What UIL rule(s) would you change if possible?

Eagleborn

On 2/12/2020 at 2:48 PM, topher805 said:

Allow non-district employees to coach 

This isn't Washington state or the like...athletics are treated as important here in Texas. That slippery slope would cost coaches jobs...because poorer districts would decide hey we can hire Joe Schmo to coach for $2,000 and his brothers Larry, Darrell, and Daryl for $500 each to be assistants. You'd find local yokels willing to come out of the stands to coach.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 11:05 AM, Slickarick said:

so just change it to 1-10,11,12 A instead of the divisions..guess it would be easier to understand??

I think we're handing out too many state champions for football personally.....would like to see a happy medium between what we give for football and what we give for other sports

34 minutes ago, chubbychecker said:

I think we're handing out too many state champions for football personally.....would like to see a happy medium between what we give for football and what we give for other sports

I can see that argument but also see if your at the bottom of 2A to the top that's  double 100 more kids not too bad. 3A is 284 more kids that could lead to a lot of depth issues with fielding 11. 4A is more than double top to bottom 714 kids that's huge gap for talent and numbers. 5A is 989 not quite double but close. There may be "too many" but its the best we got and I love football. Football is unique as to the number required to play and be successful on both sides. Just a different animal then basketball and volleyball. Personally, I think baseball/softball should be split. But that's just my opinion.  

4 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

This isn't Washington state or the like...athletics are treated as important here in Texas. That slippery slope would cost coaches jobs...because poorer districts would decide hey we can hire Joe Schmo to coach for $2,000 and his brothers Larry, Darrell, and Daryl for $500 each to be assistants. You'd find local yokels willing to come out of the stands to coach.

I was saying it more as a joke in regards to the news on Duncanville that came out that morning. 

I do agree it is a slippery slope. I have a friend that was student teaching, but for whatever reason took on a full time role in the district as a para instead of finishing his degree. Since he was a para, he lost his spot on the baseball coaching staff. 

13 hours ago, topher805 said:

I was saying it more as a joke in regards to the news on Duncanville that came out that morning. 

I do agree it is a slippery slope. I have a friend that was student teaching, but for whatever reason took on a full time role in the district as a para instead of finishing his degree. Since he was a para, he lost his spot on the baseball coaching staff. 

that was what happened to me, then I rolled into a college job that next year. I ended up twisting my degree to just regular Kinesiology because I had the hours to graduate right then. 15 years later, when I went back to do HS...it was chaos to go thru a certification program while coaching.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

that was what happened to me, then I rolled into a college job that next year. I ended up twisting my degree to just regular Kinesiology because I had the hours to graduate right then. 15 years later, when I went back to do HS...it was chaos to go thru a certification program while coaching.

I was a Pre-Med major and went to a year of Med-School. Some family got sick and I went into teaching and coaching to make a little money to help. Went through alt cert as well. But I fell in love and Haven't looked back. Lets say 15 years ago. 

22 minutes ago, BoHogg said:

Snapshot day. I wouldn’t count the senior class going out but the freshman class(8th graders) coming in. 
Or maybe I’m missing the reason for doing it the present way. 

I agree, seem to be common sense ....

1 hour ago, BoHogg said:

Snapshot day. I wouldn’t count the senior class going out but the freshman class(8th graders) coming in. 
Or maybe I’m missing the reason for doing it the present way. 

Maybe for high schools that get 8th graders from certain middle schools that  are zoned or ones that can choose one or the other and open enrollment type situations. Just thoughts. But I Agree with you 100% those seniors can't play anything the next year so why count them. 

Dumbest rule in any level of football is the fumble through the end zone rule.. You fumble anywhere else on the field and it goes out of bounds and nobody recovers it stays with the offense.. In endzone and nobody recovers they give it to the defense on the 20 --makes no sense

On 2/18/2020 at 11:05 AM, Slickarick said:

so just change it to 1-10,11,12 A instead of the divisions..guess it would be easier to understand??

It’s not difficult to understand now. The ones that don’t understand it are the ones who don’t care enough to look closely. 

On 2/12/2020 at 7:24 PM, 903sweetshot said:

I think a shot clock would be wise. These boys have to learn how to score on good ball movement and clock management at some point

Is there a national epidemic of players getting to the college level and not being able to do these things? 

9 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

My friend has an opportunity to be a GA at Maryland now. Trying to get him to take it...

Reduce the number of teams that make the playoffs. You don't need 4 teams from every district represented. Then either have 1 Division per classification, or have the two division winners play for 1 true champion. It's never made sense to me to have 2 6A champs, 2 5A champs, etc. Taking 3 teams from each district will allow you to do this without adding another game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

Reduce the number of teams that make the playoffs. You don't need 4 teams from every district represented. Then either have 1 Division per classification, or have the two division winners play for 1 true champion. It's never made sense to me to have 2 6A champs, 2 5A champs, etc. Taking 3 teams from each district will allow you to do this without adding another game. 

Four or five team districts should only have two teams make the playoffs .... and that's probably one too many ....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

You know that isn’t going to happen. Playoffs are a cash cow for the UIL. 

6 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

No doubt it's watered down.

But we've seen before where one district sweeps another plus the cash cow it is for the UIL.

22 hours ago, txk85 said:

soon it will be everyone makes the playoffs.

Honestly makes zero sense to reduce the number of teams that make the playoffs.

Can't go back to how things were back in the day because Texas landscape has changed so much. So many high schools now. Not to mention the playoffs always takes care of itself. If the 3-7 team shouldn't be in the playoffs, then they'll lose. Simple.

But there's always a chance that a Texas High could beat a Lufkin too. First round upsets happen all the time which makes the game that much more exciting.

Not to mention the overall flaw in one team making the playoffs is good teams in tough districts suffer.

Any system were Longview or Highland Park misses playoffs but an El Paso school makes it is beyond flawed.

• Like 1

The whole argument of too many teams in the playoffs boggles my mind.

Undeserving teams are gone after WEEK 1 in most cases.  You're complaining about an extra week of a game most say they love.

Like the above post said.... the playoffs take care of it.  Losing teams will be gone in quick order.

And I absolutely HATE the argument of "how it use to be".

I'd like to see how many football schools there were in Texas in 1980.  Compare it to the 1200+ (or is it 1300 now?) of today.  It only makes sense that the brackets would grow with the landscape.

But complaining about too much football??  That's like complaining about too much ice cream.... too much pizza... too much sex.....

Makes no sense to me.

• Like 2