Season Over?

Ronster23

Not yet. 

They have given themselves a month from now to see how things are going. If we get to April 20th and it is not trending in a positive direction, I think that is when they will pull the plug. It would be difficult for baseball and softball, especially baseball, to get done in a timely fashion -- mid-Juneish. But if everyone got back at it on May 4th, you could finish the boys basketball tourney, do the full soccer playoffs and golf, track and tennis before the end of the end of the month.

Baseball and softball are going to end up being winner-take-all games in each round so they can do multiple round of the playoffs per week.

6 hours ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

Not yet. 

They have given themselves a month from now to see how things are going. If we get to April 20th and it is not trending in a positive direction, I think that is when they will pull the plug. It would be difficult for baseball and softball, especially baseball, to get done in a timely fashion -- mid-Juneish. But if everyone got back at it on May 4th, you could finish the boys basketball tourney, do the full soccer playoffs and golf, track and tennis before the end of the end of the month.

Baseball and softball are going to end up being winner-take-all games in each round so they can do multiple round of the playoffs per week.

I agree 100 % and you are right about baseball and softball they will go to the basketball format 1 game and play Monday/Tuesday and then round 2 Friday/Saturday. What is going to hurt baseball and softball is the rain if something gets rained out or we get a #### load of rain in may It is going to be tough to finish.

I talked to a softball coach and they said they could see softball doing it where Monday/Tuesday is bi-district, Wednesday/Thursday is area, Friday/Saturday is region quarterfinals. Apparrently the UIL is waiving the weekly game requirements once they get back to action, so something like this would be feasible.

I think you are underestimating the kids staying ready.

16 hours ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

Not yet. 

But if everyone got back at it on May 4th, you could finish the boys basketball tourney

I think that would be a farce, playing it after no games for two months and minimal practice. Would rather they just call it. 

2 hours ago, flukeshot said:

I think that would be a farce, playing it after no games for two months and minimal practice. Would rather they just call it. 

A farce would be flipping a coin for the winner. Playing the game is the only way it should be settled 

On 3/20/2020 at 1:20 AM, JasonDellaRosa said:

Not yet. 

I figure softball and baseball could do say one or two day district tournament to determine playoff seeding...thoughts?

23 hours ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

You've got a 25 percent chance of winning the state title -- 50-50 in the case of the 1A and 3A teams -- and you tell me those kids wouldn't play without a practice or any games. They got that far, they want to finish it.

Oh, I'm sure the players and coaches would be keen to play given the opportunity. I'm just giving my opinion, after two months of rust it would be a joke to suddenly play out those final games. I do not think the season can be completed in any credible way now. 

3 hours ago, BoHogg said:

You're not the only one.  Not only is sports a wash, so is the school year. 

Will finish school stuff online. Been homeschooling mine on my week off. Golf for math, tv on mute with closed captioning for readying.... built a fire for science.. history channel for history. 

While I applaud TAPPS and the UIL for having great plans in place and preparing multiple options in case we return to action, I just do not see us playing again.  Believe me, I hope this is not the case, but the liability all of these schools face if they bring kids back to early is going to force them to play it more than safe.

I hope I'm wrong, but common sense tells me we are done.

The 2019-20 school year was officially over when state testing was waived.  Districts will pretend to transition to online learning but the digital divide will make that impossible to enforce.  I don't see anything approaching a normal graduation ceremony this year.  We're all hoping for miracles, but for now, miracle thinking could be a return to normalcy in time to stage a 2020 football season which, if my math is correct, is on the clock as 133 days away.

As the parent of a senior, we have really had to consider all that this effects.  Prom, Graduation, Athletic Gala, etc.  In addition, we (she) was set to try out for cheer at Mississippi State in May, which has now been postponed/rescheduled.  Lots of changes, but we are going to make it!