The Student Debt You Willingly Took On Is Not My Problem To Solve

RETIREDFAN1

34 minutes ago, AKA said:

The wife and I both managed to work, go to class, have kids, and finish school with minimal debt. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't impossible either. 

Uncle Sam paid for most of my college while I was in the AF ... my son's had scholarships and also worked while they were in school ... you can do it if you want it bad enough .... 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Uncle Sam paid for most of my college while I was in the AF ... my son's had scholarships and also worked while they were in school ... you can do it if you want it bad enough .... 

My wife is 6 months away from having her bachelors degree in education. She has done it while raising a family, putting up with me, and working a full time job. Our daughter is a college freshman. I don’t want the government paying for their education. I want the government out of education. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

My wife is 6 months away from having her bachelors degree in education. She has done it while raising a family, putting up with me, and working a full time job. Our daughter is a college freshman. I don’t want the government paying for their education. I want the government out of education. 

That's a nice accomplishment for your wife congrats to her and your fam on the soon to be bachelor graduate....

What about the poor families who struggle to make it check to check while taking care of all their needs, they have youngins who want to get into college but cant afford it? I'm all for helping those in needs and the pearly gates will be waiting wide open for me when my father returns to pick up his ppl....

2 hours ago, JETT said:

That's a nice accomplishment for your wife congrats to her and your fam on the soon to be bachelor graduate....

What about the poor families who struggle to make it check to check while taking care of all their needs, they have youngins who want to get into college but cant afford it? I'm all for helping those in needs and the pearly gates will be waiting wide open for me when my father returns to pick up his ppl....

We are one of those families. We are making a way. Yes, my wife and my daughter will both have some student loan debt when they get done, but here’s the cool part: they started college with a plan to go into a field that will basically guarantee them a job. The whole “cancel student loan debt movement is essentially saying “We’re gonna take money from people who payed for their own education, and from people who didn’t go to college at all, and use it to pay for college for a group of people who are too lazy to put themselves through college.”  I don’t want to hear about the poor and disadvantaged. There are tons of options. I just met a young man who spent four years in the U.S. Marines and is using the GI Bill to pay for college. I know hundreds of people who put themselves through college waiting tables. This whole movement is predicated on the entitlement mentality that is prevalent among many of today’s young people. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JETT said:

But you think it's ok for taxpayers to pay for other expensive things that we dont benefit correct?

I think government spending is out of control, and I said that 15 years ago when we had a GOP controlled Congress and a GOP POTUS. You’re gonna have a hard time getting any credibility as a fiscal conservative when you support candidates who want to spend trillions more than the government takes in. If you are, in fact, a fiscal conservative, you should appreciate President Trump’s budget, which shrinks the deficit by billions over the next ten years. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

We are one of those families. We are making a way. Yes, my wife and my daughter will both have some student loan debt when they get done, but here’s the cool part: they started college with a plan to go into a field that will basically guarantee them a job. The whole “cancel student loan debt movement is essentially saying “We’re gonna take money from people who payed for their own education, and from people who didn’t go to college at all, and use it to pay for college for a group of people who are too lazy to put themselves through college.”  I don’t want to hear about the poor and disadvantaged. There are tons of options. I just met a young man who spent four years in the U.S. Marines and is using the GI Bill to pay for college. I know hundreds of people who put themselves through college waiting tables. This whole movement is predicated on the entitlement mentality that is prevalent among many of today’s young people. 

So much this.

I was a philosophy/religion double-major. My plan was to teach both subjects collegiately. My wife was a Botanical Science/Biology major. Her plan was to be a professor and researcher for agribusiness and horticulture. We had decent leads and inroads into careers while we were still in college. Granted, I eventually began a torrid love affair with journalism that proved to be my undoing, but, again, we both worked during school to keep our debt to a minimum, and were able to completely resolve them within a year or two.

Again, it can be done. My wife and I both came from poor, lower-middle class families. We were both the first generation to go to college. We didn't really understand the mess we were getting in. Sure, we made a few mistakes along the way, but we never treated it like a free ride, and I went in (for student loans) knowing I was borrowing money I would have to pay back

There's a flawed argument here that asserts: 1.) everyone must go to regular college, 2.) you can major in whatever frivolous field you want (without pragmatic consequences), 3.) college is a profligate time when you can goof off and "find yourself" for however long it takes.

As a result, we are in the mess we are in. Stupid kids made stupid decisions (on advice from stupid adults), tried to freeload their way through college, and now are stuck with egregious debt and worthless degrees that not now or have ever been profitable careers. 

I guarantee you there aren't very many engineering, information technology, nursing, or accounting majors who are hurting for work right now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1