Stay at home orders legal?

Youngcoach123

I think they are, but as the article says the States have that power, and it has not been contested in any court of law.  What is strange is I had only read of social distancing being practiced in a few cities and the entire State of California.  However, now that we're knee deep in it.  I'm seeing articles that almost every city was.  https://qz.com/1816060/a-chart-of-the-1918-spanish-flu-shows-why-social-distancing-works/ .   If this were the case then why were all major sporting events still held ?  the 1918 MLB season was only cut short, and it wasn't because of the virus, but because of WW I.  Why wasn't this practiced before with other major outbreaks such as the 1957 Asian Flu, the 1968 Hong Kong Flu, the 1976 Swine Flu panic, etc. etc. ??  Not until now was it practiced.  Yet the National Geographic states that it was as well, and shows graphs for every major city in America during that time.  It sounds fishy to me.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

I think they are, but as the article says the States have that power, and it has not been contested in any court of law.  What is strange is I had only read of social distancing being practiced in a few cities and the entire State of California.  However, now that we're knee deep in it.  I'm seeing articles that almost every city was.  https://qz.com/1816060/a-chart-of-the-1918-spanish-flu-shows-why-social-distancing-works/ .   If this were the case then why were all major sporting events still held ?  the 1918 MLB season was only cut short, and it wasn't because of the virus, but because of WW I.  Why wasn't this practiced before with other major outbreaks such as the 1957 Asian Flu, the 1968 Hong Kong Flu, the 1976 Swine Flu panic, etc. etc. ??  Not until now was it practiced.  Yet the National Geographic states that it was as well, and shows graphs for every major city in America during that time.  It sounds fishy to me.  

The enforcement is lax though. A law/order is only as good as the enforcement. Until they actually declare martial law, I’m not sure they can legally make you do anything. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Youngcoach123 said:

The enforcement is lax though. A law/order is only as good as the enforcement. Until they actually declare martial law, I’m not sure they can legally make you do anything. 

There is not enough manpower to enforce this order completely; For Instance, last weekend, we heard that Louisiana was “closed” & that he people could not leave without repercussions... Louisiana & Texas are separated in one area by Toledo Bend Reservoir. What keeps people from going from one side to the other? 

8 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

There is not enough manpower to enforce this order completely; For Instance, last weekend, we heard that Louisiana was “closed” & that he people could not leave without repercussions... Louisiana & Texas are separated in one area by Toledo Bend Reservoir. What keeps people from going from one side to the other? 

Right! They would have to shut down I-20 also. They ain’t doing that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hagar said:

Due to my not staying home enough early in my marriage (Golf & beer was to much fun), I've been under a Stay at Home order for many years.   Cest la vie.  

In other words you're grounded ... :rofl:

• Sad 1

On 3/31/2020 at 6:44 PM, CarthDawg77 said:

I think they could on major highways, it's the backroads that it would be hard to enforce.  I haven't been on a major highway in two weeks so I'm not sure how traffic is between many towns and cities.  I saw yesterday that a truck bringing toilet paper had a wreck and caught on fire is traffic really that heavy on I-20 ?  I'd sort of like to know, but I'm not wasting any gas regardless of how cheap it is to find out for myself.  Let's say someone has Louisiana license plates, but they were here before the border was closed would they have to prove they were without being quarantined ?  They couldn't prove they were innocent in a court of law, because many of them are closed.  I also don't see how they can implement martial law they would need patrols in every city town etc..  We don't have enough troops to pull that off.  Think about how large the Houston and DFW area are.  They would need 50,000+ troops in each city with the aid of law enforcement, plus people still have to eat and purchase personal hygiene products.  Shoot I used to take two showers a day, but now I'm done to 1 out of 3 days.  

45 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I think they could on major highways, it's the backroads that it would be hard to enforce.  I haven't been on a major highway in two weeks so I'm not sure how traffic is between many towns and cities.  I saw yesterday that a truck bringing toilet paper had a wreck and caught on fire is traffic really that heavy on I-20 ?  I'd sort of like to know, but I'm not wasting any gas regardless of how cheap it is to find out for myself.  Let's say someone has Louisiana license plates, but they were here before the border was closed would they have to prove they were without being quarantined ?  They couldn't prove they were innocent in a court of law, because many of them are closed.  I also don't see how they can implement martial law they would need patrols in every city town etc..  We don't have enough troops to pull that off.  Think about how large the Houston and DFW area are.  They would need 50,000+ troops in each city with the aid of law enforcement, plus people still have to eat and purchase personal hygiene products.  Shoot I used to take two showers a day, but now I'm done to 1 out of 3 days.  

DeSoto Parish, Louisiana had over 200 deputies a few years back, Dave... I don’t know their numbers now, but I was shocked when I heard that....

3 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

I work in Shreveport and there is an increased presence of state troopers in Waskom, but I've only seen 2 have people pulled over. 

That’s because they can’t shutdown I-20! The traffic would be backed up to Mississippi after two days lol

11 minutes ago, Youngcoach123 said:

That’s because they can’t shutdown I-20! The traffic would be backed up to Mississippi after two days lol

It wouldn't be if people were actually following these stay at home orders.

3 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

It wouldn't be if people were actually following these stay at home orders.

Too many essential workers traveling. They would have to cut down on what’s essential first.
If they start stopping mass movement amongst the population it will turn ugly quick. 

Just now, Youngcoach123 said:

Too many essential workers traveling. They would have to cut down on what’s essential first.
If they start stopping mass movement amongst the population it will turn ugly quick. 

I agree. It blows my mind some of the things that are considered essential.

It may not be legal, but it is the intellectual thing to do. Anyone with any  common sense should realize that if you starve the virus it will go away much quicker.

For all of you that won't stay at home I say &%$#(*&*%$#.

35 minutes ago, mellon said:

It may not be legal, but it is the intellectual thing to do. Anyone with any  common sense should realize that if you starve the virus it will go away much quicker.

The difference is advising people to stay home vs trying to make them. That’s what makes it illegal imo. In a perfect world the ones who stayed home would be fine, and the ones who didn’t would come I contact with the virus. 

8 hours ago, mellon said:

It will still be there, it will simply go dormant for a while.  This won't be the last case of this as proven in the History of illnesses.  Even the Black Plague still exists to this day it last hit Madagascar in 2014.  Humans still haven't built up a resistance to the flu virus, and why it attacks every year.  I fear the same with this, unless we can develop our immune systems to combat it.