Season Over?

Ronster23

It does seem unlikely that UIL or school will resume anytime soon. I really do feel for the Seniors.

A guy said something the other day that gave me a little perspective. He said the good news is they get to be home after graduation. My “Senior trip” was to Vietnam, he graduated HS in 1969. 
At least you have them with you. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ronstopable said:

A guy said something the other day that gave me a little perspective. He said the good news is they get to be home after graduation. My “Senior trip” was to Vietnam, he graduated HS in 1969. 
At least you have them with you. 

My old man said something along similar lines...  he went to prom but skipped graduation, and his senior trip was the tail end of Operation Delaware with the First Air Cav. Then Signal Hill, and then Saigon...  

I reckon I can handle a little "social distancing."

• Like 1

I finally have what I firmly believe to be reliable info from a high school softball coach. She said they were told by UIL if they are unable to play games prior to May 10th all spring sports are cancelled. If they are able to resume by then there will be a district tournament, then only top 2 teams make playoffs and playoff rounds will all be one game only.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 9:58 AM, Texski said:

I finally have what I firmly believe to be reliable info from a high school softball coach. She said they were told by UIL if they are unable to play games prior to May 10th all spring sports are cancelled. If they are able to resume by then there will be a district tournament, then only top 2 teams make playoffs and playoff rounds will all be one game only.

Nothing has been decided or sent out.  Pure speculation on your sources part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Sounds logical. The UiL will most likely go that direction. 

1. Time ( we will have things figured out by then) 

2. Good way to finish 

I hope for the Seniors that the season happens. 

How do you know? Give us that "insider" info you know please sir?

On 3/26/2020 at 9:58 AM, Texski said:

Sounds like a pretty good plan.   Hope it’s able to happen.    

3 hours ago, TheGodfather said:

Gonna be hard to restart competition when so many districts statewide have already announced they are closed for the school year...

What districts have announced this?   Districts cannot just decide to close for the year.  Must go thru the TEA and most likely will be a blanket decision for all school across the state.

Do I think we will be back in school this year?   NO, I don’t.   It’s unfortunate but necessary in my   opinion.

Really beginning to think this might affect the start of school for next year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bignasty said:

What districts have announced this?   Districts cannot just decide to close for the year.  Must go thru the TEA and most likely will be a blanket decision for all school across the state.

Do I think we will be back in school this year?   NO, I don’t.   It’s unfortunate but necessary in my   opinion.

A lot in big cities have announced they are closing indefinitely and doing online only. Basically means they dont think they will be back. But adding indefinitely at least gives them the option to come back if things slow down. 

1 hour ago, bignasty said:

I know Rio Grande City has, and there are others I’ve seen but can’t quite remember. 

Certainly TEA would need to be consulted but with local control I doubt their approval would actually be needed. 

I agree that we will likely not return to school this year. 

4 hours ago, TheGodfather said:

Gonna be hard to restart competition when so many districts statewide have already announced they are closed for the school year...

Name them please. They are not shutdown. Delayed? Sure. But you cannot do that unless it comes from the top. I'm a school board member.

Sorry but that is #fakenews

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Name them please. They are not shutdown. Delayed? Sure. But you cannot do that unless it comes from the top. I'm a school board member.

Sorry but that is #fakenews

https://foxnewssouthtexas.com/rio-grande-city-closes-campuses-school-year/

1st in the state I think.   There will be some following would be my guess.

• Thumbs Down 1

There is a different between closing school buildings and cancelling school.

As close to the end of the school year as it is, everyone will be doing as much as possbile to finish the year however they can. It is not about thinking that they will be back -- they won't have time if they shut everything down for a month. Kids can't wait until July or August to finish this academic year.

It certainly does not look good for the seasons to continue. I thought it was a bad sign the UIL skipped over all of April in the second update. I think they will do a final update and say that if they can't start competition on Monday, March 18, then everything is cancelled. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ran into a student the other day. He is a senior on the baseball team and we aren't bad. High expectations for this year's team. He was asking if we were going back and if they were going to be able to play the season out...Told him that I didn't have those answers. Told him I'm just plugging work online until I get the next piece of information. Hopefully we can get them back on the field, but it feels more and more doubtful each day...

May 4 is now the date that this shutdown extends to

I was wondering if UIL officials might work on a tentative short season for Baseball and Track.

Even extend into the summer. If it doesn't work out where it cannot be used what have they lost but a little time which they should have plenty of on their hands now.

I know some coaches would vote to stop and not have to do anything same for some of those  

Focus should be on starting next school year on time. I don’t think it will. I’m thinking a delay in start by like a month or so. 

It’s a bummer too. Our baseball team was more competitive than normal and our track teams were primed to make noise at state.