What UIL rule(s) would you change if possible?

Eagleborn

Targeting would be my first one to change. Or the penalty for it. No one in anyone football league gets it right so I’d approach it differently. 

Would also crack down on transferring for athletic reasons. Happens all the time and things are rarely done about it. 

• Like 1

What would y'all think about the NCAA (and thus Texas and the UIL) implementing the  new XFL kickoff rules (especially how and where the opposing teams line up on the field? 

Would it help reducing injuries often caused by the high-speed hits (i.e. blindside blocks, blocks in the back, blocks below the knees, etc.)  thus making football "safer?"

Change the rules back the way it used to be on stopping the clock on out of bounds plays. The clock should be stopped on all out of bound plays and started again on the next snap .... This rule was changed years ago to shorten games and provide more time for commercials ... starting the clock after out of bound plays when it's made ready for play by the refs takes away a lot of time for actual football .... 

57 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Change the rules back the way it used to be on stopping the clock on out of bounds plays. The clock should be stopped on all out of bound plays and started again on the next snap .... This rule was changed years ago to shorten games and provide more time for commercials ... starting the clock after out of bound plays when it's made ready for play by the refs takes away a lot of time for actual football .... 

Besides state title games what others have commercials?

28 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Besides state title games what others have commercials?

My point exactly  ....  so there was no need to speed up the games at the high school level by running the clock on out of bound plays .... the quarters are already shorter than NCAA and NFL games ....  I don't think they should have done this at ANY level of football, much less at the high school level .... which doesn't have commercials because 99.9% of them aren't televised .... comprende? ....

Just now, KirtFalcon said:

My point exactly  ....  so there was no need to speed up the games at the high school level by running the clock on out of bound plays .... the quarters are already shorter than NCAA and NFL games ....  I don't think they should have done this at ANY level of football, much less at the high school level .... which doesn't have commercials because 99.9% of them aren't televised .... comprende? ....

Not really. 

22 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Not really. 

Are you even old enough to remember when  they changed this rule?

This "game shortening" rule probably costs each team a posession each game ...

Edited by KirtFalcon
  • LOL! 1

Targeting. There is no video replay at the high school level so it shouldn't be a rule without it. We had a kid disqualified from a game for it this year. 1. it was not targeting. 2. they disqualified the wrong kid anyways even if it was targeting. They disqualified the kid that had the ball carrier wrapped up around the legs, not the kid that cleaned up the tackle.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

rule never changed in high school for player out of bounds there is a uil rule exception to the ncaa rule

3 hours ago, CoachC44 said:

Targeting. There is no video replay at the high school level so it shouldn't be a rule without it. We had a kid disqualified from a game for it this year. 1. it was not targeting. 2. they disqualified the wrong kid anyways even if it was targeting. They disqualified the kid that had the ball carrier wrapped up around the legs, not the kid that cleaned up the tackle.  

high school has two different levels of targeting. 1. no DQ accidental helmet contact 2. DQ for a flagrant hit, or 2 accidentals

29 minutes ago, txk85 said:

rule never changed in high school for player out of bounds there is a uil rule exception to the ncaa rule

I don't remember what year it changed, but the clock used to stop when a player went out of bounds, clock didn't start again until the next snap ... just like an incomplete pass .... tru storie  .... it was like that from the 50s-60s probably until sometime in the 90s ...

Sort of like the "ground can't cause a fumble" .... back when I played, you better have the ball at the end of the play, because they never used to make those rulings  .... don't  know when they came up with that rule either ....

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama