RENT STRIKE ???

BlahBlah

56 minutes ago, BlahBlah said:

Since people have been laid off or furloughed in record number this month.  Do you do a rent forgiveness ?  What about the landlords ?  

https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/news/rent-strike-idea-gaining-steam-during-coronavirus-crisis/

Be careful accepting “freebies” from Uncle Sugar; They come with a hook in them Everytime...🐠🐠🐠

• Like 1

I know the Cheesecake factory has said it's not going to pay it's rent.  https://la.eater.com/2020/3/25/21194144/cheesecake-factory-rent-strike-chain-restaurant .  What are people supposed to do ?  I'm worried about my property taxes.  As I've stated on here before in Harris Co. they are $416 a month based on last years tax statements.  As I've said if this house was in Smith Co. my taxes would be about $1200 based on the property taxes I once paid there.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

I know the Cheesecake factory has said it's not going to pay it's rent.  https://la.eater.com/2020/3/25/21194144/cheesecake-factory-rent-strike-chain-restaurant .  What are people supposed to do ?  I'm worried about my property taxes.  As I've stated on here before in Harris Co. they are $416 a month based on last years tax statements.  As I've said if this house was in Smith Co. my taxes would be about $1200 based on the property taxes I once paid there.  

So they are going to use the kitchens and let people do pickups but not pay rent?

I thought that instead of a stimulus package, they should have deferred rent/mortgage electricity plumbing etc for 1 month.  

Mortgage would be the easiest since this month’s payment could be moved to the back end of the loan.  The problem would really come from ATT etc with the amount of money they would lose.  

I don’t think the government should have to “stimulate the economy” by giving us money when we already owe someone billions...  let nature take its course.  Provide assistance, but don’t give anything away...

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

I thought that instead of a stimulus package, they should have deferred rent/mortgage electricity plumbing etc for 1 month.  

Mortgage would be the easiest since this month’s payment could be moved to the back end of the loan.  The problem would really come from ATT etc with the amount of money they would lose.  

I don’t think the government should have to “stimulate the economy” by giving us money when we already owe someone billions...  let nature take its course.  Provide assistance, but don’t give anything away...

I wonder if there is a way to opt out of receiving this money? I am not rich, but I have a Savings Account which I can get by on for awhile. I would rather not have a government handout deposited into my account against my Will. I haven’t asked for it, & I would rather the money go to someone else who NEEDS it.

18 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Or you could take that money and give it to food banks and charities of all types out there, maybe your local house of worship...or schools would take it, I am fairly sure. 

I have donated beans, rice, canned vegetables, etc in the past. Despite what some here believe about me, I care about people who cannot help themselves; However, I have NO USE for those who are able bodied but Refuse to work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I wonder if there is a way to opt out of receiving this money? I am not rich, but I have a Savings Account which I can get by on for awhile. I would rather not have a government handout deposited into my account against my Will. I haven’t asked for it, & I would rather the money go to someone else who NEEDS it.

It’s your money anyways. Just take it and add to your savings. I deferred my mortgage just because I could save some cash for my savings. Neither me or my wife lost a job but hey, cash is king.

3 minutes ago, Youngcoach123 said:

It’s your money anyways. Just take it and add to your savings. I deferred my mortgage just because I could save some cash for my savings. Neither me or my wife lost a job but hey, cash is king.

I’m not sure “Uncle Sugar” would agree with your assertion. If/when he ever makes such a proclamation as to whose money it is, I might feel less reluctant to take the bait he is offering; As I said earlier, When the Government “gives” you something, there’s usually a hook in it.

3 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I’m not sure “Uncle Sugar” would agree with your assertion. If/when he ever makes such a proclamation as to whose money it is, I might feel less reluctant to take the bait he is offering; As I said earlier, When the Government “gives” you something, there’s usually a hook in it.

I justify it being my money by looking how much they took from me. I am receiving way less than that so I just say it’s my money they are giving back. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

Or you could take that money and give it to food banks and charities of all types out there, maybe your local house of worship...or schools would take it, I am fairly sure. 

Have you ever seen Carthage’s Schools, our Stadium, our Indoor Practice Facility, or our cool red & white school buses? We Carthage folk contribute plenty already; not Complaining, just saying...

2 hours ago, Youngcoach123 said:

I would defer payment on mine, but it’s literally the first payment due lol.  Just moved in Feb 28...  April 1 is the due date for our 1st payment.  I feel like it would be weird and shady to defer our first payment 

5 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I would defer payment on mine, but it’s literally the first payment due lol.  Just moved in Feb 28...  April 1 is the due date for our 1st payment.  I feel like it would be weird and shady to defer our first payment 

Feelings don’t matter when money is involved. And it never hurts to ask

12 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Have you ever seen Carthage’s Schools, our Stadium, our Indoor Practice Facility, or our cool red & white school buses? We Carthage folk contribute plenty already; not Complaining, just saying...

What about the education part?  Teachers buying school supplies with their own money ?  Technology up to date ?  etc....

13 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

The hook is already set.  You can either enjoy the bait or just take the bare hook....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

So they are going to use the kitchens and let people do pickups but not pay rent?

I assure you, they're not making much money at this time.  I've been up to my place of employment since I've been furloughed and I'd say they're barely making enough money to pay for the staff and utilities.  I'm not even counting how much food they've thrown away.  At least they gave me two salmon steaks when I went there, but I was hoping for some chicken or steak.  Beggars can't be choosers and I accepted with a gracious heart. 

22 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I've always wondered what the cost is to provide internet and cell phone use is.  I know they have to pay staff that usually can't solve your problem.  I know it can't be much for the internet.  i understand with cable, because they have to pay for programming.  I know they've jacked up prices recently on the internet, but I've never looked into that aspect of the cost.  It seems like it would be minimal.  With sports being cancelled it seems to me that the networks could suspend their television contracts since they can't show anything.  They could from prior seasons if they still have the footage, and I know that's what some of the networks are doing already.  I would love to go back and watch every game of the 1970, 1975, 1977, 1992, 1993, and 1995 seasons again.  I could the 1992 season if my VCR tapes are still in good enough condition, but they're out in the garage somewhere.  

21 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I have donated beans, rice, canned vegetables, etc in the past. Despite what some here believe about me, I care about people who cannot help themselves; However, I have NO USE for those who are able bodied but Refuse to work.

Good luck finding a job right now if your unemployed.   I do about anything right now to bring in income.  I went to sell plasma last week, and there were so many people there that I didn't want to risk being infected.  I haven't done that since I was living on my own when I was out of high school.  I hate needles, but I'm willing to do what I have to do to make money to an extent.  I'd mow lawns if I could, but nobody is paying anyone to do their landscaping right now with the time on their hands to do it themselves.  Plus, I live in Houston where if you go knock on a neighbors door if they don't know you they don't answer.   it's not like neighbors know each other like we did when I was a kid.  As The Doors once sang "Strange Days" have found us.  

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Youngcoach123 said:

I justify it being my money by looking how much they took from me. I am receiving way less than that so I just say it’s my money they are giving back. 🤷‍♂️

If I had the money I would reject the stimulus check as I did in 2001.   Even then, I was concerned with the deficit.  Now I need it, so I'm going to gladly accept it, and be grateful.  I run a tight budget, and I know how much I need to survive.  I don't like this extension of being out of work until the end of April.  I have enough food, but I don't to pay for everything else.  What if they extend this shutdown as Toronto has done ?  At least my body is donated to science to watch it decompose, so I don't have to worry about funeral costs.  That is if they have the money to come and retrieve it.  https://www.tribuneledgernews.com/local_news/state_and_national/the-latest-toronto-cancels-public-events-through-june-30/article_1763a9d2-a71c-5730-9cb2-a32277cf7917.html