President Trump: ‘GET PETE ROSE IN THE HALL OF FAME’

RETIREDFAN1

Nobody played harder or with more passion for the game than Pete Rose.  The only way I wouldn't is if he ever bet against his teams as a manager or player.  It doesn't bother me if they bet on their own team.  Who wouldn't bet on themselves ?  One player that was banned for life should be in, and that's "Shoeless" Joe Jackson.  Look at his stats, and told me he ever threw a game or even an at bat.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mellon said:

He broke the cardinal rule in baseball. He may have been a great player, but he knew the consequences when he was placing those bets.

He placed those bets as a coach. And he bet on his own team to win. He's got my vote for Cooperstown

• Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

He placed those bets as a coach. And he bet on his own team to win. He's got my vote for Cooperstown

He made some as a player as well.  He's addicted to gambling, and it started at a young age when his dad would take him to the horse track.  I've read his book.  I have seen no evidence by other writers that he did bet against the Reds however the games that he didn't there was evidence to point that he was setting his team up to win the next game by keeping his relievers arms fresh.  What's strange is the author of that article loses his case, because the Reds were already down by a combined total of 28-0, before he pulled Gullickson.  Why Pete didn't bet against the Reds in those games is beyond me.  He knew not to bet on them, but Gullickson didn't have a great year and finished less than .500 as a pitcher with a 10-11 season with a 4.85 era.  The Reds in 1987 finished 6  games out of first behind the San Francisco Giants.   https://thegruelingtruth.com/baseball/pete-rose-bet-reds-let-show/

8 hours ago, mellon said:

He broke the cardinal rule in baseball. He may have been a great player, but he knew the consequences when he was placing those bets.

It's bad enough that he did what he did.  He also continued to lie about it for decades ... I say no way he gets in ....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...