Corrigan-Camden is open

RagnarLothbrok

2 hours ago, Slickarick said:

corrigan not running the wing-t would be like waking up and the sun being blue and sky being yellow. Would just be so different. 

1 hour ago, centex1 said:

Sounds like the spread will fix everything. Always does

I have no idea what offense the new coach will run, and I really don't care, I just said he will have a different "perspective" on how things should be run.

9 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

I have no idea what offense the new coach will run, and I really don't care, I just said he will have a different "perspective" on how things should be run.

As long as the offense gets approval from some vocal citizens that were not satisfied with an undefeated group of 8th graders who are about to be 10th grader's that BETTER win state in every UIL sponsored activity and all get D1 scholarships, he'll be fine. Oh and the second longest playoff streak in East Texas behind Newton, which Corrigan should apparently beat every year..... Winning, responsibility, character building, sportsmanship, team play, and role model coaches are undesirable qualities that mean nothing in the eyes of some community members.

• LOL! 2

1 hour ago, Reddog92 said:

As long as the offense gets approval from some vocal citizens that were not satisfied with an undefeated group of 8th graders who are about to be 10th grader's that BETTER win state in every UIL sponsored activity and all get D1 scholarships, he'll be fine. Oh and the second longest playoff streak in East Texas behind Newton, which Corrigan should apparently beat every year..... Winning, responsibility, character building, sportsmanship, team play, and role model coaches are undesirable qualities that mean nothing in the eyes of some community members.

No argument from me.

Not saying things will be better or worse, just saying the new man will have a different "perspective."

14 hours ago, Cowboyz4life said:

Did Coach Armstrong Retire, find another job, or was he asked to leave?  I know he had been there a long time.  Very nice and accommodating man in my dealings with him years ago. Just curious.

Heard people weren't too happy with him because he had too much discipline.. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lacesout214 said:

Dang, hope that is not the truth, but unfortunately parents/community these days want a tough football team, but want to micro manage every part of a program.  The PC culture is destroying it.  It is getting harder and harder to keep young good coaches in the profession. Once they see all the "stuff" they have to deal with in a year or two, the poor wages, they find another profession.  Less hours, better pay, less stress.  I truly hate it.

I am a former coach and retired a few years ago, but still work in a industry that I deal with coaches all over the state. Other than the things i mentioned above, the PC culture and school board interference the main issue, especially in the small school is keeping coaches.

If they don't get out of the profession all together, they leave for the bigger school quickly. The bigger school are at such a shortage, they are paying way way more that the small schools can pay. For a 2nd year coach.   Now I am all for coaches making as much as they can. It is a gypsy life for the most part. you don't get to plant roots anywhere if you ever want to move up the coaching ladder.  But as many small school  coaches tell me ( 3A and lower mostly) is that you get a guy straight out of college, you hire him on a probationary contract, most of the times the smaller schools have to hire people who haven't gotten their certification yet, but they hire then on that probationary contract with the understanding that they get their certification with in that first year, they also require the young coach to get his CDL that first year, also coaching 3 sometimes 4 sports.  All the while making 40-45K a year  with those hours.   So after you help the young coach get certified, maybe he gets his CDL ( which is VERY hard to do while finishing your I Teach Texas to get certified and coach 3 sports and teach the class you have) a bigger school comes along that spring and offers him a 20K a year raise to come and work for them.  Only coach 2 sports, etc.

But you then have people and school board members ask, why can't we keep coaches.     Well, look in the mirror.

I am not saying these districts can afford to pay more, some can, some cant, but before blaming everyone else, look in that mirror.

I could go on a long rant over school boards and how unqualified the vast majority of these people are to be on a school board , but I will save it to another day. This old coach as to get to a little work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Cowboyz4life said:

Dang, hope that is not the truth, but unfortunately parents/community these days want a tough football team, but want to micro manage every part of a program.  The PC culture is destroying it.  It is getting harder and harder to keep young good coaches in the profession. Once they see all the "stuff" they have to deal with in a year or two, the poor wages, they find another profession.  Less hours, better pay, less stress.  I truly hate it.

I am a former coach and retired a few years ago, but still work in a industry that I deal with coaches all over the state. Other than the things i mentioned above, the PC culture and school board interference the main issue, especially in the small school is keeping coaches.

If they don't get out of the profession all together, they leave for the bigger school quickly. The bigger school are at such a shortage, they are paying way way more that the small schools can pay. For a 2nd year coach.   Now I am all for coaches making as much as they can. It is a gypsy life for the most part. you don't get to plant roots anywhere if you ever want to move up the coaching ladder.  But as many small school  coaches tell me ( 3A and lower mostly) is that you get a guy straight out of college, you hire him on a probationary contract, most of the times the smaller schools have to hire people who haven't gotten their certification yet, but they hire then on that probationary contract with the understanding that they get their certification with in that first year, they also require the young coach to get his CDL that first year, also coaching 3 sometimes 4 sports.  All the while making 40-45K a year  with those hours.   So after you help the young coach get certified, maybe he gets his CDL ( which is VERY hard to do while finishing your I Teach Texas to get certified and coach 3 sports and teach the class you have) a bigger school comes along that spring and offers him a 20K a year raise to come and work for them.  Only coach 2 sports, etc.

But you then have people and school board members ask, why can't we keep coaches.     Well, look in the mirror.

I am not saying these districts can afford to pay more, some can, some cant, but before blaming everyone else, look in that mirror.

I could go on a long rant over school boards and how unqualified the vast majority of these people are to be on a school board , but I will save it to another day. This old coach as to get to a little work.

Right on the money! Sad, but true!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

Right on the money! Sad, but true!

yup. wish to be on the board there was more of a requirement of age and residence. Maybe a masters degree, the President of a company, Successful business person, have a test they have to take. something. If teachers have to be certified through tests and have a degree, and principles and Superintendents have to have extra, certifications and degrees Then why not the board. Just makes to much sense and is logical. But sense and logic and Education hardly ever mix.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lacesout214 said:

A group of mommy's boys or thugs will really have a rough go with Newton. If you don't have heart, football isn't your game. Also I have seen non-disciplined schools and from the Janitors,teachers and up  had bad hair days everyday.

On 2/27/2020 at 5:47 PM, Cowboyz4life said:

Did Coach Armstrong Retire, find another job, or was he asked to leave?  I know he had been there a long time.  Very nice and accommodating man in my dealings with him years ago. Just curious.

He is a great guy and a helluva coach.  If they ran him off they are fools.

• 3 weeks later...