Abbott waives STAAR testing requirements The governor is also requesting the Department of Education waive federal testing requirements for the 2019-2020 school year.

RETIREDFAN1

2 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

It only took a pandemic to get the state to do the right thing regarding testing. Maybe a retirement present for you, WH? 😉

I don't teach a tested subject.....lol.....I got Geometry, PreCal, and Statistics.......lol

Of course if you read the statement, it doesn't say we AREN'T giving the tests, it just says the requirements for the test will be waived. Think about it, is the state really going to waste over $600 million dollars of tests. They could, but I am betting that the state gives all the tests in May, and that the requirements to pass on to the next grade will be waived. We will have to wait and see. 

23 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Of course if you read the statement, it doesn't say we AREN'T giving the tests, it just says the requirements for the test will be waived. Think about it, is the state really going to waste over $600 million dollars of tests. They could, but I am betting that the state gives all the tests in May, and that the requirements to pass on to the next grade will be waived. We will have to wait and see. 

I read it to say that the tests will not be given at all......guess we interpret our native language differently.......lol....

I do need some clarification, too. Will seniors who need a test automatically have it waived? When will those who were going to take the tests take it next, or are we waiving it for them? Summer would be a nightmare and waiting until the retest normal month of December could be very problematic for those who have struggled. 
Supposed to get clarity this week, and, yeah, not only do I doubt the state flushing the money spent, but there are federal mandates. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

I do need some clarification, too. Will seniors who need a test automatically have it waived? When will those who were going to take the tests take it next, or are we waiving it for them? Summer would be a nightmare and waiting until the retest normal month of December could be very problematic for those who have struggled. 
Supposed to get clarity this week, and, yeah, not only do I doubt the state flushing the money spent, but there are federal mandates. 

My question is: What happens if the remainder of the school year is canceled? Do the kids have to repeat it? Do they get credit for it? What?

22 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

My question is: What happens if the remainder of the school year is canceled? Do the kids have to repeat it? Do they get credit for it? What?

We are looking at the possibility of doing virtual school longer than just the next few weeks. My thought is that basically where kids are now, passing or failing, is probably where they will end up, at the HS level. Hoping we get back into school, honestly, soon as safely possible. Our kids need us, I believe. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Great questions Barry. I read it as that requirements for advancing in a grade are being waived. I think that for seniors the districts are going to be left with that decision about graduation. But I think the other high school students will have to get their requirements, meaning that those freshmen that miss algebra or biology this year will have to do it next year. Like you Barry, I think we need to get back into the schools as soon as possible, with it being safe. I know people are telling others to study at home, but reality is, many folks won't and their only shot at an education is for them to be in school. 

2 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Getting a federal waiver soon....

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

We are looking at the possibility of doing virtual school longer than just the next few weeks. My thought is that basically where kids are now, passing or failing, is probably where they will end up, at the HS level. Hoping we get back into school, honestly, soon as safely possible. Our kids need us, I believe. 

Are all the districts in Texas equipped for "virtual school"? I'm a bit of a techie myself, so how are they doing that? Live virtual lessons? Emailing students assignments? How would that work?

28 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Are all the districts in Texas equipped for "virtual school"? I'm a bit of a techie myself, so how are they doing that? Live virtual lessons? Emailing students assignments? How would that work?

All our students at my school have Chromebooks issued, and we do have a lot of online classroom offerings as a part of what they do, including Google and Nearpod and Pardeck, too. However, at least 30% of my campus doesn't have home Internet, so while we do issue some Hotspots, we are having to look at options like driving buses with WiFi out into some neighborhoods and encouraging students to get to at least our parking lot outside the buildings. Most do have phones, but not all can handle complex programs. It can be really hit or miss if having to do it long term. This may really show the difference in the haves and the have nots out there in the state. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monte1076 said:

Depends upon the district. In one district I worked in, we used Google Classroom. It was awesome. Especially the grading part. I know that my district right now is checking to see the "home internet" percentages. Every teacher has to call their student's families and ask a series of questions to find out if online learning is feasible. The wave of the future. But come May, we probably get back into the classrooms, and by first of June we are giving "waived" STAAR tests. 

7 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

I see some spring home schoolers coming back to public school if they don’t need the STAAR to graduate :lol: 

4 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

My entire Sports Medicine 1 class is on google classroom