Prepping

CarthDawg77

For a couple of years now, I have been prepping my home for instances such as the current hysteria being played out before us right now. My wife & I just went to Wally World to see for ourselves how people were reacting to the bare shelves where Water, Paper towels, toilet paper, and many other goods use to be. People had shopping carts piled high with anything they thought they might need in the coming weeks; I had previously gathered my supplies gradually over many months with little real expense. Just a case of water here or a bag of beans or rice or a box of ammo.

Done properly, this is fairly cheap as well as free from the stress I saw on many faces today. If one does this conservatively, they can go for weeks or even months without having to go to the store, except for perishables such as milk or bread, which are generally in abundant supply.

Let the Coronavirus scare blow over... things will stabilize soon enough, & if you turn off the television for awhile, heck, things should be fine in no time!😜👌

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BlahBlah said:

I hope you stocked up on air freshener with our beans and rice.   

I have scented candles for times when the power is off following storms; I also have old kerosene lamps to go along with about 20 or so of those white unscented religious candles which last for many hours.

As I said earlier, one or two things purchased here or there over many months will give you almost everything you need to manage to survive the Apocalypse!😜

On 3/14/2020 at 2:36 PM, BlahBlah said:

I hope you stocked up on air freshener with our beans and rice.   

The rice counters the beans.  That is why it is served in many cultures together.  They go together like peas and carrots.  https://www.livestrong.com/article/339608-foods-that-stop-flatulence/ .  I don't have any problem after eating rice and beans stirred up together at any Tex Mex restaurant I go to including my favorite or when I need some red beans and rice with sausage.  That's a Cajun trick as well.  

On 3/14/2020 at 2:47 PM, CarthDawg77 said:

I have scented candles for times when the power is off following storms; I also have old kerosene lamps to go along with about 20 or so of those white unscented religious candles which last for many hours.

As I said earlier, one or two things purchased here or there over many months will give you almost everything you need to manage to survive the Apocalypse!😜

Just lighting a match will get rid of the smell.  I swear, are you sure you grew up in the country ?  I knew to light a match before I entered any outhouse, but do it before you enter and not after your done.  Even human beings can add to the methane gases down below.  

45 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

Just lighting a match will get rid of the smell.  I swear, are you sure you grew up in the country ?  I knew to light a match before I entered any outhouse, but do it before you enter and not after your done.  Even human beings can add to the methane gases down below.  

Are you addressing me, or BoHogg? My own #### smell like roses!😜

I went to H.E.B. Today to pick up a loaf of bread some cheap wieners for our dogs to have as snacks (also to hide their meds in) & people were gathering whatever they needed as well. I saw a pallet of toilet paper being placed in position to stock the shelf; it still had the plastic sheeting wrapped around it to prevent the packages from falling off while it was in transit. From the Moment the guys cut the protective wrap & began to stock the shelf, people descending on them taking the rationed 2 packages per customer & inside of five minutes, the shelf was once again Empty! ( I Could have gotten two packages as well, but chose not to so others could get theirs... Totall insanity!😳

1 hour ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I went to H.E.B. Today to pick up a loaf of bread some cheap wieners for our dogs to have as snacks (also to hide their meds in) & people were gathering whatever they needed as well. I saw a pallet of toilet paper being placed in position to stock the shelf; it still had the plastic sheeting wrapped around it to prevent the packages from falling off while it was in transit. From the Moment the guys cut the protective wrap & began to stock the shelf, people descending on them taking the rationed 2 packages per customer & inside of five minutes, the shelf was once again Empty! ( I Could have gotten two packages as well, but chose not to so others could get theirs... Totall insanity!😳

I saw the video, and I don't think that was you in it.  I have enough dunny paper to last me for 8 weeks.  I invited Senator Ted Cruz to join me for lunch tomorrow at Pancho's , and to stop by Jim McIngvale's business just a couple of blocks away.   I doubt he would take me up on it, but he should.  He could see firsthand how this pandemonium is being treated in two separate ways.  One by limiting food to only be bought by carry out, and two a man that his helping the community.

2 minutes ago, FridayNightsLightsForever said:

Should always be prepared but panic buying is ridiculous. Lack of faith and common sense is a scary attitude to have. Most people have a me first mentality that doesn’t help anyone.

This is exactly what I have observed this week; Cutthroat shoppers... Other than one sweet lady who offered me some cornmeal from her home in Beckville today while I was unsuccessfully finding any at Wally World. I Declined her kind offer & eventually found a little at HEB.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FridayNightsLightsForever said:

Should always be prepared but panic buying is ridiculous. Lack of faith and common sense is a scary attitude to have. Most people have a me first mentality that doesn’t help anyone.

Yeah that bugs me.  Toilet paper is still selling like hot cakes.  I wanted to get a couple of cans of Wolf brand chili, and they were out.  I walk around to the other aisle and I see a guy with his basket full of it.  It had at least 60 cans of it.  I just looked at him and shook my head.  I've also noticed bacon, ground beef, and brisket are all sold out.  The other day I was at the dollar store, and they were all sold out of candy, but now it's full again.