul discovered that David was in the wilderness of Engedi. He took 3000 men with him to hunt down David. Saul went into a cave to relieve himself. David and his men were in the cave. David’s men wanted him to ambush and kill Saul. David cut off some of Saul’s robe instead. He felt guilty because Saul was the anointed king at that time. He would not allow his men to attack Saul. Saul left the cave. 

I Samuel 24: 8 - 15

David then went out after Saul. He bowed to Saul and asked why he listened to the men who told him that David was trying to kill him. David then showed Saul the piece of cloth he had cut from his robe. This proved that David did not want to kill Saul, because he could have. 

I Samuel 24: 16 - 22

Saul was astonished. He admitted that David had repaid Saul’s evil with good. Saul also admitted that he knew David would be king after him. He asked David not to kill his children. David agreed, so Saul left. 

I Samuel 25

I Samuel 25: 1a

Samuel died and Israel mourned. He was buried at his house in Ramah. 

I Samuel 25: 1b - 8

David went to Paran where there was a rich businessman named Nabal. His wife was named Abigail. The woman was a nice person and beautiful, but the man was brutish. David sent 10 men to meet with Nabal. They were to ask for peace from Nabal and supplies. 

I Samuel 25: 9 - 13

Nabal refused to aid David. David took 400 of his troops to confront Nabal. 

I Samuel 25: 14 - 17

One of the young men told Abigail that Nabal had dealt wrongly with David. David had done good for Nabal at one time and Nabal repayed him with scorn. He warned her that David was coming armed to seek retribution. 

I Samuel 25: 18 - 22

Abigail took the things David needed to him in the wilderness in the hopes that he would not attack their homestead. 

I Samuel 25: 23 - 31

Abigail gave the things to David and asked for forgiveness. She also asked him to remember her when God place him on the throne after Saul. 

I Samuel 25: 32 - 35

David received her gift and granted her request. 

I Samuel 25: 36 - 38

When Abigail got home, Nabal was drunk. When he woke up she told him what had happened and he died. 

I Samuel 25: 39 - 42

When David heard that Nabal was dead he praised God. He then took Abigail as his wife. 

I Samuel 25: 43-44

David took Ahinoam as his wife as well. Saul had given his other wife Michael to Palti.