The Smoakhouse Forums

34 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Most coaches want to bring their own coordinators in. That's just the way it is. BUT I would imagine he knew going in to PP that is was expected he keep the same OC and same offense. 

Felt forced to keep him. Yeah real damn burden keeping the OC that lead the nations leading rushing attack. 

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coach Strickland is a great coach and man.  I was told that someone put something on here about him.  I have not been on this site in many, many years.  I do not know if I have ever posted.  However,

Here is the truth of the matter...like it or not.  If you are interested in developing/continuing a successful program you either need to hire Kerry Strong from Big Sandy and get ready to start rollin

He won’t get it. Some board members got some good looking wives. 

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Pewitt’s offense was pretty deadly the two years they operated in the spread. 

Their defense was the issue.

2016 was good because of Tyshun Mitchell. He was a one man show. 2017 ypg and ppg fell off a cliff. Same QB. Just no Tyshun. 

I know Kumrow has been there a LONG time. Was he the HFC at Pewitt during the 1988 season? I'm just curious for a reason. 

2 hours ago, TTman7 said:

I know Kumrow has been there a LONG time. Was he the HFC at Pewitt during the 1988 season? I'm just curious for a reason. 

He’s been here since the 1985 season and he’s gonna remain here as long as he wants. Doug Black was the HFC that season you’re referring to. 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, PlayBall said:

Any new news on the new guy? What's his philosophy on baseball?

Straight football. Girl sports are an afterthought as well as other male sports. That is coming from a former colleague. 

• Thanks 1
On 5/3/2020 at 10:53 PM, NATUREBOY98 said:

Hey. Arkansas cow tipper. You looking ahead already to Henderson? Well don’t let the door hit you where the good Lord split ya. You was forced to keep the OC? The guy that was the OC of the nations best rushing attack not good enough? He’s forgot more about football than you’ll ever know. Say @EastTxFinest I won’t be using these on y’all this year bud. 

6E90A627-C6E1-48EF-B3F7-D89E4BB03290.gif

This escalated quickly 

28 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Rubbed me wrong way bout our OC. I love that coach to death. Great coach even better man. 

Respect the loyalty here, but Smoaky dot com might not be the best forum to air your grievances. Maybe you should give the guy a call, give him a chance to share his point of view. It could be a misunderstanding. Dude probably hasn't even held a practice yet. 

I'm not an AD, but if I were, I would also want to bring in my own people and install my own system. It's not unheard of. With respect to the "nation's leading rushing attack" there's a reason y'all hired this guy to run the show. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, LOL said:

Respect the loyalty here, but Smoaky dot com might not be the best forum to air your grievances. Maybe you should give the guy a call, give him a chance to share his point of view. It could be a misunderstanding. Dude probably hasn't even held a practice yet. 

I'm not an AD, but if I were, I would also want to bring in my own people and install my own system. It's not unheard of. With respect to the "nation's leading rushing attack" there's a reason y'all hired this guy to run the show. 

its definitely a "push all your chips to the middle of the table" move. imo you have to be able to bring in your own guys if you think that gives you the best chance to succeed. You may go down with the ship but they have to give you that chance, otherwise it feels like you are being forced to conform and most coaches just wont buy into that. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LOL said:

Board listened to absolutely nobody’s request. Everyone wanted someone who would possibly stay and this guy, like you said, hasn’t held a practice yet and already talking about Henderson. 

• Confused 1
47 minutes ago, RoughnedOdorsRightHook said:

its definitely a "push all your chips to the middle of the table" move. imo you have to be able to bring in your own guys if you think that gives you the best chance to succeed. You may go down with the ship but they have to give you that chance, otherwise it feels like you are being forced to conform and most coaches just wont buy into that. 

Yeah, I hear you. Speaking purely as an outside observer (with no dog in the hunt), I gotta say that if you hire a guy to run your program, you're hiring him to run the program. If he wants to keelhaul the entire staff, well, that's the guy you chose so better back him 100 percent. 

Ultimately the W's and L's are gonna be under his name, so he gets to pick who calls the plays, on both sides of the ball. It ain't show friends, it's show business. 

42 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Board listened to absolutely nobody’s request. Everyone wanted someone who would possibly stay...

If I might play devil's advocate...   did those people speak in Open Forum prior to the board meeting where he was hired, or in the subsequent bored meetings after the fact? Define "everyone." Is this the local coffee shop crew, or is there a large outcry from community stakeholders? Can you direct me to a Facebook page for Brahma Boosters where these concerns are being verbalized? 

Not trying to bust your balls here, sincerely curious.

47 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

...and this guy, like you said, hasn’t held a practice yet and already talking about Henderson

You heard him say this?

Even so, if it were me, I'd reach out and have a conversation. Maybe he'd lie to my face, but at the very least I'd let him know where I stand. 

• Like 1
  • LOL changed the title to UPDATE: Richard Strickland hired at Paul Pewitt
22 minutes ago, LOL said:

If I might play devil's advocate...   did those people speak in Open Forum prior to the board meeting where he was hired, or in the subsequent bored meetings after the fact? Define "everyone." Is this the local coffee shop crew, or is there a large outcry from community stakeholders? Can you direct me to a Facebook page for Brahma Boosters where these concerns are being verbalized? 

. . . 

You heard him say this?

Even so, if it were me, I'd reach out and have a conversation. Maybe he'd lie to my face, but at the very least I'd let him know where I stand. 

Yes several people voiced their opinion that they wanted someone who was going to be here for a long haul. This senior class will be on it’s 3rd coach in 4 years. There’s a coach on staff who’s from New Boston. His wife is from Hooks. They’re aren’t looking to go anywhere. Very family oriented. He’s a great coach and played college ball for SMU. No I didn’t hear him with my own ears but the guy who told me is standup. Several have dm’d me saying the same thing. I don’t care if he leaves after year one, just don’t act like our OC is a burden you have to bare. That’s what pizzes me off. 

• Like 1
Just now, NATUREBOY98 said:

Yes several people voiced their opinion that they wanted someone who was going to be here for a long haul. This senior class will be on it’s 3rd coach in 4 years. There’s a coach on staff who’s from New Boston. His wife is from Hooks. They’re aren’t looking to go anywhere. Very family oriented. He’s a great coach and played college ball for SMU. No I didn’t hear him with my own ears but the guy who told me is standup. Several have dm’d me saying the same thing. I don’t care if he leaves after year one, just don’t act like our OC is a burden you have to bare. That’s what pizzes me off. 

I totally understand. No school wants to be treated like someone's way-in, and that kind of frequent repetitive turnaround can cripple a program. I get it. 

5 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Board listened to absolutely nobody’s request. Everyone wanted someone who would possibly stay and this guy, like you said, hasn’t held a practice yet and already talking about Henderson. 

Talking about Henderson?  Maybe I'm slow on this but why would he be talking about Henderson.  

Just now, chubbychecker said:

Talking about Henderson?  Maybe I'm slow on this but why would he be talking about Henderson.  

He was an assistant coach at Henderson when they won State.

The presumption is that he's waiting for an opportunity to return, if/when Castles leaves/is fired. 

Just now, LOL said:

The presumption is that he's waiting for an opportunity to return, if/when Castles leaves/is fired. 

That's a big presumption......I mean that's been 10 years right?

7 minutes ago, chubbychecker said:

That's a big presumption......I mean that's been 10 years right?

This is a message board. All we've got is presumption. 

4 hours ago, LOL said:

He was DC as well after leaving for Tyler lee for  year. He then moved on to Overton. I have no Idea where your getting your info but this guy was an assistant at Carthage on the baseball team that won state. Guy likes all sports, has a heck of a weight program and a dang good coach.  Let the man coach and sorry that "your man" didn't get the job. No reason to trash just because you don't know him from Adam. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, EastTxFinest said:

I just delivered the burning dumpster to the Northern part of our county. No fuel needed. That 💩 stays burnin and with whatever this bs yall got going it'll stay burnin thru a damn monsoon 

Appreciate it bud. I’ll watch over it. 

2013A71F-DD11-49DE-9DA4-7EB8FB7EEC02.gif