The Smoakhouse Forums

10 minutes ago, ScrappyDappyDoo said:

This argument is pretty stupid. Dude just stated a legit opinion and gets personally and professionally attacked for it. What a joke!

Morris County people have their feelings on their sleeves.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, ScrappyDappyDoo said:

This argument is pretty stupid. Dude just stated a legit opinion and gets personally and professionally attacked for it. What a joke!

I agree...he made a legitimate point about the job (concerning the pay scale) unfortunately that is the problem many of the small schools in our area are facing, or will face in the near future. There is just not a large enough tax base to warrant higher pay scales for their coaches...I have been a fan of PP for many years but I think the job is not as desirable as it once was. Besides the problem with the lower pay and fewer assistant coaches I think the community's expectations are much higher than what will be obtainable on the field. I hope I am wrong but I just don't see the deep runs happening in the near future and when that happens it will, of course, be the new guys fault, and he will be gone. Sure hope I am wrong, they have been such a good program for a long time. For the kids sake I hope they get a good one or elevate someone on staff.

• Like 2
  • Stinks 1

44 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Morris County people have their feelings on their sleeves.

Nah man. Never ever happens. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, ScrappyDappyDoo said:

It was intended to be just a joke Scrappy. 

I dont pretend to know everything, but isnt a coaches pay dependent on the number of years in the teaching profession.  I know a district can pay a larger stipend, but how much they have to add is dependent on number of years in profession.  A younger coach is usually going to make less.

25 minutes ago, blueflu said:

I dont pretend to know everything, but isnt a coaches pay dependent on the number of years in the teaching profession.  I know a district can pay a larger stipend, but how much they have to add is dependent on number of years in profession.  A younger coach is usually going to make less.

No, there is a minimum base pay based on years of service but districts can set pay of teachers/coaches to a point higher...also can set stipends at whatever point they want...or as low as they want. Different sports have different stipends and head coaches stipends are usually higher than assistants stipends. 

I would also add districts can, and do, get pretty good at adding or stacking stipends for almost anything to entice a head coach or to get an assistant coach to come to their school...I've seen stipends for field maintenance, laundry, third assistant positions and on and on!!!

3 minutes ago, ScrappyDappyDoo said:

Sure it was, Ric! Whatever helps you sleep at night.

It was, Scrappy! I sleep like a baby. Good clean livin’ will do that for ya. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

No, there is a minimum base pay based on years of service but districts can set pay of teachers/coaches to a point higher...also can set stipends at whatever point they want...or as low as they want. Different sports have different stipends and head coaches stipends are usually higher than assistants stipends. 

I would also add districts can, and do, get pretty good at adding or stacking stipends for almost anything to entice a head coach or to get an assistant coach to come to their school...I've seen stipends for field maintenance, laundry, third assistant positions and on and on!!!

Laundry and field maintenance? Really? Thats a misuse of funds imo. Can’t blame them for taking it though. 

6 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

It was, Scrappy! I sleep like a baby. Good clean livin’ will do that for ya. 

Some understand you @NATUREBOY98 others don't. But those talking about not buying the magazine (Dave Campbell's) or cancelling their subscription to DC Texas Football are off base. All Matt said was that PP needed to pay more if they wanted to keep the coach or attract as qualified a candidate, or cease to be a stepping stone.

This is the truth, plain and simple facts.

Coaching is still a business, the coach has a responsibility to his family and earning as much money as possible to set yourself up for retirement is a real thing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

But those talking about not buying the magazine (Dave Campbell's) or cancelling their subscription to DC Texas Football are off base. All Matt said was that PP needed to pay more if they wanted to keep the coach or attract as qualified a candidate, or cease to be a stepping stone.

This is what I was referring to in my original post. And attacking the 4th place finish PREDICTION. Then the personal style question. I probably should have quoted those instead of the post I did. 

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

14 hours ago, Cowboyz4life said:

Unfortunately, smart people like you do not understand that it is HS football fans like us that do sign your pay checks. Need to have a little thicker skin there. I just cancelled my Dave Campbell sub. of a LOOOOOOOONG time.  I may just be one, but you won't get another .0000000000000000000000000000000000001 from me.

"Have thicker skin, but you offended me so I'm unsubscribing...."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

Some understand you @NATUREBOY98 others don't. But those talking about not buying the magazine (Dave Campbell's) or cancelling their subscription to DC Texas Football are off base. All Matt said was that PP needed to pay more if they wanted to keep the coach or attract as qualified a candidate, or cease to be a stepping stone.

This is the truth, plain and simple facts.

Coaching is still a business, the coach has a responsibility to his family and earning as much money as possible to set yourself up for retirement is a real thing. 

1 minute ago, ScrappyDappyDoo said:

This is what I was referring to in my original post. And attacking the 4th place finish PREDICTION. Then the personal style question. I probably should have quoted those instead of the post I did. 

I’m personal friends with Coach Abron. I’m saddened that a great friend isn’t gonna be down the road anymore. I’m elated though that he and his wonderful wife and kids are getting this opportunity. Whatever friends he makes in Mexia will feel the same way, cause this man has no limits on how far he wants to go in the coaching business. Now saying all that, I’m still NB98 and was but hurt at Mr. Stepp, so I lashed out a little. Love the magazine and will continue to read over our district at Wal Mart and put it back on the shelf. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

"Have thicker skin, but you offended me so I'm unsubscribing...."

Lol

15 hours ago, soldier1 said:

I wouldn’t say the new Sup is clueless and i also think she wouldn’t interfere with the AD/HC decision to make the best choices for the team, even if its dropping their historic offense for another.  

That is my point.  She needs to get some sound advice on this 

Stepp is right.  All he's saying is that if they don't want to keep losing good coaches like Abron or if they want to hire someone of the same quality they will have to pay better. This is a fact. Right now they will be a stepping stone to a higher paying job in a better area. If they are ok with coaching searches every few years, even as a successful program pay can stay the same. This isn't disrespectful to PP this is just reality and the reality of a lot of small schools. Coaches have to take care of their family, and to think this cycle won't repeat is stupid. 

Its also tough to hire quality or keep quality assistants at PP because of the pay, even compared to other small schools in the area. Once again if you can't pay more you can't, but that doesn't change the affect it has on applicants and coaches. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

Stepp is right.  All he's saying is that if they don't want to keep losing good coaches like Abron or if they want to hire someone of the same quality they will have to pay better. This is a fact. Right now they will be a stepping stone to a higher paying job in a better area. If they are ok with coaching searches every few years, even as a successful program pay can stay the same. This isn't disrespectful to PP this is just reality and the reality of a lot of small schools. Coaches have to take care of their family, and to think this cycle won't repeat is stupid. 

Its also tough to hire quality or keep quality assistants at PP because of the pay, even compared to other small schools in the area. Once again if you can't pay more you can't, but that doesn't change the affect it has on applicants and coaches. 

Definitely new territory for us. We had 3 coaches in 24 seasons. With whoever the new guy is, it’ll make 3 coaches in 6 seasons next year. This group of seniors coming up will have had 3 coaches in their 4 years of high school. Never has happened before. 

16 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Clearly the money comment struck a nerve....73k is what Coach Abron made last year...I am well aware of the money situation....of course Pewitt can't match what Mexia made..the point was to increase the odds of attracting a quality candidate Pewitt needs to pay more..The other stuff you are rambling about is silly and not even worth my energy...I have a beach in Jamaica to enjoy...

And how do they and bunch more like them do that?  Local tax base aside, do you agree the state needs to change the way it funds public schools? Maybe you can help us in 2021 and come to Austin and testify before the legislature. Think about it. 

8 minutes ago, BoHogg said:

And how do they and bunch more like them do that?  Local tax base aside, do you agree the state needs to change the way it funds public schools? Maybe you can help us in 2021 and come to Austin and testify before the legislature. Think about it. 

He can’t. He’ll be on a beach in the Bahamas at that time. 

17 minutes ago, BoHogg said:

Some find way, just depends on what is important to you. Dekalb for example, is in the same district as pewitt with no industry and they pay great. Bowie pays really good for their size. It all depends on how you spend your money. A lot of schools find ways to make it happen.  

11 minutes ago, BEARDEDGOAT said:

Some find way, just depends on what is important to you. Dekalb for example, is in the same district as pewitt with no industry and they pay great. Bowie pays really good for their size. It all depends on how you spend your money. A lot of schools find ways to make it happen.  

What does Buddy make over there?

5 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

What does Buddy make over there?

I don't know but I d know they gave their teachers a big raise last year. So I would assume he got one too.

1 minute ago, BEARDEDGOAT said:

I don't know but I d know they gave their teachers a big raise last year. So I would assume he got one too.

I don't think the raises from last year went towards administration positions.

4 minutes ago, BEARDEDGOAT said:

First year teachers make 32,500 at DeKalb. They make 34,160 at Pewitt. 

7 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

First year teachers make 32,500 at DeKalb. They make 34,160 at Pewitt. 

Those are old numbers.