New NFL Playoff structure

4 hours ago, Stoney said:

7 teams? Still not enough to get my Cowboys in the playoffs.

Maybe I'm just optimistic about the new hire of Mike McCarthy and the reconstruction of the coaching staff, but I think "my Cowboys" will be the team to beat next season. But that's just me.

• Like 1

I don't like it.  I think we're fine just the way it is.  I realize they had to add a Wild Card team in 1970 when the NFL/AFL merged.  Then they expanded it again to have two wild card teams in 1979, but they played against each other to face the top seed.  They expanded it to three in 1990 with the top two teams getting the bye week.  That's where it should stop.  As Valhalla stated a team with a losing record could make the playoffs, and I don't like that.  I also don't want to see them go to a 17 game season.  That dilutes the stats.  I didn't mind going from a 12 game to 14 game season, but in a way I din't like the 16 game season.  It waters down the stats for single year stat records.  Adding one more game will shatter more single season records for passing, and more 2000 yard rushers for a season.  7 players have obtained that record, and only O.J. Simpson accomplished it in 14 games.  No running back has ever rushed for over 2000 yards twice, but I think it would happen in the future.  We'll see more 5000 yard passing seasons regardless.  8 quarterbacks have accomplished that feat, and Drew Brees is the only one to do it multiple times with 5.  I'm still amazed that no receiver has ever had 2000+ receiving yards yet.  Calvin "Megatron" Johnson came the closest, not Jerry Rice with 1964 yards receiving.  Julio Jones is in second place.  Those records would fall if it's implemented. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 4:54 PM, DaveTV1 said:

I don't like it.  I think we're fine just the way it is.  I realize they had to add a Wild Card team in 1970 when the NFL/AFL merged.  Then they expanded it again to have two wild card teams in 1979, but they played against each other to face the top seed.  They expanded it to three in 1990 with the top two teams getting the bye week.  That's where it should stop.  As Valhalla stated a team with a losing record could make the playoffs, and I don't like that.  I also don't want to see them go to a 17 game season.  That dilutes the stats.  I didn't mind going from a 12 game to 14 game season, but in a way I din't like the 16 game season.  It waters down the stats for single year stat records.  Adding one more game will shatter more single season records for passing, and more 2000 yard rushers for a season.  7 players have obtained that record, and only O.J. Simpson accomplished it in 14 games.  No running back has ever rushed for over 2000 yards twice, but I think it would happen in the future.  We'll see more 5000 yard passing seasons regardless.  8 quarterbacks have accomplished that feat, and Drew Brees is the only one to do it multiple times with 5.  I'm still amazed that no receiver has ever had 2000+ receiving yards yet.  Calvin "Megatron" Johnson came the closest, not Jerry Rice with 1964 yards receiving.  Julio Jones is in second place.  Those records would fall if it's implemented. 

"Participation trophy" culture. Let's be honest - Just like UIL expanding the state playoffs, just a money grab. 

21 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

"Participation trophy" culture. Let's be honest - Just like UIL expanding the state playoffs, just a money grab. 

The only entity that I want an expanded playoff for is the NCAA Football National Championship Playoffs.  It's always made sense to me to expand it to include the top 25 plus all Conference Champions  and get rid of the spare bowl match ups we have to endure.  The current format allows teams with a losing record or .500 record to make a bowl appearance.  Even with a 32 team playoff in the NCAA there wouldn't be a team with less than 7 and possibly 8 wins in the playoffs.  With the UIL there's not a reason that the third place team in a district should be in the playoffs, and especially not teams with losing records. It's the same with the NFL.  The current system is flawed with two wild cards.  While there have only been four 7-9 wild cards in the history of the NFL it shouldn't be that way.  I'm not going to go into the NBA or NHL which also include losing teams in their playoff system, because I only watch if my team is in the playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, FridayNightsLightsForever said:

Too many for my taste . I would play only two preseason games as well. 10 wins should be the basement imo . I would also get rid of the home playoff game just because you won the Division.

I agree, there shouldn't be more than two preseason games  ....

• Like 1

I see it being ratified from what I've been hearing.  I know some of the top tiered salary players are against it, but would it really hurt them ?  I don't think so.  Most of the teams that have already secured their playoff spots sit players for the last game of the season to rest them.  Some have done it for two games in the past.  If I were a player what I would look at is an increase in injuries with a 17 game season.  I have never seen the NFL retract games after expanding seasons.  The only time it has been done were during the strike years.  As KirtFalcon pointed out, I don't think there is a need for more than two preseason games.  They already scrimmage other teams during training camps.  I've been to the Oilers training camp back when it was at SFA during the 1977 preseason, and at the Cowboys Training Camp at St. Edwards University in 1993.  They are actually boring to watch, and the main reason to go is for easy autographs.  The only thing I like about expansion is an earlier season start.  I remember when the regular season used to start on  Labor Day weekend.  That's the best time to start it in my opinion.  Many people are off for Labor Day, and it gives you something to look forward to.  They did that from 1979-1981, 1983-1986, 1988, 1990-1998, 2000-2003, 2006-2008, and then they started the season the week after Labor Day.  I began checking dates starting in 1977, because I didn't want to go through every season for 100 years.  It wouldn't bother me if the regular season started in August.  

This is how my sports years usually go.  I'm into football from start to finish.  I'm not a big NBA fan anymore, because my team hasn't done much in the past 20 years.  I'll watch top tier NCAA basketball teams play from the Super Bowl until March Madness.  I'll watch those games.  Then Baseball season opens in April.  I'm excited until June, and then it gets into a daily grind.  I'll check scores, but I won't watch many games.  So I'm bored again until football starts.  Then I'll pick back up with baseball for the last week of the season and the playoffs.  I'm glued during football season both NCAA and the NFL.  I'm already for the Draft, but that's not until the latter part of April.  I remember when it used to be in February, but there wasn't a combine back then.  I don't watch the combine.  

• 1 month later...

Cowboys Potential 2021 Draft Picks
1st Round
2nd Round
3rd Round
3.99 (Byron Jones comp)
4th Round
4.137 (Robert Quinn comp)
5.177 (Randall Cobb comp)
6th Round or 7th Round (whichever is left from Bennett trade)
6.219 (Jeff Heath comp)

Teams can now sign free agents without worrying about losing comp picks. Keep an eye on Everson Griffen. Veteran DE who could be a cheap addition to a edge group of Tank Lawrence, Dorance Armstrong, Tyrone Crawford and rookie Bradlee Anae. Add potential reinstatements, Aldon Smith and Randy Gregory, to that group and that could be a salty rush group.