Hope all my smoakies are feeling well

mightyeagle

I'm fine physically, but mentally I feel like I'm living in a Twilight Zone.  I only go out when I have to, but I will go get me a daily Dr. Pepper at the convenience store.  What's strange is none of my friends on facebook have come down with this nor have any of their families or friends to my knowledge.  I'd like to know if any of you know of someone who has contracted the virus.  I know how to keep from being infected, and I don't wear a mask or gloves.  I do stay away from people however, wash my hands, and practice good hygiene.  I will cough every now and then, but that's clearing my lungs of all the pollen in the air.  I worry that I won't ever do that around people, but it only happens about twice a day at that.  

Was just discussing this with some co-workers. None of the 4 of us know anybody that has this. For me I'm counting all family, friends, friends of friends, co-workers, work clients spanning the states of NY, PA, VA, NC, IL, MN, GA, AL, MS. LA, NM, CA, CO, UT, OR, WA and the great state of TX. This includes at least 500+ people and nobody affected. I know the virus is real but this is just odd and something to think about,

4 hours ago, Texski said:

Was just discussing this with some co-workers. None of the 4 of us know anybody that has this. For me I'm counting all family, friends, friends of friends, co-workers, work clients spanning the states of NY, PA, VA, NC, IL, MN, GA, AL, MS. LA, NM, CA, CO, UT, OR, WA and the great state of TX. This includes at least 500+ people and nobody affected. I know the virus is real but this is just odd and something to think about,

What I find strange is even in rural areas some of them don't have any sick, and some that do it starts off with 1 or as in the case with Fort Bend Co. all 6 had been on the Nile cruise together.  I would think that most of the initial infections were people that had traveled, came back didn't have any symptoms, and started going out and doing things among other people.  I would bet that this virus changes the way we travel abroad in the future.  Something along the lines of being cleared medically before you can step on a plane, train, bus, or cruise ship.  It's going to make travelling a lot more expensive.  

I am curious as to how this will affect my job long-term.  No fear of losing my job but how it is performed.  I fly around 100,000 miles per year including flights domestically and globally.  Some countries that I fly to require some shots so I always carry my immunization record with me for such cases.  There are also some countries that would take your temperature as you were going through immigration.  China and South Africa has been doing this off and on for years.

There are also some flights that once all of the passengers are on the plane the flight attendants will walk through the plane spraying a fumigating aerosol.  Again, this has been a long-standing practice for some countries.

5 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I am curious as to how this will affect my job long-term.  No fear of losing my job but how it is performed.  I fly around 100,000 miles per year including flights domestically and globally.  Some countries that I fly to require some shots so I always carry my immunization record with me for such cases.  There are also some countries that would take your temperature as you were going through immigration.  China and South Africa has been doing this off and on for years.

There are also some flights that once all of the passengers are on the plane the flight attendants will walk through the plane spraying a fumigating aerosol.  Again, this has been a long-standing practice for some countries.

I predict that will become a common practice for all countries.  I can see it even happening with domestic flights.  I realize that it hasn't been done with trains, because many don't use that form of transportation for travel anymore.  Cruise lines will be different however, because of the several viruses that have made people sick, and some have died from them.  That was even happening before the Wuhan Virus.  

53 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Gas prices will effect my job more than this will. Can’t wait for $2 a gallon again. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

We got our essential employee paperwork. Well atleast I do. 

I got paperwork for Texas and Louisiana. Also for some reason Ohio and Pennsylvania also. Count me out for them last two lol

3 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Are they stopping vehicles crossing the state line on I-20? ...

I’ve seen about 22 state troopers this week in Waskom. 2 had cars pulled over. Most of them are parked in the rest area. 

13 hours ago, Crawford said:

Lowest prices since before Katrina hit in '05.

I'm thinking these prices are back to the 80's levels.  I don't remember gas prices being under $2 pre 2000-2017.  I paid $1.49 yesterday, but I heard people in Longview are paying $1.35, but that has to be with some rewards program.  

2 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Are they stopping vehicles crossing the state line on I-20? ...

I work in Waskom and live in Joaquin. I haven’t seen them pull anyone over at either border, nor have I heard of anyone being pulled over. This is on Highway 80 in Waskom and on 84 in Joaquin. This is with troopers out of two different offices as well. 

17 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I work in Waskom and live in Joaquin. I haven’t seen them pull anyone over at either border, nor have I heard of anyone being pulled over. This is on Highway 80 in Waskom and on 84 in Joaquin. This is with troopers out of two different offices as well. 

I was wondering how they were handling situations where people work out of state or have relatives across the state line ... I'm  sure a lot of people have legitimate reasons for crossing the border ....

22 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I was wondering how they were handling situations where people work out of state or have relatives across the state line ... I'm  sure a lot of people have legitimate reasons for crossing the border ....

This past week was my afternoon schedule so I left work every night after 10. Most nights I was the only car going through Waskom and I usually saw 2 state troopers. I expected to get pulled over and in a way I wanted them to stop me. I guess I just want to see them enforcing it more. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

This past week was my afternoon schedule so I left work every night after 10. Most nights I was the only car going through Waskom and I usually saw 2 state troopers. I expected to get pulled over and in a way I wanted them to stop me. I guess I just want to see them enforcing it more. 

Talked to a guy that’s been pulled over twice. And he knows a few that’s been pulled over in Bethany. 

Just now, Eagleborn said:

Talked to a guy that’s been pulled over twice. And he knows a few that’s been pulled over in Bethany. 

I figure they probably hitting the back roads more trying to catch people thinking they can sneak through. 

49 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Really important ESSENTIAL personnel like myself have been issued letters from our employers stating how vital our presence is.