Paris North Lamar

texas2019

This sounds like a classic case of NLISD wants Emeyabbi gone and they are going to try to negotiate some sort of buyout...and putting him on leave is just in essence getting him out of the building so they can try to move forward....but if I'm Emeyabbi and I did nothing wrong...I want every dollar of my contract owed to me

• Like 1

Why would they. They both do better smaller.  They would not compete well together in the larger classifications. IMO. NL is not the only school that has broke from Paris ISD. Chism and PL also draw kids from Paris. All however have country roots

None of the other Lamar County school districts were formed by "breaking away" from Paris ISD, which originated as a City of Paris school system back in 1884.  The other districts have resulted from consolidation of smaller county schools plus PISD's decision long ago not to expand its base into serving those areas by pursuing annexation.

We focus on the athletic side of school systems here on this forum, and I understand the political implications of "smaller is better" where school government is concerned.  But the big disadvantage to having multiple independent districts in such a small area (overall population of Lamar County is around 50,000), is the inability to offer a variety of solid educational career tracks that are now mandated by the state of Texas.  Education has advanced far past the 3 R's plus ag, homemaking, and woodshop.  I wish there were more cooperation among the various schools towards that goal, but that seems unlikely.

But, back to the original question of this post: Will NL ever be competitive again in football?  I don't know, but I do suspect it will take time.  Passing the new bond would be a big first step.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2020 at 12:00 PM, Parisian said:

Maybe this map will help those not familiar with Lamar County.  Geographically, very little of NL's district resides within Paris city limits (basically, the red circle which denotes Loop 286).  A half-century ago, Paris ISD had the opportunity to annex NL but chose not to take on the enormous busing obligations that much territory would require.  As a result, Paris ISD is severely land-locked and has endured many years of financial strain.  While the past decade or so has been kind in matters of proportional state funding, the political winds can change in a instant.

the map shows why it will tough to pass a bond..those in the countryside  whose kids no longer attend schools (farms & ranches) will not vote for an increase in their property taxes ...I assume the powderly campus is still being used?...any chance of NL dropping to AAA if they continue to bleed enrollment?

1 hour ago, Bock said:

the map shows why it will tough to pass a bond..those in the countryside  whose kids no longer attend schools (farms & ranches) will not vote for an increase in their property taxes ...I assume the powderly campus is still being used?...any chance of NL dropping to AAA if they continue to bleed enrollment?

They just dropped to 4AD2. They turned in 741. The 3A cutoff was 514 I believe.  They would have a ways to go. But it could happen in several years I guess 

19 minutes ago, Brasstacks72 said:

They tried to go to Slot T this year, and well that didn't work out so good. 

1st year is never great unless you have ridiculous Athletes. The next year is when you see it. Have to get out of the 100/200/300 series first. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...