Mr. P

Any of y'all even heard of this show? No? Okayyyy...

Do you like "it's Always Sunny In Philadelphia?" Imagine that same kind of concept, except it involves a buncha Canadian rednecks, emo geek meth-heads, and hockey jocks. 

Or maybe imagine Trailer Park Boys mixed with Seinfeld (with a dash of subtle Kevin Smith pop-culture references? 

The first few minutes of the first episode is a pretty good litmus test.

If you like this, you'll love the series. If this doesn't do anything for you, then feel free to move along... 

• Thanks 1

• Mr. P changed the title to Letterkenny?

I used to belong to their fansite on facebook, but it got old.  All they  wanted to talk about was grill marks.  Maybe if they used more Canadian slang or were funny like Bob and Doug McKenzie I would have liked it, but it's dry humor at best.  I watched several of the episodes, and a couple were funny, but over all I give it a D.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I used to belong to their fansite on facebook, but it got old.  All they  wanted to talk about was grill marks.  Maybe if they used more Canadian slang or were funny like Bob and Doug McKenzie I would have liked it, but it's dry humor at best.  I watched several of the episodes, and a couple were funny, but over all I give it a D.  

Yeah, the memes can get old and repetitive. I'm enjoying the show though. I guess it's just my kind of twisted depraved dry humor.  :D 

That’s whats I appreciates about you LOL. Your great taste in entertainment. One of the best ensemble casts on TV. Super soft birthdays. The skids. Degens.Bonnie McMurray. Gail. Barb!!! Shoresy. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

That’s whats I appreciates about you LOL. Your great taste in entertainment. One of the best ensemble casts on TV. Super soft birthdays. The skids. Degens.Bonnie McMurray. Gail. Barb!!! Shoresy. 

I will still use some of the jargon for the show like your spare parts aren't you or  allegedly.  Another thing is if I see someone post a picture of a steak, I'll say they're a degen for not having grill marks.  I still say "Squirrely" Dan is from East Texas.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
13 hours ago, Stoney said:

Season 9 went by fast. Definitely going to have to rewatch it. Hopefully they can crank out another season this year. 

Yeah...  I wasn't terribly impressed. Seemed pretty hit and miss for the most part, but really started to tighten up toward the end. 

The show is at its best when it's least aware of itself. Too much of the time was spent referencing old memes and scenes, instead of creating new ones. The pacing is also frenetic, increasingly so with each season. The first few seasons were more gradual. Now it seems like they're just trying to set up one viral moment after the next, instead of letting them develop naturally. 

I wonder if Jared Keeso/Jacob Tierney were rushing to get it done (due to COVID), which resulted in a sloppier finished product, because that's how it comes off. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LOL said:

Yeah...  I wasn't terribly impressed. Seemed pretty hit and miss for the most part, but really started to tighten up toward the end. 

The show is at its best when it's least aware of itself. Too much of the time was spent referencing old memes and scenes, instead of creating new ones. The pacing is also frenetic, increasingly so with each season. The first few seasons were more gradual. Now it seems like they're just trying to set up one viral moment after the next, instead of letting them develop naturally. 

I wonder if Jared Keeso/Jacob Tierney were rushing to get it done (due to COVID), which resulted in a sloppier finished product, because that's how it comes off. 

I got to the season finale and was like that was it? That last scene was really out of the blue. The one guy showing up in the bar was totally out of the blue but the girl in the parking lot was a huge why? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I got to the season finale and was like that was it? That last scene was really out of the blue. The one guy showing up in the bar was totally out of the blue but the girl in the parking lot was a huge why? 

Exactly! I actually re-watched the entire episode immediately after, because I assumed I'd accidentally skipped through an important scene that set it up. Nope, I didn't miss anything: they didn't set it up. 

That's the thing about a surprise/twist ending, you have to get the audience going one direction in order for them to be shocked when you go the other direction. It's like the counter-trey: what throws the defense off is that the halfback and the quarterback are going one way while the linemen are pulling the other. It doesn't work if everyone is moving straight ahead and you just randomly pitch it outside with no lead blocking. The back is gonna get killed. 

I feel like Keeso/Tierney wanted to set up some kinda big season-ending twist reveal by showing Wayne and Rosie as having this idyllic relationship, only to throw a wrench into the works right at the end. But it's not earned. There's no real tension between Wayne and Rosie, so why is Marie-Fred showing up a problem? Hell, I run into ex-girlfriends all the time. Doesn't mean I'm gonna suddenly dump my wife and run off with them. It'd be one thing if the show had been dropping little bits of tension here and there, maybe even have Wayne/Rosie get into a fight earlier in the season. But nope. Just a random attempt at a season-ending twist that just comes off as a WTF moment more than anything else.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LOL said:

Exactly! I actually re-watched the entire episode immediately after, because I assumed I'd accidentally skipped through an important scene that set it up. Nope, I didn't miss anything: they didn't set it up. 

That's the thing about a surprise/twist ending, you have to get the audience going one direction in order for them to be shocked when you go the other direction. It's like the counter-trey: what throws the defense off is that the halfback and the quarterback are going one way while the linemen are pulling the other. It doesn't work if everyone is moving straight ahead and you just randomly pitch it outside with no lead blocking. The back is gonna get killed. 

I feel like Keeso/Tierney wanted to set up some kinda big season-ending twist reveal by showing Wayne and Rosie as having this idyllic relationship, only to throw a wrench into the works right at the end. But it's not earned. There's no real tension between Wayne and Rosie, so why is Marie-Fred showing up a problem? Hell, I run into ex-girlfriends all the time. Doesn't mean I'm gonna suddenly dump my wife and run off with them. It'd be one thing if the show had been dropping little bits of tension here and there, maybe even have Wayne/Rosie get into a fight earlier in the season. But nope. Just a random attempt at a season-ending twist that just comes off as a WTF moment more than anything else.  

They are usually pretty good at setting things up. There will be some small thing that doesn’t seem important but by the end of the season it was a crucial piece to the story. 

Is it setting up a Daryl/Katy thing? I thought that was how that one scene was going when they were in the bed. Plus the deal how all season there was nobody in town worth dating? That’s the only thing I can think of why both their exes show up and happen to be dating. 

Maybe it’s because of the Covid forcing them to rush things? It was a mixed bag of characters during certain episodes. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Is it setting up a Daryl/Katy thing? I thought that was how that one scene was going when they were in the bed. Plus the deal how all season there was nobody in town worth dating? That’s the only thing I can think of why both their exes show up and happen to be dating. 

Maybe it’s because of the Covid forcing them to rush things? It was a mixed bag of characters during certain episodes. 

Maybe...  but I still feel like the overall plot/character development in Season 9 pales in comparison to previous seasons. 

I also feel like Letterkenny fell into an SNL-like tendency to make some of the fast-paced comedy bits go on waaay too long, even to the point of becoming cringe. The season-opening Katie rap especially. Good lord, I didn't even make it halfway through that. Serious cringe. 

Don't get me wrong, it's still better than 9/10ths of the crap that's out there now, but I guess it's a victim of its own innovation. Even the great Seinfeld started to seem "meh" toward the end. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LOL said:

Maybe...  but I still feel like the overall plot/character development in Season 9 pales in comparison to previous seasons. 

I also feel like Letterkenny fell into an SNL-like tendency to make some of the fast-paced comedy bits go on waaay too long, even to the point of becoming cringe. The season-opening Katie rap especially. Good lord, I didn't even make it halfway through that. Serious cringe. 

Don't get me wrong, it's still better than 9/10ths of the crap that's out there now, but I guess it's a victim of its own innovation. Even the great Seinfeld started to seem "meh" toward the end. 

That's what happened with SOAP as well, but it only lasted 4 seasons.  The first three were genius, and then it was like the writers were grasping at straws and coming up with some of the craziest plots to keep it going. I loved that show, and own all of the seasons.  Even I cringed with the last season.  The first three seasons were pure genius, and I thought they were hilarious as a kid.  Also they lost Benson to his own spin off so that didn't help them either.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

That's what happened with SOAP as well, but it only lasted 4 seasons.  The first three were genius, and then it was like the writers were grasping at straws and coming up with some of the craziest plots to keep it going. I loved that show, and own all of the seasons.  Even I cringed with the last season.  The first three seasons were pure genius, and I thought they were hilarious as a kid.  Also they lost Benson to his own spin off so that didn't help them either.  

Yeah, you're right. I remember not catching a lot of the references when it came out originally, but later re-discovered the show in my early adult years and being blown away. It was really ahead of its time.