What Kinda Person Are You?

Stoney

11 minutes ago, Stoney said:

You get sent to the store to pick up ice cream, what are you getting? Me? I’m a 1,6, 9 guy.

EB55A62B-85DB-4D27-8303-E7DE1C00E69E.jpeg

When Blue Bell had that botulism scare a few years ago, I bought HEB’s 1905 Vanilla instead. & I’m never going back to Blue Bell!

FD505C15-5712-4B0C-92AA-923B2280F713.jpeg

How many of you remember the melorine they sold back in the 60s?  Affiliated Foods had vanilla,  chocolate, strawberry and neapolitan ... the Affiliated grocery store in Garrison would run an advertisement 3 for a $1 ...

Just now, KirtFalcon said:

How many of you remember the melorine they sold back in the 60s?  Affiliated Foods had vanilla,  chocolate, strawberry and neapolitan ... the Affiliated grocery store in Garrison would run an advertisement 3 for a $1 ...

My dad was a Affiliated grocer back in those days & I remember that...👌

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

My dad was a Affiliated grocer back in those days & I remember that...👌

I worked part time at the Afiliated Foods in Garrison from the time I was in the 7th grade through high school.  I started out sacking groceries and stocking the shelves.  During my high school days, after i was finished doing all my chores at home, i went by there every morning before school and restocked the produce rack.  I delivered groceries on Saturdays and worked some in the butcher shop.  My Dad was a butcher there for about 30 years ...

4 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I worked part time at the Afiliated Foods in Garrison from the time I was in the 7th grade through high school.  I started out sacking groceries and stocking the shelves.  During my high school days, after i was finished doing all my chores at home, i went by there every morning before school and restocked the produce rack.  I delivered groceries on Saturdays and worked some in the butcher shop.  My Dad was a butcher there for about 30 years ...

Your story & mine are quite similar! My dad was a butcher at Safeway and Brookshire Brothers before he went out on his own in 1962. 

I worked for him sacking groceries & working in the meat market & he taught me many things about butchering.

1 hour ago, CarthDawg77 said:

When Blue Bell had that botulism scare a few years ago, I bought HEB’s 1905 Vanilla instead. & I’m never going back to Blue Bell!

FD505C15-5712-4B0C-92AA-923B2280F713.jpeg

If we had a HEB around here I’d never spend a dollar at Brookshires.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I almost Never go to Brookshire’s; other Than for prescriptions. Highest priced store in town for groceries.

Our neck of the woods we have Brookshires or Walmart. There is a little country store but their prices are pretty close to Brookshire’s prices without the selection. It’s damned if you do, damned if you don’t. When we used to go to South Texas we’d hit up HEB. Pretty much everything you needed and stuff you didn’t even know you wanted in there. Clean and fresh.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I remember when most convenient stores back in the day had a butcher shop.  Those from the Pine Tree area may remember the Stop and Shop (aka Stop and Swipe by many students) my parents used to purchase discounted Six Flags tickets there they were $6.50 for a day back then, Fred's/Driggers/Tejas, and Thriftee Food store that doesn't exist anymore at Harrison Rd. and the Loop.  The only one still in existence is Tejas.  I also remember a place near in between Tyler and Chapel Hill that had one.  I would go there when it was open for nostalgia sake.  

Back on topic when I do buy ice cream it's Blue Bell's Pistachio Almond.  I usually buy them in the summer, but for some reason I get a hankering for one around Christmas as well.  

42 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I remember when most convenient stores back in the day had a butcher shop.  Those from the Pine Tree area may remember the Stop and Shop (aka Stop and Swipe by many students) my parents used to purchase discounted Six Flags tickets there they were $6.50 for a day back then, Fred's/Driggers/Tejas, and Thriftee Food store that doesn't exist anymore at Harrison Rd. and the Loop.  The only one still in existence is Tejas.  I also remember a place near in between Tyler and Chapel Hill that had one.  I would go there when it was open for nostalgia sake.  

Back on topic when I do buy ice cream it's Blue Bell's Pistachio Almond.  I usually buy them in the summer, but for some reason I get a hankering for one around Christmas as well.  

My Dad used to take us to Tyler and somewhere else when I was still living at home and we would go to the Tom Thumb and Piggly Wiggly grocery stores ... seems like it was Tyler but it could have been somewhere else.  As far as ice cream goes my favorite has to be Blue Bell butter pecan ....  I also love to make Dr Pepper floats with Blue Bell homemade vanilla.  When we visited my granny, she had two of those old hand crank ice cream makers ... she made peach and strawberry ice cream with real fruit mixed in.  Once in a while she would mix in chopped up butterfinger candy bars ... those were the days ...

35 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

My Dad used to take us to Tyler and somewhere else when I was still living at home and we would go to the Tom Thumb and Piggly Wiggly grocery stores ... seems like it was Tyler but it could have been somewhere else.  As far as ice cream goes my favorite has to be Blue Bell butter pecan ....  I also love to make Dr Pepper floats with Blue Bell homemade vanilla.  When we visited my granny, she had two of those old hand crank ice cream makers ... she made peach and strawberry ice cream with real fruit mixed in.  Once in a while she would mix in chopped up butterfinger candy bars ... those were the days ...

She missed out on those Butterfinger Blizzards that DQ has made Millions off of... She should’ve sued them!😜

• LOL! 1

22 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

The only Piggly Wiggly I ever remember was in Gilmer, TX.  I'm talking small convenience stores before 7-11 was big in the late 70's and 80's.  I remember when 7-11 had a warehouse on 271 North back in the day, until they went out of business in East Texas and Brookshire's took that location over.  The one's I'm talking about were Mom and Pop General Stores that had maybe 7-9 small aisles, a small produce section that would have only a few vegetables and fruits, but they always had a butcher shop.  It too was small usually only with a few items like ground beef, steaks, ribs, pork chops, sausage, summer sausage, and cut up chickens usually leg/thigh and breast/wing.  One thing I remember them having that I've only seen Kroger carry is stalks of sugar cane during the summer.  Those were better than Chick-o-sticks that were made in Lufkin, TX back in the day.  

Back to ice cream, my Granny always had Neapolitan Ice Cream in her "ice box".  I hated it because I'm one of those that don't like my food to touch other foods, except for a few.  My family also had a homemade ice cream machine.  During the summer if I didn't have baseball games to play in we would go to my Aunt and Uncles farm and harvest corn, dig potates (during the fall), onions, carrots, purple hulled peas, tomatoes, and other vegetables from their large gardens.  Then we'd come home, my parents always had to watch "Hee Haw" and "The Lawrence Welk Show" and then they'd start making ice cream after supper.  I hated shelling purple hulled peas, but what I would do again to go back in time and have some of that home made ice cream again.  

9 hours ago, Stoney said:

Homemade banana ice cream is still the best. We made a almond joy ice cream one time that was so rich you could feel the cavities coming on.

I hated it when my Momma would add banana's to my Daddy's ice cream.  The banana's were like freeze dried one's.  I suppose I was spoiled, because while making a batch she would take a couple of pints out for me just to have just vanilla.  

12 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Homemade peach ice cream and strawberry ice cream was the bomb .... especially made with fresh Jersey cow milk and eagle brand sweetened condensed milk  ...

th.jpeg-1.jpg.6f0bce93d5638920cc8576c4e360ba98.jpg

If I’m lying then I’m dying. One of my chores before school was to hand milk our jersey cow ,Patsy Cline. Had the stool, the five gallon bucket, the works. Hated it at the time but in hindsight, it was a cool experience. Not many folks can say they’ve done that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

1 2 6 kinda guy anyone is a 3 is weird. Mint shouldn’t be apart of Bluebell. Ex : Liberal loving America . Oxymoron at best LOL

Two scoops of Braum's mint chocolate chip in a waffle cone could change your mind.

35 minutes ago, Stoney said:

If I’m lying then I’m dying. One of my chores before school was to hand milk our jersey cow ,Patsy Cline. Had the stool, the five gallon bucket, the works. Hated it at the time but in hindsight, it was a cool experience. Not many folks can say they’ve done that.

We always had a milk cow my brother and I milked every morning.  Most of them were Jersey cows.  We also had a few Gurnsey cows ... both have very high butterfat content.  When we poured the milk into wide mouth gallon jars, about the top 1/3 was cream ... most people have never had this kind of milk.  My mother and grandmother churned and made butter.  They had square and round molds they put it in and wrapped it in waxed paper. Granny sold a lot of her butter and fresh eggs ...

My wife laughs at me when I talk about it ... she grew up on a large dairy farm and her and her 5 sisters did most of the milking ... her brother didn't milk but he did everything else on the farm ... Her dad had a literal plantation ... at one time, he had families of Mexicans that lived in farm houses he owned ... He had beef cows in 11 different places in addition to the dairy sawmill, crops, chicken houses, hogs and quail operation. He also raised catfish in a series of ponds ... he pumped fresh water from the creek to the farthest pond and it filtered down through all the ponds and back into the creek ... if it was farm related, he was into it ... he ground his own dairy feed from bulk storage bins and had several tall silage storage tanks ... it really was a plantation ... he would also hire a lot of school boys and other people as day laborers ... I even hauled hay for him some when I was in high school ... He turned 92 yesterday and actually cut a little hay last year ... He played basketball for Sam Houston State when he was in college ... He was probably about 6'5" in his younger days ...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...