Season Over?

Ronster23

13 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

Like what?

Of course, the all clear would have to be given from Covid-19. Schools could look at starting the last week in July. Move to a 9 week cycle, in lieu of six weeks. (Makes cleaner does breaks) The year would end last week of May.

Advantage of this? We are going to see regression in students. With the traditional summer break we do already. Teachers are doing their best with packets and online learning, but lets be real, it’s just not the same. This would get the students back in the classroom ASAP.

This calendar would not change the number of days a teacher works already, but a first year teachers first check is usually in September. This of course could cause challenges due to how districts are funded. You could break their salary into 13 checks the first year, but with some of the smaller districts, those checks won’t be huge.

Coaches and band directors would have to adjust how they do things, but right now we can’t be afraid of change.  For example, two-a-days, one practice before school and one after?? 

I do not know if anyone is looking at doing this, but it is an example of one way it could be done.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dawgman said:

Of course, the all clear would have to be given from Covid-19. Schools could look at starting the last week in July. Move to a 9 week cycle, in lieu of six weeks. (Makes cleaner does breaks) The year would end last week of May.

Advantage of this? We are going to see regression in students. With the traditional summer break we do already. Teachers are doing their best with packets and online learning, but lets be real, it’s just not the same. This would get the students back in the classroom ASAP.

This calendar would not change the number of days a teacher works already, but a first year teachers first check is usually in September. This of course could cause challenges due to how districts are funded. You could break their salary into 13 checks the first year, but with some of the smaller districts, those checks won’t be huge.

Coaches and band directors would have to adjust how they do things, but right now we can’t be afraid of change.  For example, two-a-days, one practice before school and one after?? 

I do not know if anyone is looking at doing this, but it is an example of one way it could be done.

You’re basically talking about year round school or a version of it? Where are the breaks? Why would you start at the end of July? 

12 minutes ago, betweentheposts said:

This will not happen!

Not saying it will, just an idea. It’s being floated around more than you think. Four months out of school will lead to academic regression and coaches want to get their kids back ASAP. Districts that are Districts of Innovation have flexibility in their calendar and start date.

Doing this would allow a quick 3-5 week review of the previous grade level to try and fill in the educational gaps created. 

22 minutes ago, betweentheposts said:

This will not happen!

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/29/latonya-goffney-coronavirus-texas-event/

Dr. Gofney discusses that changes in the district calendar are on the table. This is Aldine ISD. She doesn’t go into details of what changes she is looking at. 

The plan I spoke of was discussed in a Zoom meeting of Superintendents. I have just completed my certification and was completing observation hours. 

8 hours ago, Dawgman said:

Not saying it will, just an idea. It’s being floated around more than you think. Four months out of school will lead to academic regression and coaches want to get their kids back ASAP. Districts that are Districts of Innovation have flexibility in their calendar and start date.

Doing this would allow a quick 3-5 week review of the previous grade level to try and fill in the educational gaps created. 

Coaches can get their kids back during the summer, as long as the government says no more social distancing, etc. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 9:28 AM, LOL said:

My old man said something along similar lines...  he went to prom but skipped graduation, and his senior trip was the tail end of Operation Delaware with the First Air Cav. Then Signal Hill, and then Saigon...  

I reckon I can handle a little "social distancing."

Had I known how boring my graduation ceremony would be I would have skipped it, and let them mail me my diploma.  I think it's more for the parents from my experience.  I really  don't think the online schooling is a good idea.  It would be an open book test for every exam.  I mentioned this to WHF, but I would truly like to know if grades go up this six weeks, and the final six weeks.  I have a hunch they will, unless the students are lazy or simply don't care.  Hopefully this month long stay in place will work, and we can get back to normal.  I still think it's going to take either a vaccine or our own immune systems to become resistant to this virus.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dillonpanthers said:

Will be interested to see what Abbott put out this coming week in his new order. This could effect the UIL/summer conditioning, etc. 

Will have to do with business’ is what I’m thinking. Schools are done for the year. Hate it for the seniors but it’s probably for the best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagleborn said:

Will have to do with business’ is what I’m thinking. Schools are done for the year. Hate it for the seniors but it’s probably for the best. 

Then he needs to announce that with this statement.  You're probably right. But no reason to drag it out if he is going to close them. 

52 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Then he needs to announce that with this statement.  You're probably right. But no reason to drag it out if he is going to close them. 

will schools being done for the year be announced by Abbot or by the TEA?  Either way, I don't care.  It's harder teaching from home that it is to teach in person... Mainly because I am teaching my class from home then teaching 3 of my 5 kids as well...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

will schools being done for the year be announced by Abbot or by the TEA?  Either way, I don't care.  It's harder teaching from home that it is to teach in person... Mainly because I am teaching my class from home then teaching 3 of my 5 kids as well...

Abbott announced the last closure, that schools would be closed through May 4.