UPDATE: Richard Strickland hired at Paul Pewitt

dillonpanthers

14 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Why did those starters quit? I heard we may have a problem with kids playing for him. Overton wasn’t mentioned though. 

Some moved, some didn’t like competing, and some got into trouble.  I guess that’s the best way to put it.  There wasn’t structure.  He put in structure and not all kids can handle it.  Paul Pewitt will continue to do well.  

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

7 hours ago, LIONMAN said:

Some moved, some didn’t like competing, and some got into trouble.  I guess that’s the best way to put it.  There wasn’t structure.  He put in structure and not all kids can handle it.  Paul Pewitt will continue to do well.  

He sat a star athlete that didn’t want to act right is what I heard. If that’s true good for him. Sometimes good people end up in places that just don’t fit. This guy has a long resume and at least two state championship rings as an assistant. One under Surrat in Carthage and one in Henderson.  Also has coached in a couple of FCA allstar games. Seems like a pretty solid guy. 

• Like 2
  • Stinks 1

Coach Strickland is a great coach and man.  I was told that someone put something on here about him.  I have not been on this site in many, many years.  I do not know if I have ever posted.  However, I have known Strick for many years.  If it is true that he is going to Paul Pewitt, then the Brahmas have got them one of the best men they could get to lead them.  His football knowledge and background speak for themselves.  The players and the coaches under him will love him.  He is organized, dedicated, and will work hard to build a solid all-sports program.  Ask the people of Henderson or Nashville what they think of him.  He is a disciplinarian, which is what Pewitt has always respected.  He did the right thing at Overton.  It cost him one season of a bad win-loss record.  Those are the breaks sometimes.  The Pewitt students, assistant coaches, and staff will respect him for his discipline and enthusiasm.  If he does go to Pewitt, the Brahmas should be very appreciative for him choosing them.  He could go a lot of places, but with Pewitt's tradition, I can understand him wanting to come back to East Texas.  It is a good match.    

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 1

On 3/21/2020 at 1:44 PM, Steeler said:

Coach Strickland is a great coach and man.  I was told that someone put something on here about him.  I have not been on this site in many, many years.  I do not know if I have ever posted.  However, I have known Strick for many years.  If it is true that he is going to Paul Pewitt, then the Brahmas have got them one of the best men they could get to lead them.  His football knowledge and background speak for themselves.  The players and the coaches under him will love him.  He is organized, dedicated, and will work hard to build a solid all-sports program.  Ask the people of Henderson or Nashville what they think of him.  He is a disciplinarian, which is what Pewitt has always respected.  He did the right thing at Overton.  It cost him one season of a bad win-loss record.  Those are the breaks sometimes.  The Pewitt students, assistant coaches, and staff will respect him for his discipline and enthusiasm.  If he does go to Pewitt, the Brahmas should be very appreciative for him choosing them.  He could go a lot of places, but with Pewitt's tradition, I can understand him wanting to come back to East Texas.  It is a good match.    

congrats coach.

• LOL! 1

7 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

What’s your thoughts on this coach. Heard good things and so so things. 

He got a raw deal at Overton. Few bad apples (players and parents)..... but he can coach. Did good at Lee with what he had. Haven’t heard a bad thing about him. 

• Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Purpleforever said:

no matter what anybody says or thinks, he is your coach. The thing to do now is give him a chance, see him in action at your school, before making any rash decisions.

He will have to hit the ground running. 

Pewitt will have a good senior group next year, and it will be probably be the best group he has as the HC of Pewitt IMO.

On 3/23/2020 at 6:31 PM, Eagleborn said:

He got a raw deal at Overton. Few bad apples (players and parents)..... but he can coach. Did good at Lee with what he had. Haven’t heard a bad thing about him. 

How did he get a raw deal?  He had his contract extended at Overton and left on his own to return to Arkansas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Indeed. Should fair well next season. After that there will be a two or three lull. Now teenage boys can do lots of growing in 2-3 years so there’s hope. Several talented kids in 5-7 grades. We will have another nice run once they get up there. Old gene pool dries up ever so often in these tiny schools. 

Y'all are lucky y'all don't have ND on the schedule the next two years. Even with the coaching staff in doubt and losing a good Sr bunch from this last year, ND would kill them heifers. 

😂🤪😂😂🤪😂🤪😂🤣🤣😂🤪😎😉😉😉

1kyuyi.jpg

According to the roster of one of the playoff games, Pewitt had a lot of sophomores starting this year.  That means they have two more years.  Also, have heard that the numbers are good in lower grades.  If the coach is indeed Coach Strickland, he will get the max out of them.  He will have a program that develops young people.  He will also be demanding.  Which is good as well.  Also, hearing rumor that Kumrow will have major role with Strickland.  Rumor is that Strickland loves Kumrow as a person and coach.  

Yes, EB is clearly implying non-admin folks here. 

The OISD supt. is a good man. You probably won't find a more straight-shooter in public education. 

You are misinformed.  He did not get a raw deal at Overton.  He came is season one and went 9-3.  Lost to Carlisle (on two pick 6 tds) Teneha, and Bremond in Rd2.    But even with a solid group coming back, he started interviewing for other jobs (which some didn't  like, but its part of the profession). The next season we were preseason #10 which was fairly accurate.  Maybe a little high, but for sure we were a top 20 team. Then the bottom fell out... We lost our starting QB b/c he changed schools to pursue basketball, and the other kid mentioned that was dismissed from the team was probably gonna be the district MVP, and a couple of all-district o-linemen decided not to play.  Not to mention Colmesneil dropped us and we had to replace them with San Augustine who was as one of the best 2A div 1 teams in the state.   Yes his back was against the wall, and yes a 1-9 season will definitely make you want to look for something better.  But he was always supported by the admin and by all the parents that I talked to.  

• Thanks 1

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Richard Strickland hired at Paul Pewitt