UPDATE: Richard Strickland hired at Paul Pewitt

dillonpanthers

Is it fair to question why a coach left a 1-9 team after two seasons? We just had a coach leave a state finalist team after two seasons and no one questioned his decision. Yeah I’m sure that there will be people who get their feelings ruffled about this statement but it a valid question. Simple answer is all coaches are human and at the end of the year they all do what they feel like is best for them and their family. No one is perfect, if the worst thing someone can find to say about him is he has high standards and he holds his kids accountable then how bad can he be. 

On 4/2/2020 at 12:33 PM, NATUREBOY98 said:

Well damn fellas I’m nervous now. I was reviewing our schedule. I don't think we'll make it out of District with a winning record. Might not win a District game. For sure no playoffs for us. I may move to Daingerfield and jump on that bandwagon...go Tigers! 

Dang NB!! Wow! 😱😉😂

On 3/31/2020 at 2:30 PM, MUSTANGMANIA said:

You are misinformed.  He did not get a raw deal at Overton.  He came is season one and went 9-3.  Lost to Carlisle (on two pick 6 tds) Teneha, and Bremond in Rd2.    But even with a solid group coming back, he started interviewing for other jobs (which some didn't  like, but its part of the profession). The next season we were preseason #10 which was fairly accurate.  Maybe a little high, but for sure we were a top 20 team. Then the bottom fell out... We lost our starting QB b/c he changed schools to pursue basketball, and the other kid mentioned that was dismissed from the team was probably gonna be the district MVP, and a couple of all-district o-linemen decided not to play.  Not to mention Colmesneil dropped us and we had to replace them with San Augustine who was as one of the best 2A div 1 teams in the state.   Yes his back was against the wall, and yes a 1-9 season will definitely make you want to look for something better.  But he was always supported by the admin and by all the parents that I talked to.  

All true...

Doesn't matter what happened at Overton. Hopefully hes in Texas to stay. Stick is a Great Coach and Man be interesting to see the staff he builds. Sorry if you man, or the guy you wanted or thought deserved it missed out, But IMHO This is a fantastic hire. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Hey. Arkansas cow tipper. You looking ahead already to Henderson? Well don’t let the door hit you where the good Lord split ya. You was forced to keep the OC? The guy that was the OC of the nations best rushing attack not good enough? He’s forgot more about football than you’ll ever know. Say @EastTxFinest I won’t be using these on y’all this year bud. 

6E90A627-C6E1-48EF-B3F7-D89E4BB03290.gif

Uh oh Natureboy. Trouble in PP? Did Kumrow leave?

10 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Hey. Arkansas cow tipper. You looking ahead already to Henderson? Well don’t let the door hit you where the good Lord split ya. You was forced to keep the OC? The guy that was the OC of the nations best rushing attack not good enough? He’s forgot more about football than you’ll ever know. Say @EastTxFinest I won’t be using these on y’all this year bud. 

Where is this article where he said he was forced to keep the OC or wants to go to Henderson? Or was that just something said it town? 

2 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

No he isn’t leaving. Word gets out though about folks private feelings and they don’t line up with the 💩 they’re shoveling publicly. 

Gotta admit, wasn't sure how the PP offense would mesh with new guy's philosophy. Figured they'd work it out though. Guess I was wrong? 

2 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

No he isn’t leaving. Word gets out though about folks private feelings and they don’t line up with the 💩 they’re shoveling publicly. 

Gotcha. There are definitely some things you better not say out loud in a small town. 

On 5/3/2020 at 10:53 PM, NATUREBOY98 said:

This escalated quickly 

28 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Rubbed me wrong way bout our OC. I love that coach to death. Great coach even better man. 

Respect the loyalty here, but Smoaky dot com might not be the best forum to air your grievances. Maybe you should give the guy a call, give him a chance to share his point of view. It could be a misunderstanding. Dude probably hasn't even held a practice yet. 

I'm not an AD, but if I were, I would also want to bring in my own people and install my own system. It's not unheard of. With respect to the "nation's leading rushing attack" there's a reason y'all hired this guy to run the show. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LOL said:

Respect the loyalty here, but Smoaky dot com might not be the best forum to air your grievances. Maybe you should give the guy a call, give him a chance to share his point of view. It could be a misunderstanding. Dude probably hasn't even held a practice yet. 

I'm not an AD, but if I were, I would also want to bring in my own people and install my own system. It's not unheard of. With respect to the "nation's leading rushing attack" there's a reason y'all hired this guy to run the show. 

its definitely a "push all your chips to the middle of the table" move. imo you have to be able to bring in your own guys if you think that gives you the best chance to succeed. You may go down with the ship but they have to give you that chance, otherwise it feels like you are being forced to conform and most coaches just wont buy into that. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RoughnedOdorsRightHook said:

its definitely a "push all your chips to the middle of the table" move. imo you have to be able to bring in your own guys if you think that gives you the best chance to succeed. You may go down with the ship but they have to give you that chance, otherwise it feels like you are being forced to conform and most coaches just wont buy into that. 

Yeah, I hear you. Speaking purely as an outside observer (with no dog in the hunt), I gotta say that if you hire a guy to run your program, you're hiring him to run the program. If he wants to keelhaul the entire staff, well, that's the guy you chose so better back him 100 percent. 

Ultimately the W's and L's are gonna be under his name, so he gets to pick who calls the plays, on both sides of the ball. It ain't show friends, it's show business. 

42 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Board listened to absolutely nobody’s request. Everyone wanted someone who would possibly stay...

If I might play devil's advocate...   did those people speak in Open Forum prior to the board meeting where he was hired, or in the subsequent bored meetings after the fact? Define "everyone." Is this the local coffee shop crew, or is there a large outcry from community stakeholders? Can you direct me to a Facebook page for Brahma Boosters where these concerns are being verbalized? 

Not trying to bust your balls here, sincerely curious.

47 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

...and this guy, like you said, hasn’t held a practice yet and already talking about Henderson

You heard him say this?

Even so, if it were me, I'd reach out and have a conversation. Maybe he'd lie to my face, but at the very least I'd let him know where I stand. 

• Like 1

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Richard Strickland hired at Paul Pewitt