UPDATE: Richard Strickland hired at Paul Pewitt

dillonpanthers

6 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

2 Things:

1.  Justin Gibson not leaving PG

2.  New Supt has no idea about football and should probably seek advice from RK or just let him run it!

I wouldn’t say the new Sup is clueless and i also think she wouldn’t interfere with the AD/HC decision to make the best choices for the team, even if its dropping their historic offense for another.  

1 minute ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

73? That wasn’t the counter. We can’t match what Mexia gave. He’s worth his weight in gold to me but the tax base isn’t there. If you’ve been through here you’d have known that. Yeah 40 is to damn old to wear your hat backwards. Your opinion and your magazine’s opinion isn’t relevant either. Picking us 4th? Real damn good experts. Btw Triston told me you was but hurt thinking you didn’t get the scoop. My little NB gifs throw you off? 

Clearly the money comment struck a nerve....73k is what Coach Abron made last year...I am well aware of the money situation....of course Pewitt can't match what Mexia made..the point was to increase the odds of attracting a quality candidate Pewitt needs to pay more..The other stuff you are rambling about is silly and not even worth my energy...I have a beach in Jamaica to enjoy...

• Like 2
  • Stinks 2

1 minute ago, MattStepp said:

Clearly the money comment struck a nerve....73k is what Coach Abron made last year...I am well aware of the money situation....of course Pewitt can't match what Mexia made..the point was to increase the odds of attracting a quality candidate Pewitt needs to pay more..The other stuff you are rambling about is silly and not even worth my energy...I have a beach in Jamaica to enjoy...

We offered as much as we could. You want us to take money away from teachers? Football is great. Trust me I live and breath Pewitt football, but there is only so much to go around 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

2 Things:

1.  Justin Gibson not leaving PG

2.  New Supt has no idea about football and should probably seek advice from RK or just let him run it!

New Superintendent had nothing to do with this. Coach Abron will tell you this himself. 

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

1) Yes I've been through Omaha/Naples and I know 73k for an AD isn't going to cut it...

2) 40

3) When you sign my paychecks you can tell me how to dress, until then your opinion is literally irrelevant WOOO! 

Unfortunately, smart people like you do not understand that it is HS football fans like us that do sign your pay checks. Need to have a little thicker skin there. I just cancelled my Dave Campbell sub. of a LOOOOOOOONG time.  I may just be one, but you won't get another .0000000000000000000000000000000000001 from me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Stinks 2

1 hour ago, soldier1 said:

I wouldn’t say the new Sup is clueless and i also think she wouldn’t interfere with the AD/HC decision to make the best choices for the team, even if its dropping their historic offense for another.  

They tried moving from their "antiquated" system for three years under Gentry, huge mistake. One of the best movies Abron made was allowing Kumrow to bring the slot-t back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MattStepp said:

1) Yes I've been through Omaha/Naples and I know 73k for an AD isn't going to cut it...

2) 40

3) When you sign my paychecks you can tell me how to dress, until then your opinion is literally irrelevant WOOO! 

We take up parts of 3 counties and are damn proud of our school and our community. We did all we could to keep Coach. We just dont have the revenue to pay big money for coaches.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OPC said:

We offered as much as we could. You want us to take money away from teachers? Football is great. Trust me I live and breath Pewitt football, but there is only so much to go around 

Some schools lay off teachers to afford coaches. 

9 hours ago, Cowboyz4life said:

Unfortunately, smart people like you do not understand that it is HS football fans like us that do sign your pay checks. Need to have a little thicker skin there. I just cancelled my Dave Campbell sub. of a LOOOOOOOONG time.  I may just be one, but you won't get another .0000000000000000000000000000000000001 from me.

I have bought the summer big edition off the rack for nearly 40 years.  I have bought my last one. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EastTxFinest said:

I still wear my hat backwards from time to time. I'm only 39 tho so I'm good till September. Right?

This isn't the 1960's.  It's acceptable to wear a hat backward at any age.  Talk pay, talk facilities, talk anything you want, this was a no brainer move for Coach A.  Congratulations to him.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

They better not wear their hat backwards in Mexia at school events if they play for him. He’s a man of discipline. How you carry yourself on and off the court/field is extremely important to him. I agree. It’s a no brainer. He will be in that 5A/6A before he’s done. 

I would imagine he's got his eyes on SS

11 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Ahhh he’s a high roller. Living high on the hog. I seen his pic and I was like damn. Fred Durst off Limp Bizkit really let himself go. 

This argument is pretty stupid. Dude just stated a legit opinion and gets personally and professionally attacked for it. What a joke!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Stinks 2

26 minutes ago, ScrappyDappyDoo said:

This argument is pretty stupid. Dude just stated a legit opinion and gets personally and professionally attacked for it. What a joke!

I agree...he made a legitimate point about the job (concerning the pay scale) unfortunately that is the problem many of the small schools in our area are facing, or will face in the near future. There is just not a large enough tax base to warrant higher pay scales for their coaches...I have been a fan of PP for many years but I think the job is not as desirable as it once was. Besides the problem with the lower pay and fewer assistant coaches I think the community's expectations are much higher than what will be obtainable on the field. I hope I am wrong but I just don't see the deep runs happening in the near future and when that happens it will, of course, be the new guys fault, and he will be gone. Sure hope I am wrong, they have been such a good program for a long time. For the kids sake I hope they get a good one or elevate someone on staff.

• Like 2
  • Stinks 1

I dont pretend to know everything, but isnt a coaches pay dependent on the number of years in the teaching profession.  I know a district can pay a larger stipend, but how much they have to add is dependent on number of years in profession.  A younger coach is usually going to make less.

25 minutes ago, blueflu said:

I dont pretend to know everything, but isnt a coaches pay dependent on the number of years in the teaching profession.  I know a district can pay a larger stipend, but how much they have to add is dependent on number of years in profession.  A younger coach is usually going to make less.

No, there is a minimum base pay based on years of service but districts can set pay of teachers/coaches to a point higher...also can set stipends at whatever point they want...or as low as they want. Different sports have different stipends and head coaches stipends are usually higher than assistants stipends. 

I would also add districts can, and do, get pretty good at adding or stacking stipends for almost anything to entice a head coach or to get an assistant coach to come to their school...I've seen stipends for field maintenance, laundry, third assistant positions and on and on!!!

6 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

It was, Scrappy! I sleep like a baby. Good clean livin’ will do that for ya. 

Some understand you @NATUREBOY98 others don't. But those talking about not buying the magazine (Dave Campbell's) or cancelling their subscription to DC Texas Football are off base. All Matt said was that PP needed to pay more if they wanted to keep the coach or attract as qualified a candidate, or cease to be a stepping stone.

This is the truth, plain and simple facts.

Coaching is still a business, the coach has a responsibility to his family and earning as much money as possible to set yourself up for retirement is a real thing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

But those talking about not buying the magazine (Dave Campbell's) or cancelling their subscription to DC Texas Football are off base. All Matt said was that PP needed to pay more if they wanted to keep the coach or attract as qualified a candidate, or cease to be a stepping stone.

This is what I was referring to in my original post. And attacking the 4th place finish PREDICTION. Then the personal style question. I probably should have quoted those instead of the post I did. 

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

14 hours ago, Cowboyz4life said:

"Have thicker skin, but you offended me so I'm unsubscribing...."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL! 2

15 hours ago, soldier1 said:

That is my point.  She needs to get some sound advice on this 

Stepp is right.  All he's saying is that if they don't want to keep losing good coaches like Abron or if they want to hire someone of the same quality they will have to pay better. This is a fact. Right now they will be a stepping stone to a higher paying job in a better area. If they are ok with coaching searches every few years, even as a successful program pay can stay the same. This isn't disrespectful to PP this is just reality and the reality of a lot of small schools. Coaches have to take care of their family, and to think this cycle won't repeat is stupid. 

Its also tough to hire quality or keep quality assistants at PP because of the pay, even compared to other small schools in the area. Once again if you can't pay more you can't, but that doesn't change the affect it has on applicants and coaches. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Richard Strickland hired at Paul Pewitt