Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums
Stoney

Cowboys Offseason Needs

How would you fix the Cowboys?  

15 members have voted

  1. 1. You can only keep 2 of these 3 players. Who are you keeping?

    • Dak Prescott
      13
    • Amari Cooper
      8
    • Byron Jones
      8
  2. 2. What side of the ball are you spending money on in Free Agency?

    • Offense
      0
    • Defense
      15
  3. 3. What position should Dallas draft in the 1st round of the 2020 Draft?

    • QB
      1
    • Wide Receiver
      1
    • TE
      0
    • DE
      0
    • DT
      3
    • CB
      4
    • Safety
      6


Recommended Posts

You be the GM and make the big decisions for this offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stoney’s take:

1. Franchise tag Dak. Work on getting a long term deal made. I’m paying Byron Jones to stay at corner. Kid isn’t a turnover creator but he’s does a pretty good job holding his assignment in check. I’m letting Amari Cooper walk. Dallas got their money’s worth out of the trade but now’s the time to move on. Dallas could be in good position to grab a first round WR. Dallas could grab another Michael Gallup on Day 2. Cooper’s wanting money that could be better spent at other positions, especially if you are gonna pay Dak more than the $33m that he was offered last year and turned down.

2. Defense. Lotta holes need to be filled on that side of the ball. The d-line is pretty much gone except for Tank Lawrence and Tyrone Crawford. If Dallas switches to the 3-4 then Dallas could use some linebacker depth. The secondary is average at best and could get worse if Byron Jones leaves like expected. Dallas has to upgrade if they want any shot at playoff success.

3. WR is a sneaky pick for me if Dallas decides to Transition Tag Amari Cooper and not sign him to a long term deal. Get his replacement in here so he can learn and replace him next year. Thats what’s I would do. What would Dallas do? They have to go defense. Just like in free agency, Dallas has got to get better and that means adding as much talent as possible. I’m not a fan so far of the edge rushers in this class. The interior has some interesting first round talent if it falls to 17. Cornerback and safety should be there for Dallas. Fulton, Henderson, Delpit, McKinney. Pick Byron Jones’ replacement or the huge upgrade over Jeff Heath. Either one will work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Amari will be asking that much.  I think he wants to be a Cowboy, and will accept around $15 million, and I'd say he's worth that at the current rate.  I think the secondary is our biggest need.  With the pass happy NFL we have today there should be more interceptions.  I'd like the Cowboys to bring in Dennis Thurman as the secondary coach and maybe Darren Woodson to teach them how to hit.  Dennis has NFL experience as a coach, and he helped develop some solid cornerbacks.  The problem I see with him is they really didn't like to tackle, and that's where I think Darren or even Cliff Harris should be hired as consultants.  I would franchise tag Dak, but he's threatened to sit if they do.  He's not worth what he wants.  I sort of wish the NFL had salary arbitration as MLB does, but I realize careers in the NFL are shorter than MLB, except for a few.  I've heard rumors that Tom Brady is on the radar if he doesn't sign, but he's done.  Who knows if the Patriots or Raiders will sign him.  I think that's just for football gossip.  https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/tom-brady-and-jerry-jones-teaming-cowboys-theyre-talking-about-it-dallas .  I would say it's fake news by NBC, but it's being reported by other sites as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

 I've heard rumors that Tom Brady is on the radar if he doesn't sign, but he's done.  Who knows if the Patriots or Raiders will sign him.  I think that's just for football gossip.  https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/tom-brady-and-jerry-jones-teaming-cowboys-theyre-talking-about-it-dallas .  I would say it's fake news by NBC, but it's being reported by other sites as well. 

If Dallas trades Dak and signs Tom Brady then I will become a Kansas City Chiefs fan. I heard Michael Irvin say that he had a conversation at the Super Bowl with someone with big Cowboys ties saying that there’s talk of it. That would end 36 going on 37 years of Cowboys fandom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dallas has to have help at Safety.  I can’t remember the last great safety Dallas had.  Either get one in free agency or the draft.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 7:21 PM, Stoney said:

If Dallas trades Dak and signs Tom Brady then I will become a Kansas City Chiefs fan. I heard Michael Irvin say that he had a conversation at the Super Bowl with someone with big Cowboys ties saying that there’s talk of it. That would end 36 going on 37 years of Cowboys fandom.

I just can’t see Dallas signing Brady.  Why would you tie up that kind of money on a player that is on the downhill?  Sure Brady gives you one year, but is Dallas good enough on the defensive side of the ball to take the gamble?  I just don’t see it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brady's gas tank is almost on empty ... his glory days are behind him .... if that's the direction any team is going in, it's a sign of desperation  ...  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Brady would sign for 12 to 15 mil, then Dallas has an extra 20 mil to sign 2 or 3 free agent position of needs........that would be a decision for the Jones’ to consider

But Brady for $20+ mil is a definite “heck no”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rabbs63 said:

Dallas has to have help at Safety.  I can’t remember the last great safety Dallas had.  Either get one in free agency or the draft.  

I'd say it was #31 Roy Williams who did play briefly with Darren Woodson.  Roy was an Pro Bowl Safety 5X, but once they took away his signature tackle, he wasn't himself anymore.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cotton84 said:

If Brady would sign for 12 to 15 mil, then Dallas has an extra 20 mil to sign 2 or 3 free agent position of needs........that would be a decision for the Jones’ to consider

But Brady for $20+ mil is a definite “heck no”

I don't see Brady signing for anything less than $30 million.  I also don't see him as a fit with anyone but the Patriots.  The Patriots have Jarrett Stidham who has thrown 4 passes with 2 completions for 14 yards and one interception.  Then they have Cody Kessler who has a little more experience, but nothing to speak about.  I think the Patriots want Brady to test the free agency waters to show he's not going to get more than maybe $25 million a year.  I think they'd sign him for $30 for a season or two.  

Let's pretend the Cowboys do sign Brady.  I think he's the G.O.A.T., but I don't want to see any other player wearing #12 again for Dallas.  I know the Cowboys don't retire jerseys, but that number is very sacred to me since he's my all time favorite player.  Roger was a great role model both on and off the field.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I don't see Brady signing for anything less than $30 million.  I also don't see him as a fit with anyone but the Patriots.  The Patriots have Jarrett Stidham who has thrown 4 passes with 2 completions for 14 yards and one interception.  Then they have Cody Kessler who has a little more experience, but nothing to speak about.  I think the Patriots want Brady to test the free agency waters to show he's not going to get more than maybe $25 million a year.  I think they'd sign him for $30 for a season or two.  

Let's pretend the Cowboys do sign Brady.  I think he's the G.O.A.T., but I don't want to see any other player wearing #12 again for Dallas.  I know the Cowboys don't retire jerseys, but that number is very sacred to me since he's my all time favorite player.  Roger was a great role model both on and off the field.  

I agree about the #12 thing ... it should be retired ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KirtFalcon said:

I agree about the #12 thing ... it should be retired ...

There are a lot more numbers that I would retire as well.  #88 has been the most overused and I still don't see how Drew Pearson isn't in the HOF.  They should have stopped the use of it after Michael.  No one has lived up to it since him.  https://insidethestar.com/88-michael-irvin-tops-drew-pearson-and-dez-bryant-as-best-to-wear-historic-cowboys-number/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t get the current Tom Brady love. He’s 42, going on 43 this next season. His completion percentage has gone down the last 4 seasons. His passing yards have gone down the last 3 seasons. His TD passes have gone down the last 3 seasons. His passing yards per attempt have gone down the last 3 seasons. His QBR has gone down the last 4 seasons. The guy is in decline. The teams going after Brady are going more for the publicity and ticket sales than performance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

I'd say it was #31 Roy Williams who did play briefly with Darren Woodson.  Roy was an Pro Bowl Safety 5X, but once they took away his signature tackle, he wasn't himself anymore.  

Roy coming down to make a tackle was awesome. Roy trying to cover wasn’t. Roy’s problem was he came along 10-20 years too late. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Rabbs63 said:

Dallas has to have help at Safety.  I can’t remember the last great safety Dallas had.  Either get one in free agency or the draft.  

There’s some names that could be of interest to Dallas. Damarious Randall or Jayron Kearse. That’s the typical solid, not big money free agents that Dallas looks for. Delpit. McKinney. Davis. Winfield. That’s your round 1 and 2 safeties in the draft. Any of them would be upgrades over Heath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 7:39 PM, Stoney said:

Roy coming down to make a tackle was awesome. Roy trying to cover wasn’t. Roy’s problem was he came along 10-20 years too late. 

He had the same problem as Bill Bates ... lack of footspeed .... Once teams started isolating backs on them out of the backfield, it really exposed their weakness ....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...